$Freeroll NLHE MTT: CC final table: Check on the river?

A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 0 Tournament, 300/600 Blinds 50 Ante (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://flopturnriver.com

Hero (MP2) (t16,604)
MP3 (t25,788)
CO (t12,758)
Button (t14,465)
SB (t1,115)
BB (t27,522)
UTG (t5,558)
UTG+1 (t9,488)
MP1 (t6,702)

Hero's M: 12.30

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J
spade.gif
, 10
club.gif

3 folds, Hero raises to t1,200, 4 folds, BB calls t600

Flop: (t3,150) K
diamond.gif
, 9
spade.gif
, Q
club.gif
(2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets t1,575, BB calls t1,575

Turn: (t6,300) 3
diamond.gif
(2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets t3,150, BB calls t3,150

River: (t12,600) 4
diamond.gif
(2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets t6,300, BB raises to t21,547 (All-In), Hero calls t4,329 (All-In)

Total pot: t33,858

Results below:
BB had J
diamond.gif
, A
diamond.gif
(flush, Ace high).
Hero had J
spade.gif
, 10
club.gif
(straight, King high).
Outcome: BB won t33,858

P

PBG789

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO villain play is pretty ridiculous and it is pretty difficult for hero to put villain on a flush the way the hand was played. The only hand that even makes remote sense for the villain to have that beats the hero is AQd and that seems pretty unlikely. I would be putting villain on K9 Q9 99 (or JT!) and would think I was betting for value on the river.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In freeroll fold preflop this marginal hand. In river easy call, very good pot odds and very often villain will have flush.

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a bit of a cooler me thinks. I cannot see how i could have got away with this. You played it fine. :angel:

Some really tricky players here at the tables. Beware !:afraid:

D

dean1810

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all i dont like stealing from big stack, u try to avoid big stack as much as possible cuz everytime u risk of getting busted.
Flop is fine, turn i think u can bet little higher cuz he can have two pairs, flash draw and shiet want him to pay when u have nuts, river is kinda tricky he checks the nuts so its hard to figure out what he havin i dont think he calls you with top pair or two pairs with raise that high, he would probbably stick all in at the turn cuz of drawy board, so u could either raise small enough to add you room to fold, or just check as well.

StuffBarnaul

StuffBarnaul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually check in such situations. Opp calling with some quantity of outs, one of most possible outs in on board. I check in tournaments, raise is good for cash tables.

A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In freeroll fold preflop this marginal hand. In river easy call, very good pot odds and very often villain will have flush.

Was not easy to put him in a range, I dismissed every possibility of bad play. Ahh! Well, he got the best of me.

A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a bit of a cooler me thinks. I cannot see how i could have got away with this. You played it fine. :angel:

Some really tricky players here at the tables. Beware !:afraid:

Kinda noticing it! More trickier than most of the other freerolls, it seems.

Made a note, and waiting for the next time. :icon_blac

A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all i dont like stealing from big stack, u try to avoid big stack as much as possible cuz everytime u risk of getting busted.
Flop is fine, turn i think u can bet little higher cuz he can have two pairs, flash draw and shiet want him to pay when u have nuts, river is kinda tricky he checks the nuts so its hard to figure out what he havin i dont think he calls you with top pair or two pairs with raise that high, he would probbably stick all in at the turn cuz of drawy board, so u could either raise small enough to add you room to fold, or just check as well.

Quite the opposite, I'll always needle the big stack. This time he got the best out of me. Wasn't expecting such a play there. But there's always a next time and you see, CC freeroll isn't too crowded. :joyman:

A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually check in such situations. Opp calling with some quantity of outs, one of most possible outs in on board. I check in tournaments, raise is good for cash tables.

Anywhere you lose value is a bad play in general, imo. My question was more inclined towards whether I should check there to get information 'cause he would still be there in the table or should I value-bet, where there's a very good chance that he might fold.

D

dean1810

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Quite the opposite, I'll always needle the big stack. This time he got the best out of me. Wasn't expecting such a play there. But there's always a next time and you see, CC freeroll isn't too crowded. :joyman:

Well yeah but in higher stakes people will leverege their stack against a guys who steals wide middle position by 3 -betting, its just risking money for no reason. Even if it is a freeroll he is a station so what do you do if u dont hit anything raise flop, fold turn?? Most of bad players does that

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the trickier here is the hero and not villain.

The villain has all the reasons to stay especially on the turn.

N

neilv93

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the only problem was the half-pot betting. On the flop you have the nuts so betting half-pot is fine so that you keep hands like middle-pair, etc still involved. But the turn opened up the possibility for a diamond flush draw to catch up.

With the pot at 6,300 and you having 14,000ish behind I'd probably be looking to bet around the 4,000-4,500 mark to give the flush draw incorrect odds for the call.

Additionally, say you make the turn 4,100 and get a call, the pot going into the river is 14,500 and you have 9,900 behind, meaning you can straight up jam. That way if, like in your example, the flush comes in then you don't have to make a difficult decision should you bet half-pot and get shoved into.

A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the trickier here is the hero and not villain.

The villain has all the reasons to stay especially on the turn.

Well, that's a different debate altogether. :D

Coming to the hand, you mean to say, whenever I'm a big stack I should call down on a gut shot and an over on the flop? And then on the turn, I would call down when I get a flush draw to go with it? Is it?

A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the only problem was the half-pot betting. On the flop you have the nuts so betting half-pot is fine so that you keep hands like middle-pair, etc still involved. But the turn opened up the possibility for a diamond flush draw to catch up.

With the pot at 6,300 and you having 14,000ish behind I'd probably be looking to bet around the 4,000-4,500 mark to give the flush draw incorrect odds for the call.

Additionally, say you make the turn 4,100 and get a call, the pot going into the river is 14,500 and you have 9,900 behind, meaning you can straight up jam. That way if, like in your example, the flush comes in then you don't have to make a difficult decision should you bet half-pot and get shoved into.

Yeah I agree, the bet-sizing was really bad.

A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well yeah but in higher stakes people will leverege their stack against a guys who steals wide middle position by 3 -betting, its just risking money for no reason. Even if it is a freeroll he is a station so what do you do if u dont hit anything raise flop, fold turn?? Most of bad players does that

To be honest, I don't play the same in any buy-in games.
What do I do when I miss, I value bet. :D
Its only freeroll where I would mess with the big stack and I do it once or twice, not risking my stack too much (its the other way round in this case, I got busted). But if I get a good hand and I do the same play, big stacks are much more likely to play light against me and thence, my shot at a double up. ;)