mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
SB stats after 69 hands: VPIP 37 PFR 21 Limp 14 Post flop AGG 0.75 StealPct 50 and 3-bet 13.79

So my thinking was this: I know he likes to steal a lot from late position but when he bet the flop that much I thought that I had the better hand, because if he had Kx, 44+, A4, A8, AK he would have bet a like 1/3 or 1/2 pot not that much as he did. It feels like he bet this big to make me fold a K2 - KJ type of hand.

It's my thinking off?

pokerstars - 50/100 Ante 10 NL - Holdem - 8 players

UTG+1: 1,514 (15.1 bb)
MP: 3,647 (36.5 bb)
MP+1: 1,700 (17 bb)
CO: 3,009 (30.1 bb)
BTN: 1,299 (13 bb)
SB: 2,615 (26.2 bb)
Hero (BB): 6,259 (62.6 bb)
UTG: 7,011 (70.1 bb)

8 players post ante of 10, SB posts 50, Hero posts BB 100

Pre Flop: (pot: 230) Hero has :as4: :8h4:
6 folds, SB raises to 300, Hero calls 200

Flop: (680, 2 players) :kh4: :8s4: :4c4:
SB bets 510, Hero raises to 5,949 and is all-in, SB calls 1,795 and is all-in

Turn: (5,290, 2 players) :qh4:

River: (5,290, 2 players) :qc4:

Results: 5,290 pot (0 rake)
Final Board: :kh4: :8s4: :4c4: :qh4: :qc4:

SB shows :ah4: :jc4:: (One Pair, Queens)
(Pre 73%, Flop 15%, Turn 16%)

Hero shows :as4: :8h4:: (Two Pair, Queens and Eights)
(Pre 27%, Flop 85%, Turn 84%)

Hero wins 5,290

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Raising from SB into the chip leader is a pretty strong move. So while you could jam on him here, I like your decision to just call and basically see, what happen.

Flop
I am not totally on board with your idea, that a big bet is a weaker hand than a small bet. I think, you are levelling yourself with this way of thinking. Fundamental theory is, that we should call small bets more frequently than big bets. With that being said second pair has to be a call even with his sizing.

But I dont like your decision to jam. Facing this action he should be snapping you off with all his value hands, which you lose to, and fold all his bluffs, which basically mean, he is playing perfect. This is especially true, because the board is so dry, meaning that he cant have any high equity draws.

This time jamming the flop worked out for you, since he called with just AJ high. But this is not something, I would expect an unknown player to do, not even in a game like the CC platinum freerolls. So I think, you got lucky here to run into someone, who was on tilt, had to go or just had a completely broken fold button in general.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Raising from SB into the chip leader is a pretty strong move. So while you could jam on him here, I like your decision to just call and basically see, what happen.

Flop
I am not totally on board with your idea, that a big bet is a weaker hand than a small bet. I think, you are levelling yourself with this way of thinking. Fundamental theory is, that we should call small bets more frequently than big bets. With that being said second pair has to be a call even with his sizing.

But I dont like your decision to jam. Facing this action he should be snapping you off with all his value hands, which you lose to, and fold all his bluffs, which basically mean, he is playing perfect. This is especially true, because the board is so dry, meaning that he cant have any high equity draws.

This time jamming the flop worked out for you, since he called with just AJ high. But this is not something, I would expect an unknown player to do, not even in a game like the CC platinum freerolls. So I think, you got lucky here to run into someone, who was on tilt, had to go or just had a completely broken fold button in general.

I am terrible at these hands where it is blind vs blind (especially when I am in the BB facing a raise from SB) and I have a hand that is good but not great. If you dont mind I would like to pick your brain a little about this hand. My questions to you are not to be taken in a sense of "what the hell were you thinking when you wrote that" but more of a "why do you think that so I can understand it and try to get better". I totally get the pre action as Ax is too good to fold there. The flop though I get confused and scared when I play in these hands. You said this is a call even with this sizing. What is your thought process then going forward in the hand? At this stack depth and villain already putting in 800 do we see them giving up often? I would think not so what is our game plan then going to the turn when an overcard comes? An undercard? I feel like if we make this call given the stack depth then we are bluff catching (I get that) but how much bluff catching should we be prepared to do in these spots and how far do we go with it? I find myself folding the flop in this spot (probably incorrect) since I feel like I will have to go all the way with what undoubtedly will be mid pair by the time the river comes. Just always feel lost here (probably because I feel like I cant range villain as they will be opening super wide here) and have my frequencies of calling and folding way off.

Sorry for all the questions (I bolded them) but hoping you can give your insight of what you would be thinking while playing this hand and your thoughts on future streets after you make the call on the flop.

Tigroslav

Tigroslav

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villains stats scream passive fish.
More likely than not he had some kind of hand in LP
rather than pure steal (KT+ any pair)
I think calling A8o here is way too marginal against a passive player raising pre flop.
Even more important stacking off with just a pair of 8 when his range is so King heavy
is definitely bleeding EV.
I'm folding pre flop.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am terrible at these hands where it is blind vs blind (especially when I am in the BB facing a raise from SB) and I have a hand that is good but not great. If you dont mind I would like to pick your brain a little about this hand. My questions to you are not to be taken in a sense of "what the hell were you thinking when you wrote that" but more of a "why do you think that so I can understand it and try to get better". I totally get the pre action as Ax is too good to fold there. The flop though I get confused and scared when I play in these hands. You said this is a call even with this sizing. What is your thought process then going forward in the hand? At this stack depth and villain already putting in 800 do we see them giving up often? I would think not so what is our game plan then going to the turn when an overcard comes? An undercard? I feel like if we make this call given the stack depth then we are bluff catching (I get that) but how much bluff catching should we be prepared to do in these spots and how far do we go with it? I find myself folding the flop in this spot (probably incorrect) since I feel like I will have to go all the way with what undoubtedly will be mid pair by the time the river comes. Just always feel lost here (probably because I feel like I cant range villain as they will be opening super wide here) and have my frequencies of calling and folding way off.

Sorry for all the questions (I bolded them) but hoping you can give your insight of what you would be thinking while playing this hand and your thoughts on future streets after you make the call on the flop.

I think, these are great questions, and I am happy to answer them. First off all I think, a lot of tournament players are uncomfortable playing turns and rivers, and therefore they get into this mindset of always wanting to end the hand preflop or on the flop. In this case either by folding (you) or by moving him all-in (hero). But turns and rivers are where, a lot of EV is won or lost, and these streets are not always easy for the opponent either. So first of all I think, this is something, both you and hero in this hand might want to work on.

That being said this spot certainly is awkward with just over a pot sized bet left, if we call. But we need to remember, that its also awkward for the opponent, unless he have fat value, and its his tournament life at risk. You say, that you dont see him giving up often, and I kind of disagree with that. Its certainly not uncommon with stacks this short to take a stab at the flop and then basically give up, if the opponent continue.

Bluff catching is another thing, which a lot of people are not comfortable with. We learn a tight and aggressive style, where we are usually in the drivers seat, and this makes us feel more comfortable. But we cant always have the initiative, so its important to learn to defend well, and bluff catching is also an area, where a lot of EV is won or lost.

So we are basically just playing poker. In this case a Q came on the turn, and lets say, he now move in for a little more than the size of the pot. Do we think, he is doing this with second pair? Probably not, so in reality the Q changed nothing. He either have a hand like top pair, which we were behind to the whole time, or he is still bluffing.

Without reads I probably fold to a turn jam, and I would likely also fold to a turn jam on a low card. Now some will jump out and say "but if you are folding on the turn, then why call the flop?" And the answer is, that by calling the flop, we are putting him to the test to risk all his chips to bluff us out of the pot, and often people just wont do that. So a turn jam is usually a stronger range with less bluffs than the flop bet, especially when he is the player at risk.

But sometimes he will actually check the turn, and then on this card I would check back. I think, its to thin to bet for value, and I basically want to try to take my pair to showdown as cheaply as possible. If he then bet the river, I am most likely calling regardless of his sizing, because now I have kind of told him, I dont have a K, and that could give him an incentive to try a last minute bluff.

Finally it is worth mentioning, that even when we are behind, we are not drawing dead on the flop. Some hands like sets, AA and AK have us is bad shape, but against hands like KQ, KJ, KT or K9, we have 5 outs. Which is not enough given the pot odds, if we were only drawing, but in this case we are also ahead of bluffs, like the one he had. So with second pair we are drawing AND bluff catching at the same time.

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I think, these are great questions, and I am happy to answer them. First off all I think, a lot of tournament players are uncomfortable playing turns and rivers, and therefore they get into this mindset of always wanting to end the hand preflop or on the flop. In this case either by folding (you) or by moving him all-in (hero). But turns and rivers are where, a lot of EV is won or lost, and these streets are not always easy for the opponent either. So first of all I think, this is something, both you and hero in this hand might want to work on.

I am so happy I posted this hand :) and this quote is the reason why. I know I am uncomfortable playing turns and rivers and usually I think that I got a bad beat if I loose on the river when the actual reason is that I did not play my hand properly. It's easy to say that "I was unlucky" rather then "I played the hand bad".
Thank you so much for your input on this hand.

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Without reads I probably fold to a turn jam, and I would likely also fold to a turn jam on a low card. Now some will jump out and say "but if you are folding on the turn, then why call the flop?" And the answer is, that by calling the flop, we are putting him to the test to risk all his chips to bluff us out of the pot, and often people just wont do that. So a turn jam is usually a stronger range with less bluffs than the flop bet, especially when he is the player at risk.

But sometimes he will actually check the turn, and then on this card I would check back. I think, its to thin to bet for value, and I basically want to try to take my pair to showdown as cheaply as possible. If he then bet the river, I am most likely calling regardless of his sizing, because now I have kind of told him, I dont have a K, and that could give him an incentive to try a last minute bluff.

In this case if I would just call the flop isn't the Villan more probably to just jam the turn since he got a draw now? I am speaking knowing his hand now. It seems that now I am more tempted to fold.