Folded Jacks preflop, bad decision or good?

T

thefwa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
here's how it went down.
Merge, $2.20 Buy-in (400/800 blinds, 80 ante) No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 9 Players
Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: 11,511 (14.4 bb)
BB: 23,447 (29.3 bb)
UTG+1: 6,487 (8.1 bb)
UTG+2: 41,836 (52.3 bb)
MP1: 11,958 (14.9 bb)
Hero (MP2): 48,885 (61.1 bb)
MP3: 16,359 (20.4 bb)
CO: 34,566 (43.2 bb)
BTN: 17,887 (22.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Jd Jh
UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls 800, MP1 raises to 4,320, Hero raises to 10,000, MP3 folds, CO raises to 34,486 and is all-in, 4 folds, MP1 calls 7,558 and is all-in, Hero folds

Flop: (36,476) 2c 5h 9s (2 players, 2 are all-in)
Turn: (36,476) 7h (2 players, 2 are all-in)
River: (36,476) Qs (2 players, 2 are all-in)

Results: 36,476 pot
Final Board: 2c 5h 9s 7h Qs
MP1 showed As Kh and won 36,476 (24,518 net)
Hero folded Jd Jh and lost (-10,080 net)
CO showed Js Ad and lost (-11,958 net)

I only folded because co was a huge nit and a 4 bet probably meant Jacks were no good.

Good fold or bad fold?
Funny enough, not calling got me busted by the guy in CO, AA vs KK... shocker :p
let me know.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You reraise then fold to a 4bet.

If thats the case, to begin with, we better fold preflop.

O

onekaydeep

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A bad fold pre is not as severe as a bad call. Instinct and experience will make this easier to do when actually against QQ+ in the future.
All that aside, this shallow in late tournament, I'm never folding jacks. I think it is more profitable to call here.

abzdolc

abzdolc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA,kk will not play like this, the only hand he are afraid- QQ , but there'are few coins like AQ AK , and few pairs TT, 99, 88, we dominated, that's why fold is not mistake, but the number of chips at POT is good to play vs AQ , AK , so I think push is better

el_magiciann

el_magiciann

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its good fold in the situation u played the hand. I would fold to this 4bet shove too. Some would say why you fold when u 3bet big, but i think its correct decision, i played myself close to this hand when i had AQ in the button and i 3bet the raiser then he 4bet shove pre and i insta folded late in MTT. I think this is the correct play! : )

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With 60bb its fine fold , this 4bet look very strong , better fold and save your 50bb , its still very playabble stack...

P

polda

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
standard fold imo... smaller 3bet pre would get you the same information

S

sujeesh811

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it was a good decision to fold ,there were 2 players all-in and you are not getting good pot odds to call.

suvorov17

suvorov17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its fine fold. use a poker calculator. Our opponents in MP1 and in CO -5% in spectre (premium hands).HERO win 33% . HERO win3/10 at the distance.

tracyrickrobby

tracyrickrobby

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tough one there!! i think the cut-off shoving was just a steal! i would have called!! just me tho!! with one raise and a shover, i would have put them both AK or AQ making my JJ pretty good!

tracyrickrobby

tracyrickrobby

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tough one there!! i think the cut-off shoving was just a steal! i would have called!! just me tho!! with one raise and a shover, i would have put them both AK or AQ making my JJ pretty good!

attached are the JJ up against AK and AQ, and JJ AK and AJ! in both scenarios the Jacks are way ahead! and i had the right read, that the cut-off was trying to steal!!

Attachments

• foldingjacks1.jpg
    foldingjacks1.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 42
  • foldingjacks2.jpg
    foldingjacks2.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
SloPowers

SloPowers

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's always a 'bad' fold when you would have won! IMO with Jacks it's all or nothing and let the cards fly! You have to know that any call is likely to be a race. Agree that if you are planning to fold to a 4-bet you may as well fold pre-flop.

alittlepoker

alittlepoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im folding my Js in this hand there to much going on to think my pair of js will hold

motorcity1957

motorcity1957

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i must assume it is a new table that i have no info at all on the other players, you had to decide before you made the re-raise, if you raise to 10,000 then you have to call the allin, if not gonna call a shove you fold to the 4320 bet, at least thats how i hope i would play it.

tracyrickrobby

tracyrickrobby

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i must assume it is a new table that i have no info at all on the other players, you had to decide before you made the re-raise, if you raise to 10,000 then you have to call the allin, if not gonna call a shove you fold to the 4320 bet, at least thats how i hope i would play it.

that was my thinking also! you already put 10k in the pot with raise, if you weren't ready to go all the way, you should have folded right from the get go!!!

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This spot is tricky and showing the results takes away from positive feedback. I'm leaning towards shoving over the initial raise to isolate the shortstack.

suvorov17

suvorov17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
attached are the JJ up against AK and AQ, and JJ AK and AJ! in both scenarios the Jacks are way ahead! and i had the right read, that the cut-off was trying to steal!!

You cant know in advance of opponents cards , if you are not a psychic with a crystal ball in their hands:D Entered into the calculator spectre

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
as always want more information how has this person played do you have any knowledge of that except this hand. Now if had seen was playing all time and pretty much a moron I call maybe 3-10 times depending are they catching cards lately.

Otherwise fold cause each position you go up drastically money wise in tourneys so my whole thing is to avoid any coin flips till is down to 3-4 people at final tables if am reading right you are chip leader.

I would be patient sucks the aa to kk but that happens.

I dont mind even being fourth with four left dont mind being 10th with 10 on final. I wait for quality hands try to steal a hand like this with the JJ but I would have layed it down honestly with those stacks cause feel if tighten up game have real shot at first and generally will out play those last few and get enough luck to win.

Now the aa kk nothing to do I HATE that it happens to me a lot no advice lol just move on to the next one!!

One other note and again is history of player you got to read betting patterns during a tourney and take notes. That is when you are able to decipher at times NOT all the time but at times when they actually do miss cause of exactly the amounts they bet in those situations. Most people do not mix it up well. He thought his ak was good so he or she probably went into their standard betting pattern.

I would have folded to the four bet all in though but say same situation the flop comes? I know the player you raise bet cause of that board they all in? I am calling they might have hit set but you are maybe safe and again have to see what they bet earlier how they bet etc.. I go with instincts four times tourneys last night made right call in my last four and idiots which had them marked for idiot play seriously caught the right cards generally runner runner garbage hands like 10 -3 offsuit to qq lmao with flop under a queen and they had no matches for river flushes or str8s happened yes in a 5.00 buy in even.

Nothing can do but keep good notes for future you should come out ahead in the long run just get back on the horse

Last edited:
A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wp sir! I would lay it down too (you are not pot commited), you have pretty decent stack left behind and have plenty time to find some better pots to get chips in.

As said before never shove the result, that can rune the discussion!

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
think it's ok but with MP1 stack size, we can also just call it preflop. This depends how many players are likely to flat behind, but it's a large bet so normal play is to 3bet here.

If the CO is a nit then i can't see a call here, but it is a $2 game on a weak site, so i don't think calling would be horrendoesly bad here or anything.

Folding in Poker