Folding Trips - was I right?

CueMaster71

CueMaster71

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played in a Live tourney last night, a £15 freezeout with 45 entrants. After maybe 15 people were out, I'd roughly quadrupled my stack to around 8000, when the following hand happened.

I was in the BB with 4h 4d, blinds were 150/300, two limpers, small blind folded, I checked, so there's 1050 in the pot.

The flop comes out 4c 7c 9c, giving me trip fours, but with three clubs showing I was a bit worried. As first to act, I decided to bet out and try to chase away anyone with a single club. I bet 600, the next guy folded, and the guy on the button called with no hesitation. The pot is now 2250.

The turn was 2c, so now there's four clubs showing, and I'm pretty convinced that this guy's made his flush (if he hadn't already). I check, and he immediately throws in a 2000 bet, leaving himself with about 1000. I've got roughly 7000 chips left, and after thinking about it for a while, I folded. As I did, I turned my cards over (probably a mistake) to show him what I'd given up, and three or four guys on the table immediately ripped into me, telling me I should have re-raised him all-in with trips. I pointed out the obvious flush, and the guy who'd won said, "I had nothing, I bluffed you out". I congratulated him on a nice bet, and said once again that I couldn't call the bet because of the flush draw.

They continued on at me for about two or three minutes, saying I should have knocked him out by re-raising, and that as the chip leader I could have took the loss of 3000 chips, but I didn't want to (in my opinion at the time) just hand over half my stack to his flush.

As it happens, I went on to finish 4th, higher than any of the players on my table, so I felt justified in my actions, and even afterwards when I calculated my pot odds, I still believe I was right to fold.

So, was I, or would you have pushed him all in hoping he was bluffing?

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO, you could have bet more on the flop; with that many players in the hand, it's almost certain someone has a club, and will probably chase the draw.
I might even pot-bet it; players with a 9 or 7 in their hand will probably not see it as trips leading out, and may stick their chips in, plus it gives pretty poor 2:1 odds for a draw.

As for your decision to fold, I think it was fine. Holding trips with a 4-flush is a pain in the ass to fold, but sometimes it has to be done. Too likely that someone has a flush. Good laydown, and congrats on 4th place :)

p.s. what were your reads on the 'bluffer'?

CueMaster71

CueMaster71

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good laydown, and congrats on 4th place :)

p.s. what were your reads on the 'bluffer'?

Thanks, and thanks!

As for reads, none really, I'd never played there before, and I hadn't noticed him doing anything other than value bets up to that point. I didn't really have a reason to doubt his bet.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand is played standardly, check preflop, bet flop, ditch on the turn, kick the whiny turds in the nuts on the river.

Seriously, pushing the turn here is so horrible I can't begin to find words to describe its awfulness. Ignore the donks.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was a good fold and if in your place i would have done the same and congrats on 4th place.

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I strongly doubt the guy with 3000 chips was actually bluffing. He was just saying that to get you to call him down later. It would be quite a silly occasion to bluff if it was one.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He called the flop raise with 3 clubs on the board and bet out when the 4th one came. He played it just like he either had a flush he was slow playing or had a big club on a draw. If he was bluffing, it was well played and you just move on and congrats on the nice play. I don't think it was a bluff though. Did he show the cards? I never believe anyone that says what they had but don't show. I think he was just trying to tilt you or get you to call him later when he has the nuts like Bombjack said.

CueMaster71

CueMaster71

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, he didn't show the cards, and I wasn't totally convinced he was telling the truth. He was risking an awful lot if he didn't have the flush, especially as he'd seen me make a bet with three clubs showing post-flop. For all he knew, I could have been check-raising him. I think he must have had it, and as you've said, he was trying to tilt me. Which didn't work, because I was convinced I'd done the right thing. You guys have just reinforced that :)

B

bootleg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is a tough one, I personally would have bet the turn and not check b/c that gives him the chance to bluff at the pot immediately (I would have done what he did even if I didn't have anything), maybe a 1K bet to represent a flush (sometimes you have to make people think you have something different than you really do) will tell you where you are really at also because he could have just flopped top pair and called your post-flop bet... never know...

the other thing to keep in mind is that you also had 10 outs to make full house/four of a kind to beat any possible flush, so a bet wouldn't have been too bad of a risk... a check is begging for them to bet and take the pot down...

just my 2cents :D

last note... never trust what they tell you they had... it could be a tactic to put you on tilt knowing that he bluffed you out of a pot and to get more action from you later...

Last edited:
Folding in Poker