$Freeroll NLHE MTT: How to play this hands in very beginning of CC freeroll??

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
1) 'Fold' pre is fine. If your table is really passive (with lots of limpers) then consider a call (better if you're in later position)

2.) CB ~3/5 to 2/3 pot '150'
When you choose to C-Bet 'POT' Why?

3.) with a flopped straight (& Straight Flush Draw) while OOP, I'm guessing your plan was to go for a Check-Raise on this flop??
It's an unraised pot pre with a couple limpers on a seemingly passive table (< a bit of an assumption there but two examples show open-limpers AND it is a CC freeroll in early levels ... so.... )
With passive players I'd consider leading out here with the flopped straight. (if they have a piece of it they're gonna call... & if they don't, I doubt they're stabbing at it seeing as they're passive limpers). Bet out 100

As played ...
Turn the board pairs... pretty much a terrible card for us. SB leads out small, less than 1/4 pot (maybe they'd been hoping to check-raise flop??). It's a weird sized bet. IF they'd just turned trips what would be the point of betting so small? It's not getting a flush or straight draw to fold.
Weird sizing.... it is a freeroll.... I'd probably just 'call' (it'd help if I'd been on the table & watched prior play... 'maybe').

River .... What can we beat? It's a crying call at best. My reasoning for calling might be due to our hand being under-repped (villain maybe thinking trips is good... a bit of a stretch).

Personally I think it's often better to post a HandHistory question without showing the results

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
1) I don't mind limping in from the CO here, and a fold is fine. With 78o, you kind of need two pair or a straight to win, but when they do you usually get paid. I know it's sick to see a FH on a hand you folded, but it happens.

2) This was played fine. You picked up 12 BB, and could have gotten beat had a J, K, or spade come on the turn. I would have bet pot also.

3) I would have bet 1/2 pot or better on flop. The chance of one of the other two having two spades is low, and you don't want to see another spade come. If anyone raised, easy fold even with a straight flush draw. Another 1/2 pot on turn should take it down. On the river, it's hard not to call as played.

I think you did fine in all three hands.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hands 1 and 2 are played well. First hand I think is an easy fold pre ante as I wouldnt want to be raising that hand at low blinds with little in the middle and people still to act behind. over limping is ok as long as the players behind will cooperate but by far I think it is best to just fold. Hand 2, the flop betting size is debatable but you dont want to go small here. The board is wet and on top of that we want value from hands that hit it but are second best or are drawing and that will be likely in this case. If they dont have anything then they will be folding to a 60% bet as well. Depends on how you want to look at it but I think 60-100% pot bet size there is fine.

Hand 3 is where I think you made a mistake. You need to be betting that flop not only because you hit a straight to begin with but you have straight flush draw as well. Its unlikely someone else flopped a flush so betting here for value against draws, overpairs, etc. is a must. As played I think I would raise when the turn comes as a min lead out there can mean so many things so I think I would want villain to define their hand more plus I would be raising for value still even with a paired board. As played on the river I think even though the card blows this is just a call based on the odds you are getting and could easily be up against trip sixes which you beat. Betting the flop would have gone a long way in this hand and most likely if you did it you would have had the chips pushed your way instead of villains.

Pudiel

Pudiel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just play it normally man, don't have secrets...

S

spr0ck3t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1) 87o in MP is an easy fold; if you play every hand because you might flop a full house you're a bad loose/passive player.

2) This one's trickier. Preflop is fine esp if you're just always opening 3BB as you learn more of the game. It's a scary board, and I'm not feeling great about the next streets unless the board pairs - with 3 to a broadway straight on the board, I think it's bet and not feel great about callers. You still need to bet to protect your equity. I don't know if this is right either, but I'd probably be betting more like 1/2-2/3 pot. I feel like with this many callers and on this board there's a more correct answer for bet sizing than either of ours, though.

3) Calling from BB seems fine due to pot odds alone, but you have to be careful with these garbage hands. I like the check on the flopped straight with open ended straight flush draw with the intention of check raising. Calling or raising the turn seems right. I think the river is a sigh fold - what are you beating?

D

Delfino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1) Well played
2) Also pretty good. Maybe the bet is a little too big, you want to be called but with flush and straight possibilities I wouldn't bet less than 2/3 of the pot. Nobody had an ace? Oh well that happens. Not much you could do.
3) No idea what you did. Very vulnerable hand - you need to bet it aggressively. More than hand 2). I would bet it 3/4 of the pot.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand 1 87o
Clear fold. As someone already said, there are no antes at this point, which is an argument for playing less hands. Also with a limper we can not go for a blind steel, so even if the players in the blinds were very tight, we would need some kind of hand to enter this pot, and 87o is just not good enough. With a hand like 87s we might limp behind, but extending this idea to also include offsuit connectors is taking it to far. We do want to have that suitedness for added equity and playability.

Hand 2 AA
Line wise completely standard and fine, but a pot-sized C-bet is really large. Unless the opponents are very bad, which is tycically not the case in the CC platinum level freerolls, I would go for a more standard size here like 2/3 pot.

Hand 3 53o
Just fold this pre. We dont need to defend our blinds with junk like this, and even less so without antes. Just like in the first hand 53s would have been more acceptable, but when you extend it down to low offsuit 1-gappers, you are simply calling to much OOP. On the flop you could go for a donk bet, since its a low connected flop and multiway. Preflop raiser is probably not going to C-bet that much with air, and its a bit of a disaster, if it gets checked through. Checking to him is also fine though.

On the turn SB leads, but its for a very small size, and even though a paired board is not, what we were looking for, I would tend to raise this up to finally get some chips in the pot. The river card is really bad putting out a 1-liner to a straight, and you have the arses end of it. You also still lose to a flush or a boat, and now SB comes out with a real bet.

Its kind of optimistic to assume, he is ever betting a worse hand for value, so you are purely trying to catch a bluff, and mainly I would now just hate my life, and how I played this hand earlier on. When we find ourselfes on the river in a really disgusting spot, we should always go back and look at, if we played the earlier streets well. And in this case I think, we could have done a few things differently including simply dumping the hand pre.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands