$Freeroll NLHE: JJ from LP on Q-high flop...

T

Tublecain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$Freeroll NL HE: JJ from LP on Q-high flop...

It's very early in a Round 2 Main Event Race freeroll, and I'm dealt JJ on the button. I'm ready to make a standard 3xBB raise when a MP player raises 4xBB before I do. I've already seen him play a couple of marginal hands aggressively so I don't necessarily think he's holding premium. I'm willing to try and push him out with a 3bet which, with JJ from LP against a loose player I believe is also for value. He calls. Then the flop comes with a Q high on it. I'm ready to make a c-bet, but he leads out with a $40minbet, which smells like value town to me. What's my next move... should I just fold considering it's early in the tourney and I can save my chips for a better spot? Should I have just called his raise from Preflop instead of committing more chips with JJ early in a tourney? Thanks in advance, hand is below!

Code:
[b]Hand Information[/b]
Full Tilt Poker - Get $600 Free No Limit, 20 BB (8 handed).
Hand History converter courtesy of [url=http://www.pokerhandreplays.com]pokerhandreplays.com[/url]

[b]Table Information[/b]
Seat: 1 Player 1 ($1700)
Seat: 2 Player 2 ($1470)
Seat: 3 Player 3 ($1410)
Seat: 4 Player 4 ($1370)
Seat: 5 [color=Red]Hero[/color] ($1530) Dealer
Seat: 6 Player 6 ($1480) Small Blind
Seat: 7 Player 7 ($1200) Big Blind
Seat: 9 Player 9 ($1840)
Dealt to [color=Red]Hero[/color]
[img]http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/images/poker_image/JD.png[/img] [img]http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/images/poker_image/JS.png[/img] 

[b]Preflop[/b] (Pot:30)
[i]FOLD[/i] Player 9 
[i]RAISE[/i] Player 1 $40
[i]FOLD[/i] Player 2 
[i]CALL[/i] Player 3 $40
[i]FOLD[/i] Player 4 
[i]RAISE[/i] [color=Red]Hero[/color]$120
[i]FOLD[/i] Player 6 
[i]FOLD[/i] Player 7 
[i]CALL[/i] Player 1 $80
[i]FOLD[/i] Player 3 

[b]Flop[/b](Pot: $310)
[img]http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/images/poker_image/2D.png[/img] [img]http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/images/poker_image/QH.png[/img] [img]http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/images/poker_image/9D.png[/img] 

[i]BET[/i] Player 1 $40
[i]???[/i] [color=Red]Hero[/color]

Juniorsdaddy

Juniorsdaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think the flop helped the player that much. If he hit his set, he probably would have just checked the flop. He may have paired or is on the flush draw. I would call and see what the turn brings.

I think your pre-flop play was fine. You haven't committed that many chips to this point, and JJ is a valid re-raise hand against a LAG player.

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
id guess he is either on a str8 or flush draw.

maybe put him on K 9 or something. i definately feel you needed to reraise this opponent though

R

RA2000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are 310 in the pot and he bets 40....
This is a donk bet by a LAG player. Maybe it is a probe bet, but it is not a value bet. I would raise the pot and see where i stand.... :D

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are 310 in the pot and he bets 40....
This is a donk bet by a LAG player. Maybe it is a probe bet, but it is not a value bet. I would raise the pot and see where i stand.... :D
This. I would definitely raise here and fold to a reraise

Kuberr

Kuberr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, it definitely smells of a probe. It also depends on whether you observed how he bets according to what he has on previous hands. I would re-raise here, maybe to 80 or 120. For all he knows, you could have paired your Queens.

T

Tublecain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for all the responses. I eventually called the small bet only to see a Kd fall on the river and have him throw out a big bet (which I now assumed was a value bet for his flush or possibly nut flush), and folded. Either way, I realize now that I very clearly should have re-raised his weak semi-bluff at a diamond draw to try and push him out of the hand, getting my money in possibly while I was ahead, and/or at least getting a better idea where I stood in the hand.

Live and learn I suppose!

Best, T.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
On the flop there I would re-raise close to the size of 'POT' (maybe 290 or so). Even if he calls, at least you have a better idea of where you stand and if you're considering calling a turn bet by him if a brick falls.. why not get your money in ahead and take control of the pot instead of passively calling and gaining no info. and letting him draw out for free on a hand that may have missed the flop or as mentioned, perhaps he's on a draw. If draw doesn't hit on the turn, follow up by firing out another bet.
(freerolls are difficult to assess... villain can be on such a wide range depending upon who they are). I hate the 'minbet' though.. even if perhaps it's a monster (ie. set) I still raise here to see where I am and at the same time good chance it's a value bet. You 3-bet preflop in early levels which could easily mean AA KK. I'd follow through and bet out as if this is what I was on here.

ItsMe

ItsMe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was already thinking flush draw before your summary. Often you see small bets as containing bets to try to prevent an aggressive player from betting out. IMO if you had re-raised by anything up to pot, you will certainly be called (as this often happens to me). Really the best policy in freerolls in situations like this is to keep the pot relatively small and hope for an unhelpful card for your opponent on the Turn where you should re-raise or bet big. Opponents will see 2 cards for their draw as good odds but 1 card as not really sensible.