$Freeroll NLHE MTT: FPP satellite JKs BTN multiway!

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker stars, $0.01 Buy-in (3,500/7,000 blinds, 700 ante) No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 6 Players

Fairly unknown player's
UTG: 68/19 limp 50 hands 19 - brand label "ocean blue"
SB: 13/8 limp 8; 63 hands - haven't seen him out of line yet!
BB: 18/10 limp 6; hands 98

SB: 151,144 (21.6 bb)
BB: 123,196 (17.6 bb)
UTG: 110,453 (15.8 bb)
MP: 442,308 (63.2 bb)
CO: 79,399 (11.3 bb)
Hero (BTN): 122,500 (17.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with K
diamond4.gif
J
diamond4.gif

UTG calls 7,000, 2 folds, Hero calls 7,000, SB completes, BB checks

Flop: (32,200) 4
diamond4.gif
J
heart4.gif
diamond4.gif
(4 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG bets 14,000, Hero?

What would be your game plan at that point is the main question for discussion

Hero decision's is on spoiler! - Ofc. you can comment all line, but before you look, answer the main question above :)!

Hero calls 14,000, 2 folds

Turn: (60,200) 6
diamond4.gif
(2 players)
UTG bets 88,753 and is all-in, Hero calls 88,753

River: (237,706) 2
club4.gif
(2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: 237,706 pot
Final Board: 4
diamond4.gif
J
heart4.gif
diamond4.gif
diamond4.gif
club4.gif

UTG showed 5
club4.gif
spade4.gif
and lost (-110,453 net)
Hero showed K
diamond4.gif
J
diamond4.gif
and won 237,706 (127,253 net)

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is FT, but it does not change much imo..4 place gets FPP and 3 places get reward! Do not look spoiler, first comment and then look.

PCK

PCK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would shove here , we play for top 3 here,we have top pair and a strong flush draw

ZekeRam

ZekeRam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would shove here , we play for top 3 here,we have top pair and a strong flush draw

I'd have to disagree, shoving 100k into a 55k pot is a bad move, you're going to lose so much value. Hero has position over villain, I'd call the flop, bet/raise the turn.

B

bremensha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is one of the best flops you can get. Therefor you should go for all or nothing.

P

PBG789

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As Zekeram has said you have position which is key here. UTG is an aggro player so his limp pre-flop tells you next to nothing as his range is wide open so your call is fine. Both blinds have come along for the ride which is important.

Flop - when the blinds have checked to the villain he has bet the minimum which is less than a quarter of the pot. This, imo, suggests he has a strong made hand and wants to keep some customers. For that reason, and because the blinds have still to act again, the flat call on the flop is probably the best play where you can then re-evaluate on the turn. A shove will simply get worse hands to fold and get called by better and I don't like a raise because the small bet looks so suspicious. Right now I don't think the hero is ahead.

Have now looked at the result and the turn was a perfect card. Doesn't pair the board (sets were well within the villains range) and gives you a very strong hand. As it turns out if you had shoved the flop you would probably have been called and still won the hand but it wouldn't have been the best play. The villain makes it easy by shoving as you don't even have to try and extract value from your flush

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KJs very marginal hand that playing in multiway pot when you have less 20bb, if you limp other players get good odds for limp too..

So here only shove or fold, in pot already around 20% of your stack and UTG high blind limper ( he very often fold on shove), it is a very good situation for shove, always be very profitable.. If someone call, you will always have around 45% equity vs range calling.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ya shove or fold works. I also think min-raising can be a viable option if you are not adverse to getting in weird spots postflop.

as played postflop whatever you do, don't play passive and don't fold ;)

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As Zekeram has said you have position which is key here. UTG is an aggro player so his limp pre-flop tells you next to nothing as his range is wide open so your call is fine. Both blinds have come along for the ride which is important.

I think it is the best play preflop vs this type villain and the situation which occured, thanks for your comments all of you!

It is late game strategy and its more then just push fold preflop with average stack! Never will go into gorilla mode here, this is high variance spot which can be avoided imo

postflop is simple - take the line where you can gain the max value! imo

Last edited:
H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would shove here likewise.

In my mind, Im ahead on the flop and want to take the pot right here.

Surely he can have set, but such occurrence is minimal.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a hand to go to war with. We should only be concerned with how to get all the money into the pot...and I'm not so sure that shoving is the best way to do it.

Flatting is fine with the intention of betting/raising on the turn.

However, our hand will lose a lot of value on certain turn cards, so I think a min-raise on the flop is probably what I would do. Gets the pot size ready for a pot sized jam on the turn. Buys us a little protection from random overcards, keeps our customer on the hook if he has ANYTHING. And notice that unless he has a set we don't really care what he has. If he has a flush draw we've got blockers and top pair. If he has a better Jack or overcards, we've got the flush draw. Obviously if he had nothing then we're pretty much not going to win anything on this hand anyways so don't worry about that.

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a hand to go to war with. We should only be concerned with how to get all the money into the pot...and I'm not so sure that shoving is the best way to do it.

Flatting is fine with the intention of betting/raising on the turn.

However, our hand will lose a lot of value on certain turn cards, so I think a min-raise on the flop is probably what I would do. Gets the pot size ready for a pot sized jam on the turn. Buys us a little protection from random overcards, keeps our customer on the hook if he has ANYTHING. And notice that unless he has a set we don't really care what he has. If he has a flush draw we've got blockers and top pair. If he has a better Jack or overcards, we've got the flush draw. Obviously if he had nothing then we're pretty much not going to win anything on this hand anyways so don't worry about that.

I thought about what you said "marked bold" - I had a still a little hope to get blinds come along on flop...

Shoving flop - meh, will not do!

Thanks for your comment!

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
UTG: 68/19, with stats like this, I'd actually be more inclined to raising the flop for many reasons.

A) To build the pot so we get better SPR on the river. So on flop with his lead out, I'd go about 33k back at him (He's never folding once he's raised), as these types of players tend to to bet out with usually Jx (lower kicker)+they will also bet their stronger hands, but I mean that's just an unfortunate scenario (If they have like a AJ+2pair+set).

B) On turn assuming they call flop Re-Raise, than On turn depending on their action, we have left more or less 90k and the pot should be about 90k. I would bet around 43k on turn. And I'd get It A.I on river (without an Ace/straight cards coming), but that's my plan for the hand.

Poker Tells