$Freeroll NLHE MTT: Fold or call?

es530

es530

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker stars Freeroll No Limit Hold'em Tournament, Blinds: t1,500/t3,000, Ante: t300 Conversor de Mãos

9 players
UTG+2: t16,520 ( M:2.29 )
MP: t161,897 ( M:22.49 )
MP+1: t62,703 ( M:8.71 )
CO: t303,723 ( M:42.18 )
BTN: t325,569 ( M:45.22 )
SB: t17,504 ( M:2.43 )
BB: t63,303 ( M:8.79 )
UTG: t114,804 ( M:15.95 )
Hero: t185,824 ( M:25.81 )

Hero is UTG+1 with 6
diamonds.gif
, 6
clubs.gif

Preflop: ( t7,200 )
1 fold, Hero raises to t6,000, 1 fold, MP calls t6,000, MP+1 calls t6,000, CO calls t6,000, 2 folds, BB calls t3,000

Flop: ( t34,200 ) 6
spades.gif
, 9
spades.gif
, 7
clubs.gif
(5 players)
BB checks, Hero bets t18,000, MP calls t18,000, 1 fold, CO calls t18,000, 1 fold

Turn: ( t88,200 ) T
diamonds.gif
(3 players)
Hero checks, MP bets t137,597, 2 folds

Final Pot: t88,200
MP does not show
MP collects t88,200 from pot

dealio96

dealio96

The LAG Monkeys
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold and move on. Tournaments are marathons, and in order to stay in the race, you have to pick and choose your stacking spots wisely.

obv, nobody likes folding sets but I feel you're behind here. You're just not getting the proper odds to call with your 25% equity.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With your size of the stack only fold preflop because it is already 5% you stack, not so often be set.

In flop check/raise much better , because in pot 2 villain some one can bet and board wet , that we can play on whole stack.. If all check , we can fold in turn if will be bad card ( 8 or T )

G

glemly

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
maybe I'm a bit confused by the "t" before every stack count, but you only have ~16,520/3300 = 5 blinds.

with 5 blinds in a tournament you should be shoving/folding every time. The only case I could ever see that would warrant a straight call with only 4 blinds behind you would be if you were in the small blind.

Here, with only 5 blinds, pocket 6s is an easy all-in. You can't ask for more than a pocket pair like that with so few chips left. Your mistake was raising for half your stack and then letting them see a flop. By doing this you are already committing yourself completely to the hand. It would be a poor move to fold with 2 blinds behind you if, say the flop scared you.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"t" = tournament chips , hero has around 60 big blinds or 25M

TheGodson

TheGodson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are playing in a freeroll. You can expect to see QQ, JJ, Tx,, two pair, and absolute garbage. It is a freeroll and the players aren't going to have strong holdings often enough for you to come close to folding there. You may see 8x every now and then, but you'll also see weird crap like 72o.

ammytyagi

ammytyagi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
IN
Chips
I would have also fold here. Odds of your set getting beaten by higher set or straight are high on such a wet board.

I

Inv

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold. The odds are not on your side here.

G

glemly

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"t" = tournament chips , hero has around 60 big blinds or 25M

:eek: yeah I just realized I was looking at the UTG+2 chip stack. Just completely disregard my first post.

K

Karametric

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold, chances are pretty good one of the other guys has that 8. especially with a shove (i've noticed in freerolls people tend to shove with a better hand more rather than raise for value because less opponents are disciplined enough to fold good hands vs made draws.)

It sucks folding sets, even more than it sucks folding AA postflop. but sometimes, like here, it is the right move. You have a nice healthy stack to play with for a better opportunity.

TheGodson

TheGodson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If we assign opponent the range of:

QQ-77,ATs,A8s,KTs,K8s,QTs,Q8s,JTs,J8s,T6s+,97s+,85s+,ATo,A8o,KTo,K8o,QTo,Q8o,JTo,J8o,T7o+,97o+,86o+

then we have 51.17% equity and this is a snap call. I didn't even include any flush draws in opponent's range, but if I did are odds would be even better. Sets and other two pair hands are likely raising the flop, but it is a freeroll so you never can be too sure.

If you think that I'm wrong and a lot of these hands are folding preflop. Like T6s for instance then 86o would be folded too. So whether you put him on a loose or tight preflop range it doesn't really matter since if he is tighter there will be less str8 combos making it almost always a call.

Honestly what range are you guys putting this guy on. Only 8x? He never does this with two pair or a spade draw?

C

Caissa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If we assign opponent the range of:

QQ-77,ATs,A8s,KTs,K8s,QTs,Q8s,JTs,J8s,T6s+,97s+,85s+,ATo,A8o,KTo,K8o,QTo,Q8o,JTo,J8o,T7o+,97o+,86o+

then we have 51.17% equity and this is a snap call. I didn't even include any flush draws in opponent's range, but if I did are odds would be even better. Sets and other two pair hands are likely raising the flop, but it is a freeroll so you never can be too sure.

If you think that I'm wrong and a lot of these hands are folding preflop. Like T6s for instance then 86o would be folded too. So whether you put him on a loose or tight preflop range it doesn't really matter since if he is tighter there will be less str8 combos making it almost always a call.

Honestly what range are you guys putting this guy on. Only 8x? He never does this with two pair or a spade draw?

I tend to agree with this. It is definitely not a forgone conclusion that the Villain has made a straight. Something doesn't seem right. If he's on a draw does he call the flop? Although maybe your bet on the flop could have been a bit higher you still didn't give him great odds to chase a draw unless he has something to go with it (which he very well may have).

On the turn maybe he thinks you missed your draw and he's got top pair, second pair, an overpair and doesn't want to give you another card.

I also think you might have showed weakness when you checked the turn. Were you scared of the straight? Could he have possibly picked up on that and tried to scare you off your hand? I have found that when I am OOP and I check the turn a lot of time the Villain trounces on me with a bet that I could never call, especially if the board is wet or doesn't have any broadways. I have no idea what he is holding in this case and I have to fold.

I'm really not sure about all this. It was a freeroll. I had a simliar situation that I posted on here about a month ago where I had a set of threes on a very wet board. Two people went all in ahead of me and I figured one of them must have made their straight. I folded and Villain number one took down the pot showing a pair of fives. I was sick but I got valuable feedback on the forum which basically amounted to "never fold a set". If you get beat you just have to eat it. I've been playing by that since and haven't had any problems.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would call here.

My hand is live. I might even be ahead here going on the river.

Folding in Poker