$Freeroll NLHE MTT: How to get more value here?

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I flopped the nuts here so I think checking is the best play, right? The callers all called an 8x 3bet PF but no one seems to have anything since they just check behind and fold to my River bet. I went with 1/2 pot because with 2 callers to a large 3bet I thought someone would have something they could call with. This is the Cards Chat freeroll and there are some amazing calls made in this game!

Should I have gone smaller or made a small bet on the Flop or Turn?

NL Holdem $0+$0 (40.00BB)
MP2 ($2318)
HJ ($3050)
CO ($2492)
BTN ($4074)
SB ($2460)
HERO ($5544)
UTG ($2735)
EP ($2392)
MP1 ($2450)

Dealt to Hero: Q Q

UTG Folds, EP Folds, MP1 Folds, MP2 Calls $40, HJ Folds, CO Folds, BTN Calls $40, SB Folds, HERO Raises To $320, MP2 Calls $280, BTN Calls $280

Hero SPR on Flop: [2.04 effective]
Flop ($980): T T Q
HERO Checks, MP2 Checks, BTN Checks

Turn ($980): T T Q K
HERO Checks, MP2 Checks, BTN Checks

River ($980): T T Q K Q
HERO Bets $490 (Rem. Stack: $4734), MP2 Folds, BTN Folds

HERO wins: $980

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I like your large isolation size especially in a freeroll, where people are typically going to be very inelastic.

Flop
Betting out here would be fine, but mixing in the slowplay is ok as well. If someone has a T, they are likely going to bet it themselfes, and by checking you allow someone to bluff. The key to a successfull slowplay is, that you wont get drawn out on, and a boat certainly fits that bill.

Turn
When they check back the flop, you need to bet now and start building that pot. Kc was a great card for you, since it could easily have improved someone to top pair, or maybe they picked up a draw. Any ace has a gutshot now. These guys limp-called preflop and checked the flop, so they have not shown any aggressive tendencies, and you can not continue to rely on them building the pot for you. You need to do it yourself.

River
As played obviously betting now, but the issue is, you cant get value from draws any more. If someone has a hand like 98 of clubs, they are surely calling a turn bet, but they have an easy fold now, that their draw has bricked and they are left with just 9 high. And this is why, the turn needs to be bet if not already the flop. You dont need to bomb it on a paired board, but you need to bet at least something and get that pot growing.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It could just be an instance where your callers had low pocket pairs or JJ or AK, so they were content to make it to the river and fold. I would bet the flop. I know the conventional wisdom is to check the nuts on the flop, but this often backfires - either somebody else gets the better nuts or you miss out on value. The only exception to this is maybe a flush board which is checked.

Bet your full house, because it's so unlikely that you flopped it. Maybe rep a straight draw. Something a little less than half pot.

On the turn, kings got there and AJ "got there". Checking is probably fine to induce bets from the straights. You might be able to get another bet out at 1/3 pot or so.

On the river, you have the best hand and nobody is going to call your bet unless they have a ten or kings. Based on previous streets this is unlikely. In this case a check may be worthwhile to induce a bet from a weaker hand to get some more value.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A great flop for you. The perfect check is here, I would do exactly the same. But it is necessary to make at least a small bet on the turn. The opponent will think that you have caught the king. Give them good pot odds on a call with a flush draw, an ace, or even a jack. Betting half a pot on the river doesn't make sense at all. The board has not improved them, so we need to check again and give them the opportunity to bluff.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bet your full house, because it's so unlikely that you flopped it. Maybe rep a straight draw. Something a little less than half pot.

As I said already, I dont think, a flop bet would be terrible. But I do lean towards a check, because they have a lot of hands, that missed this board completely, and we have quite a bit of board lock. What I missed in my original reply was, that a check not only allow them to bluff. It also allow them to catch up to a strong but second best hand, we can get paid by.

On the turn, kings got there and AJ "got there".

Like this turn, where, as you say, AJ "got there". It would be a disaster, if we bet the flop, and now someone makes a tight fold with AJ, because they only have a gutshot. We want to keep hands like that involved, because they are basically drawing dead, and our opponents have reverse implied odds, if they improve. Same story with a underpair. If someone has a hand like 55, we dont want them to fold on the flop. We want them to stay involved and hopefully hit their 2-outer to a worse boat, so we can stack them.

On the turn however there are way more hands, that have connected and can pay us but wont always bet when checked to. So my prefered line here is check flop, bet turn, but I dont think, it would be a big mistake to put out a small flop bet either.