$Freeroll NLHE MTT: 2 pair - Where did this go wrong?

skrsh76

skrsh76

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em Tournament, 80/160 Blinds 20 Ante (9 handed) - Full Tilt Converter Tool from http://flopturnriver.com
CO (t8,770)
Button (t840)
Hero (SB) (t6,830)
BB (t8,315)
UTG (t9,623)
UTG+1 (t735)
MP1 (t740)
MP2 (t1,050)
MP3 (t875)
Hero's M: 16.26
Preflop: Hero is SB with
9d.gif
kh.gif

UTG calls t160, 4 folds, CO calls t160, 1 fold, Hero calls t80, BB checks
Flop: (t820)
9c.gif
qd.gif
7d.gif
(4 players)
Hero bets t160, BB calls t160, UTG raises to t320, 1 fold, Hero calls t160, BB calls t160
Turn: (t1,780)
kc.gif
(3 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG bets t160, Hero calls t160, BB calls t160
River: (t2,260)
7s.gif
(3 players)
Hero bets t480, BB raises to t960, UTG calls t960, Hero raises to t6,170 (All-In), BB raises to t7,655 (All-In), UTG calls t6,695
Total pot: t23,740
Results below:
Hero had 9
diamond.gif
, K
heart.gif
(two pair, Kings and nines).
BB had 10
diamond.gif
, 7
club.gif
(three of a kind, sevens).
UTG had Q
spade.gif
, 9
heart.gif
(two pair, Queens and nines).
Outcome: BB won t23,740

Emperor IX

Emperor IX

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It went a little wrong when you completed the sb.

It went a little more wrong when you donked out on the flop, and even MORE wrong when you called the raise.

It went super wrong when you didn't checkraise the turn.

It once again went wrong when you bet out the river, and the worst wrong when you decided to 3bet the river against a cold caller. You were basically bluffing.

No offense, but this went wrong at literally every possible point :/

skrsh76

skrsh76

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

It went a little more wrong when you donked out on the flop, and even MORE wrong when you called the raise.

It once again went wrong when you bet out the river, and the worst wrong when you decided to 3bet the river against a cold caller. You were basically bluffing.

Thanks. Very humbling :( Agree the river was all wrong. But do you think I should have folded this preflop? or re raise preflop, call flop, check raise shove in the turn?

Last edited:
Emperor IX

Emperor IX

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks. Very humbling :( Agree the river was all wrong. But do you think I should have folded this preflop? or re raise preflop, call flop, check raise shove in the turn?

You want to be folding this preflop because it doesn't play well postflop. You can flop top pair, but since you're out of position and have a bad kicker, you don't know how you should be playing it.

As played, you can peel on the flop against a single better since the pot wasn't raised. Since he was called though, you should be letting go without solid reads on the table. If you do make it to the turn in the hand, you need to be check-raising there. You'll get more money in on the turn this way (they're more likely to cbet bigger than your lead, and if they call your CR then boom, extra value), while protecting your extremely vulnerable hand.

But this is all only considering heads up play. You're against two guys here, and you need to raise that turn much larger, which, if he's still around, will turn the 7 away pretty quick.

IM deusXmachina

IM deusXmachina

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to agree with Emperor here, the only way this could have turned into your favor is if you made an aggressive play at securing your win right at the turn. Double flush draw out, anything can happen on the river of course. However if you put your opponent at a decision for a significant amount of chips at the turn I don't think they will call with the bottom pair here. Further more I have to disagree with emperor on ONE point. There is no WAY you can fold K 9 getting 7 to 1 implied odds when you completed the SB. That is the place I think you did the right thing. Pushing all in on the river with a BB check and possible trips turned into a boat on the river, or just that lowly 7-x catching its miracle 5%er on the river is ALWAYS a possibility. But you most certainly were getting your odds at the pre flop call and the flop. BE AGGRESSIVE. Remember that in poker the aggressor can often make their opponent fold the best hands, even if it is before they " catch it"
:2h4:

DevilMe03

DevilMe03

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. I think the preflop call was fine when you are getting 7 to 1 odds.
2. You can check after the flop but i wont mind raising with middle player but i would prefer a bigger bet size like a litte less than half pot. It will give you much better information. But with such board i would favour check calling a middle pair with backdraw straight chances.
3. At turn i think with your double pair i would prefer leading out with a bet of half pot. You want to extract value from people chasing flush or straight draws. If they have J-10 we have to pay for that with our two pair. In your case whem you check call you dont know if you are behind or not. By calling you have lost control of the pot.
4. I dont think your reraraising is right here. I dont understand your reasoning to call at the turn and raise here. If you thought you were behind at the turn then with 7 on the river doesnot improved your hand and change much so a check call should have been fine.

DonV73

DonV73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should not have called PF and not donk betting on the flop.
Just get out of there with that hand.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe raise here it would be the best option, something like ~320-400. Maybe then BB would make a fold, even if he would make a call I think he would fold after the flop with a third pair.

Last edited:
skrsh76

skrsh76

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks for your feedback. much appreciated

Loonbat

Loonbat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Good, honest feedback. I agree with each point.

IM deusXmachina

IM deusXmachina

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good, honest feedback. I agree with each point.
How can you honestly agree with folding when you are in for 50% of the BB already and getting 7 to 1 Implied odds?!?:rolleyes:
:2h4:

Loonbat

Loonbat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And you almost leveled me, as I was typing a "real response"