$Freeroll NLHE: CC FR 4/21...Whats the next move?

DogzBestFrnd

DogzBestFrnd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$Freeroll NL HE: CC FR 4/21...Whats the next move?

OK, I had just been moved to the table a few hands before. Limped one BB and folded the turn. Other than that this was the 1st hand played at this table. I dont really have any notes for most the players at the table (none for UTG+1) and havent seen but 6 hands at the table. It is only 2 mins till 1st break.

As you can see I pretty much have the hand dominated from the flop. My question here is how to get full value for the hand. Up to the point I show I think I played it correctly, it is the turn check from UTG+1 point that I think I need to look at.
(thats why I cut the hand there, if there is something before this point that you think I could have done better any input is welcome ofcourse)

--------------------
HAND #1
--------------------
Full Tilt, 50/100 blinds NL Hold'em Tourney, 9 Players
Hand History Converter by Stoxpoker
BB: 1,470 (14.7 bb)
UTG+1: 3,406 (34.1 bb)
UTG+2: 14,104 (141 bb)
MP1: 3,630 (36.3 bb)
MP2: 1,630 (16.3 bb)
MP3: 1,130 (11.3 bb)
CO: 7,960 (79.6 bb)
DogzBestFrnd (BTN): 3,005 (30.1 bb)
SB: 3,120 (31.2 bb)
Pre-Flop: DogzBestFrnd is BTN with Q T
UTG+1 calls 100, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, DogzBestFrnd raises to 300, SB calls 250, BB folds, UTG+1 calls 200
Flop: (1,000) 8 J 9 (3 players)
SB checks, UTG+1 bets 550, DogzBestFrnd raises to 1,100, SB folds, UTG+1 calls 550
Turn: (3,200) 4 (2 players)
UTG+1 checks,

Now from the pre-flop limp and call to my 3x raise, then the 550 fire and call to my raise I figure we are either even with straits or I am way ahead of 1 pair, 2 pair, or trips...Im leaning toward trips for UGT+1s hand.

So what should be the move here?

Last edited:
Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well played Dogz.
I was UTG+1 and yes I had trip 9s (though I said I had 2pr, guess I'm a liar ;))
With your 3bb raise pf I didn't put you on QTs , rather KJ,KQ or AT, AJ.
After you reraised my 550 bet I thought harder....... and thought I'd be priced in for a chance for the board to pair for a boat.
(foolish move thinking about it now being awake).
I didn't wan't to stack off against a possible made straight / drawing to the straight flush after your next move.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd really hate to check behind here and then see the board pair up. You've gotten good value for your hand so far and with the stack size and opponents stack size I think you could shove for value here. Opponent would be getting 3:1 odds to call your shove and that may be enough for someone with a set or a FD. If you think a shove would not be called then IMHO an 800 bet would be better than a check behind to give the opponent a free river card.

pifan

pifan

PiFace
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i definitely do not want to give a free card here. a raise of some sort definitely here or a complete push i would not give a free card here.

DogzBestFrnd

DogzBestFrnd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was UTG+1 and yes I had trip 9s (though I said I had 2pr, guess I'm a liar ;))<snip>I didn't wan't to stack off against a possible made straight / drawing to the straight flush after your next move.
I didnt realize that was you. I guess I missed the Karow part somehow:rolleyes:
BTW, nice post hand bluff about the 2 pair ;)

Checking the turn didnt even occur to me. What I was wondering after the hand (and the 2 pair comment from Karow) was if I had bet smaller than the 1,000 if I might have been able to induce a call.

Say a 500 bet here to show a bit of weakness and make the villian think I might be on a draw. Then as long as the river does not pair the board I might be able to get the stack from the villian?
The 500 bet would make the pot 3,700 so he would be getting about 5:1 (if my math isnt as bad as I think it is)
But then again did I want to chance him catching on the river and then pushing me all in?

So to sum up the question: Would the added value of the pot if the villian calls a smaller bet on the turn justify the risk of him catching one of his outs on the river?
Im was leaning toward no, but was hopeing to catch some #s from some of the odds caculators here. :)

Thanks for the replies all!

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely push the turn. You have a great hand and a great draw, say you hit a flush on the river but it pairs the board - what then? You put your op on a set so take it down now and be happy to get what chips you did get. Nice play btw :)

K

kcirjr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After you saw the flop i would have just called his bet... mayb the guy behind u would have called also. The worse card to come for u would be a pair on board but u have the nuts with a flush draw cant beat that. I would have made my raise on turn. On flop if you call u look like u have a flush draw or ak trying to hit it

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I push the turn for sure. I want to be charging a higher fl draw the right price to draw out on me (A-Xs poss. limp & call pre). Any sets or 2pr's I can't let them see a free card here either.
If villain is calling my min raise on the flop, I'm pretty sure they're still calling my turn shove (with worse hands obv. but poss. drawing to better).
I'm not sure I want to raise it up preflop to isolate an EP limper here? (although it seems like a decent option). I don't try to make a habit of bloating up a pot preflop on a marginal holding (ie. I miss the flop or grab a piece of it, it's going to potentially cost more to continue than may have been necessary)... not sure if I'm correctly wording what I'm trying to say here.

DogzBestFrnd

DogzBestFrnd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I push the turn for sure. I want to be charging a higher fl draw the right price to draw out on me (A-Xs poss. limp & call pre). Any sets or 2pr's I can't let them see a free card here either.
If villain is calling my min raise on the flop, I'm pretty sure they're still calling my turn shove (with worse hands obv. but poss. drawing to better).
I'm not sure I want to raise it up preflop to isolate an EP limper here? (although it seems like a decent option). I don't try to make a habit of bloating up a pot preflop on a marginal holding (ie. I miss the flop or grab a piece of it, it's going to potentially cost more to continue than may have been necessary)... not sure if I'm correctly wording what I'm trying to say here.

I think I understand. I have ran into that a few times myself. Where I have to make a continuation bet larger than what I want when I am not sure I have the best hand. And that has bit me a few times.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
What I meant was... because I've bloated up the pot preflop, it's going to cost me more to continue (ie. a c-bet on a 1200 pot is going to be alot more than a c-bet on a 400 pot... in the situation where I'm getting a piece of the flop but am really only on a marginal hand).