Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
Freeroll
Currency
$
After the turn, when villain bets, is folding too tight? Given the pot and implied pot odds, it could've been a good spot to call and see another card.

rhoudini

rhoudini

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don`t think it is too tight. You are getting 4:1 immediate pot odds, which requires at least 20% of equity to call.
If you were guaranteed to see turn and river, you would have 4 outs * 4% = 16%. But you don`t have this guarantee. If you call, you still have another person that can even raise, and the original c-bettor can even reraise, making you fold.
Also, one of your outs, the Q of diamonds, completes the flush draw too, which is quite likely in a multiway pot.
Be careful chasing gutshots. Don`t be results oriented because a non-diamond Q appeared this time.

F

fefibecerra

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don`t think it is too tight. You are getting 4:1 immediate pot odds, which requires at least 20% of equity to call.
If you were guaranteed to see turn and river, you would have 4 outs * 4% = 16%. But you don`t have this guarantee. If you call, you still have another person that can even raise, and the original c-bettor can even reraise, making you fold.
Also, one of your outs, the Q of diamonds, completes the flush draw too, which is quite likely in a multiway pot.
Be careful chasing gutshots. Don`t be results oriented because a non-diamond Q appeared this time.

Thanks, that was really helpful! I agree with your analysis, but I kept wondering if I had better implied odds that justified a call. As you said, I think I doubted my decision after I saw the cards in the turn.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I kind of want to 3-bet here to thin the field. But its sort of awkward, because you would need to go very large, and if someone call, now you are playing a massive pot out of position with AJ. Or if the original raiser 4-bet, you have to fold, unless you know something about him. So I guess, its ok to stick in a call and see a cheap flop. But I am not excited about playing AJo 4-5 ways out of position, so I could even see myself making a tight fold here.

Flop
I would not chase after just a gutshot in this multiway pot. If you hit an A or J instead, you have no idea, if its good, and you might end up losing a lot of chips.

Turn
It seems like, you are mentally playing all your hands backwards and making up your mind about the correct action depending on, which cards come later. But this is not, how poker works. If you would be ok with your fold, if the turn had been 2s, then you should also be ok with it, when turn is Qs. Poker is all about math and probabilities, and the chance of nailing a gutshot on the turn is only 8,5%.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont think I would call here too often unless I know something about the first villain and know othr villains over call with small Ax often. When I first saw the hand I actually thought fold is not bad and see it was also mentioned above as an option. I think I either fold or 3 bet but do understand the perils of a 3 bet here as Fundiver mentions above. I actually think I like fold the best if we are readless.

Postflop, I think its an easy fold as played since you have an over and gutter only in a pot that is going to get really large soon. Your ace may not be good either so you are really calling to just see a Q. Im thinking you would not even post this hand if the Q did not come up on the turn and as we all know a huge majority of the time it wont so I think the only real discussion on this hand is what to do preflop.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
just press call 1st street of the turn and then on the river, if it doesn't close, you throw it away, you can just count your outs on the turn smart by 4 on the river by 2, look at the Internet multiplication 4 and 2 then it will be easier for you to play on such streets and you will always make the right decision

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
With a straight draw, I think it isn't worth it to risk those chips, because you don't have the outs to proceed to the river.

Folding in Poker