$Freeroll NLHE MTT: How do you maximize the value of quads?

BoddJonar

BoddJonar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys! Once again sorry for this format, I cant convert histories when they arrive via the e-mail!
My question here is how do I maximize the value of top quads?
Was this play alright or was it bad?
I realize this is really opponent based, but I blacked out and I was scared they would all fold. Kind of hard to know what to do if you're a rookie like me.

pokerstars Hand #131942680801: Zoom Tournament #1166267788, Freeroll Hold'em No Limit - Level XIII (600/1200) - 2015/03/12 22:11:43 CET [2015/03/12 17:11:43 ET]
Table '1166267788 55' 6-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: osse65 (9652 in chips)
Seat 2: BoddJonar (47789 in chips)
Seat 3: piggy_bank01 (37554 in chips)
Seat 4: yang fu king (48349 in chips)
Seat 5: mumsarn (35220 in chips)
Seat 6: zipzzz (11936 in chips)
osse65: posts the ante 125
BoddJonar: posts the ante 125
piggy_bank01: posts the ante 125
yang fu king: posts the ante 125
mumsarn: posts the ante 125
zipzzz: posts the ante 125
piggy_bank01: posts small blind 600
yang fu king: posts big blind 1200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to BoddJonar [Ah As]
mumsarn: folds
zipzzz: folds
osse65: folds
BoddJonar: calls 1200
piggy_bank01: calls 600
yang fu king: checks
*** FLOP *** [7c Ad Ac]
piggy_bank01: checks
yang fu king: checks
BoddJonar: checks
*** TURN *** [7c Ad Ac] [Jd]
piggy_bank01: bets 2175
yang fu king: calls 2175
BoddJonar: calls 2175
*** RIVER *** [7c Ad Ac Jd] [8h]
piggy_bank01: bets 3600
yang fu king: folds
BoddJonar: raises 8400 to 12000
piggy_bank01 said, "bluff?"
piggy_bank01: calls 8400
*** SHOW DOWN ***
BoddJonar: shows [Ah As] (four of a kind, Aces)
piggy_bank01: mucks hand
BoddJonar collected 34875 from pot
piggy_bank01 said, "wtf"
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 34875 | Rake 0
Board [7c Ad Ac Jd 8h]
Seat 1: osse65 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: BoddJonar (button) showed [Ah As] and won (34875) with four of a kind, Aces
Seat 3: piggy_bank01 (small blind) mucked [Js Kd]
Seat 4: yang fu king (big blind) folded on the River
Seat 5: mumsarn folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: zipzzz folded before Flop (didn't bet)

So how would you do?

Cheers

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's pretty hard to get value for hands like quads and above, the reason is prety obvious and simple, but players never have anything here on the flop.

So the flop check is great, when the J falls and since players dont fold pairs i think we can like raise to maybe 5k to build the pot and get some calls, then value bet the river large also.

but i mean overall calling is ok too, just the reason i like raising more is that we can get more value on the turn here, and theres scare cards that can hit for our opponants on rivers like the two flush draws whcih will kill out value on the river sometimes. so ya i raise small on turn hoping to get at least one call, then value bet river hard. but you got pretty good value here considering you flopped Quad aces, lol.

P

PBG789

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure a raise on the turn would have got the call as it looks suspiciously strong whereas the way you played it made your river raise appear to be a bluff. Imo you did a great job extracting value here.

Flayst

Flayst

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you played it about as well as anyone could hope, except I don't personally agree with limping with AA in almost any situation. A min-raise pre-flop can make such a big difference by the river and, well, I don't need to make the argument here against limping AA, it's been hashed out in detail in many places. There are pros and cons of course, I just personally disagree with that move.

The flop check is a must, a turn raise after a flop check would probably make them fold, and the river bet is probably the exact perfect amount to get a call. Any larger on the river and they may be able to lay down whatever they are holding, any smaller and they would realize you want them to call.

Short answer: WELL PLAYED, nice job keeping your cool.

Flayst

Flayst

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, the "wtf" after the showdown is classic, and I'm so glad that it was included in the hand converter! I got a good laugh out of that, and hope you did too.

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One thing is sure. He can't hold a ace so it will be hard to get value from it. Depending on the opponent you can try and let him bluff. If he is a callingstation i would cbet for sure. Really depends on the kind of player who is in the pot. I like the check 3-way to let one of the opponents catch a good card on the turn/river. I probably play it the same way. Check flop, bet turn and river. But when you check the flop it will look stronger then betting for some players.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Turn was raise 2.5x , no one not fold on this raise you give good odds for villains call. In river 3.5x raise, this is the maximum value that you can get with quads..

4soul

4soul

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like your play....but most of the time, in late is simply to play AA than other moments from mtts...don't know if you could gain more chips knowing what the others hands....:D gg!

BoddJonar

BoddJonar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll take it with me :)

Himanshu

Himanshu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its hard to get value on 4 aces unless someone holding a set or big pairs you just bet your hand and hope someone makes an over aggressive play.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this particular situation you got max value. Were you hoping they BOTH stacked off to you?

But I don't understand why you would limp your AA when it folds to your button? terrible. people limp AA from early position and I disagree with that, but at least there are still 8 more players who could wake up with a hand or decide to bluff.

Open limping any strong hand in late position is just throwing away value because any raise you make is already suspect. It's so easy to raise and get somebody to stack off with a hand like AQ or 88 when it's Button vs. Blinds. And quite often they'll 3bet you with air (I know I will).

THAT'S where you're missing value, IMO. forget about how to extract max value when you flop the mortal nuts (which will rarely happen) and focus more on extracting solid value with your regular strong hands (like AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK) which as a set of hands will happen about a million times more often than flopping quad aces!

BoddJonar

BoddJonar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this particular situation you got max value. Were you hoping they BOTH stacked off to you?

But I don't understand why you would limp your AA when it folds to your button? terrible. people limp AA from early position and I disagree with that, but at least there are still 8 more players who could wake up with a hand or decide to bluff.

Open limping any strong hand in late position is just throwing away value because any raise you make is already suspect. It's so easy to raise and get somebody to stack off with a hand like AQ or 88 when it's Button vs. Blinds. And quite often they'll 3bet you with air (I know I will).

THAT'S where you're missing value, IMO. forget about how to extract max value when you flop the mortal nuts (which will rarely happen) and focus more on extracting solid value with your regular strong hands (like AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK) which as a set of hands will happen about a million times more often than flopping quad aces!

Haha well one could only hope. I limped because the table was nitty and I was afraid I would scare both of them of with a raise. What size would a good raise be? Like 2,5 bbs or more?
Thanks for the pointers, I'll take it with me :)

B

bremensha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once an ace appears you have to wait to bet till reaching the river.
It is much too dangerous for anyone to call a raise from you previously as there will be the threat of a big C-bet