$Freeroll NLHE: : Decision on first hand of CC freeroll

GDRileyx

GDRileyx

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
$Freeroll NL HE: : Decision on first hand of CC freeroll

Ok, it's a freeroll, but it's a CC freeroll, so I figure there is a higher level of play than the average freeroll.

First hand, first CC freeroll, I don't know anything about anybody. I'm on the button with AK offsuit. UTG raises 90, 3x the BB. One other caller, I call. That's cautious, Sklansky recommends usually to make a big reraise there.

Flop comes K92 rainbow. Both players check. I bet the pot, 315. UTG calls, the other guy folds.

The turn brinks a Qd, to go with the 2d on the board. UTG bets 360.

What should have been my action?

GDRileyx

GDRileyx

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Why not reraise preflop? You would have been able to put the squeeze on. I suppose on the button it is ok to call.

Yes, it was the button that influenced the call over reraise. I didn't want to wind up all-in preflop, and lose the advantage of the button.

Melkor

Melkor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, it was the button that influenced the call over reraise. I didn't want to wind up all-in preflop, and lose the advantage of the button.

lolz, my bad, I deleted my post because I changed my mind. This is an awkward spot. Still leaning towards shove.

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Raise preflop, raise the flop shove the turn. It is a freeroll and early in a freeroll, even CC freerolls start horribly. You will be called by all kinds of gargage Qx and such.

rodbrambilla

rodbrambilla

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freeroll - All-in Pre-Flop or Raise Pre-Flop and All-in in the Flop.

Y

Yeti

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a reraise to around 900 chips.. or else just a plain shove. The chances are you've got the best of it, and given that it's a freeroll you have infinite odds.

Your other option is to just call.. but if he's chasing a flush you won't get any action if it misses. Hence raise it up.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to bet here to get paid on your big hands.

Preflop 3-bet to 450-500, you can't bet 270 (3x90) as there is another caller and you can't bet 360 (3x90+90) as you still have the blinds behind you.

If you still get a caller then when with that flop the pot is big enough in relation to your stack to make a shove a correctly sized bet.

K

khicks26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its hard to commit your stack on the frist hand, with just top pair. people are playing all kinds of hands at the start of a tournament. i hate this spot, if you call his bet your pot stuck, and will end up all in. but you can,t lay down TPTK.

is his under bet of the pot weak, or does he want you to come over the top. can this guy play or is he a donk. you have no reads.

i guess i would shove and, hope for the best. but i would not like it.
tuff spot, i hope you won the hand.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I 3-bet pre & call a shove and am prepared to be shoved on by worse aces.

Janon

Janon

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
possible the dude hit the straight on the turn wouldnt surpise me he called with J 10. i would have reraise preflop its true its a freeroll but if you think you got the best hand gotta weed out of the fields. but a more likely hand would be K J so i would say push got nothing to lose :p

FatBasset

FatBasset

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The problem for you in this hand is you don't have a read or a history with your opponent. When I'm in your shoes I try to place my opponent on a range of hands and determine whether based on how he played the hand he could have me beat. His standard raise UTG preflop could mean anything in freeroll. He checked the flop then called your pot sized raise on the flop from the button (his call could mean he has a piece of the flop and believes your betting from position with nothing) His weak lead on the turn could be his way to find out if you really had something with your flop bet or he is trying to induce a raise by showing weakness. The hands I would be worried about are a set or KQ or Q9. I don't think he would check KQ on the flop and I don't think he would lead out with a bet on the turn with a set (normally check to check raise). Q9 is a real possiblity given that it is a freeroll and it is consistent with betting pattern. However, AQ, QJ and Q10 could have been played the same way. I think I would push all in.

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well if you playing against me I would fold cause I going to get my river flush.:D

Otherwise shove the flop.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in a freeroll get it in at any stage. In a non freeroll, checking back the flop is the best route imo

razin-n-blazin

razin-n-blazin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a freeroll format I'd be all in before his "bets 360" showed up in the dealer chat.

silverslugger33

silverslugger33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just call him. No need to put your tourney life on TPTK if you can help it.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I would for sure re-raise here preflop (put the squeeze on 'em). I'd prefer to just take it down right then and there in the first hand in a freeroll myself.
I'm thinking you're in a bit of a jam here and UTG has just called your POT bet on the flop quite possibly with KQ (what else could you put him on here?....).
I think you're in trouble and are drawing slim. Sure it's a freeroll but very often you'll even start out on a good table in a CC freeroll. Without having prior knowledge of the player(s) it is a bit of a disadvantage.

J

Jamieace

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Allin no doubt, its a freeroll. I personally wouldve pushed all in on the flop.

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only two hands he could have with a Q are kq or aq, doubt he's checking the flop w/ kq...more likely aq...hits his q on the turn and reraises all in hoping your flop bet was just the button doing it's thing. I'd love to know the answer...I hope you didn't fold the best hand. Although I doubt you folded at all. :p Hope you won it.

Ps. He could have had pocket 9's.

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok, it's a freeroll, but it's a CC freeroll, so I figure there is a higher level of play than the average freeroll.
First hand of ANY freeroll is really dangerous, and I try to avoid going all in. My guess would be that this person had J 10...

GDRileyx

GDRileyx

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
He had KQ. I called. I wound up losing another 360 on the river, but I still had chips left.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands