Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys, i have a question
I was playing the CC freeroll then it happened:
I had AK at CO with 38bbs
UTG limps, UTG+1 limps and UTG+3 raises 4.5x
Everyone folds and now its my time to say
I tought it wasnt a tribet because i would be pot commited (4.5bb x3 = 13.5bbs.- tribet size 2x13,5bb+1bb+1bb+2,5bbs = 31,5bb pot against 25bb left - my stack after tribeting)
Then i just shoved, the villain calls with AQs
I lost (bad beats are killing me) and he says on the chat: this is for you to learn not to shove 38bbs
I did something wrong?
TY guys

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a free roll I would 1000 percent play it the same way. The initial raise is so large that you'd have to put in almost half your chips for a standard size raise. You could play like 13 bb 3 bet but especially in a free roll you risk limpers calling and all of a sudden you are in a 3 or 4 way all in. Jamming you block aa and kk, and you give bad odds for medium pairs to call and hope for a flip.

The aq is actually the one that played it bad. He has no business calling your jam with that holding as he'll literally never be ahead. Best case you have like tens or something and he's a slight underdog.

And in general, you are best off not getting into a back and forth with players. Don't explain why your play was correct and his was wrong. No sense giving advice or educating players you might run into in the future. Hopefully he keeps calling in that spot with aq

ironduke11

ironduke11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yea i agree with the poster before me, reasoning to other players about why they were wrong only frustrates you in the end.

G

Gusborgs22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
yea i agree with the poster before me, reasoning to other players about why they were wrong only frustrates you in the end.

In a free roll I would 1000 percent play it the same way. The initial raise is so large that you'd have to put in almost half your chips for a standard size raise. You could play like 13 bb 3 bet but especially in a free roll you risk limpers calling and all of a sudden you are in a 3 or 4 way all in. Jamming you block aa and kk, and you give bad odds for medium pairs to call and hope for a flip.

The aq is actually the one that played it bad. He has no business calling your jam with that holding as he'll literally never be ahead. Best case you have like tens or something and he's a slight underdog.

And in general, you are best off not getting into a back and forth with players. Don't explain why your play was correct and his was wrong. No sense giving advice or educating players you might run into in the future. Hopefully he keeps calling in that spot with aq

Thanks for the replies guys
Now it's clear in my mind
GLGL

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First thing is to not let idiots affect you in chat. Not saying it affected you but if you havent already let that go in one eye and out the other when you read that crap. Depending on what site you play on I would either turn chat off or if its ACR just have the info show of what place in your in instead of the chat. The chatter made a bad call (which happens a lot in freerolls) and then has talks smack cause he sucked out. The reason why it is a bad call (which apparently they dont know) is that what is your jamming range here? I dont love jamming 38 BBs here which Ill discuss below but if I jam here my range is high end thinking a worse hand will call. I am not jamming something mediocre here in a freeroll trying to get a better hand to fold (never happening in a freeroll which I think you know and villain should know if they seem to know everything as they think they do). My jamming range if I were to jam would be JJ, QQ, AK ( I am looking for action with AA and KK). You can see AQ suited against that range is garbage so it was a terrible call by villain and you can feel vindicated in that regard.

As far as jamming is concerned I agree with the idea that if we 3 bet to a sizing that is what is should be then we are at least close to committed. The problem I have with shoving though (this doesnt apply to most freerolls but against thinking opponents) is that are we ever shoving the top of our range here? We wouldnt want a fold if we have AA or KK here so smart villains should be able to narrow you there and make the correct play against you. In a freeroll however you will get called by much worse hands that AQ suited here so jamming AK for value here on this stack size is fine. However, if we were deeper or there was not as large a raise in front of us 3 betting would then be fine. I will also call here at times with hand which sounds dumb but in freerolls we know we have a good chance of getting called post flop so we can keep the pot small now (assuming no one behind will 3 bet which a lot of freerollers dont do often) and then if we hit we can play aggressively and most likely get paid off by a station. The jam is fine though and you got called by worse

B

Badday94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Either you call or you jam here. If there weren't 2 limpers behind who in freerolls always call the 4.5x raise (so annoying) and could beat you with some crap hand, I would have just called, because 38 bb is a bit deep to jam and too thin to 3 bet. So given the circumstances, I like your jam and it's the best decision here.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This jam is completely fine, since it was a much larger than normal open, and there were some extra chips in the pot from the limpers as well. As a rule of thumb, when the pot is already 20% of your stack or more, jamming is often the best play, if you want to play the hand. Here the pot was 4,5 (raiser) + 2 (limpers) + 2,5 (blinds and antes) = 9 BB, so you were allowed to jam up to a 45 BB stack.

Now with 45BB I would probably go for a small 3-bet, but for 38BB I would also have jammed. AK has very little risk of being in bad shape (only AA and KK, which we block), and its not a hand, that play well multiway or in a low SPR pot, when we miss. So if you are going to spilt your range up, AK definitely goes in the jamming range, and especially when people cant fold AQ and possibly other hands, that you dominate.

When we normally say to not jam more than 20-25BB in a single raised pot, its because, we assume a single raiser, who went for something like 2,0-2,5BB, and then the pot is only 4,5-5 BB or half the size of the pot in your hand. When there is twice as much out there, you can also risk twice as much to pick it up.

This is actually not all that complicated to understand, so its clearly your opponent, who is fairly clueless about poker strategy. Or he was trying to tilt you after making a questionable call and then sucking out on you. As others have said, you should always ignore it, if someone is commenting in the chat about your play. It usually say a lot more about them than you, and this time was no exception.