joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
first hand, everyone has even stack.

i'm on the button with 89s.

utg limps to MP who raises from 20 to 123. 1 caller, i call, utg folds.

flop is 6s 10s Qc.

MP bets pot, mp+1 folds.

i .... ?

cbt711

cbt711

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lay down the gut shot straight flush draw? Maybe since it's a tournement, and it's about life, and weight and not about odds over the long haul like a cash game, but even agains A Q, or an over pair, which is about as bad as you can assume you're against... you have 9 spade outs, 4 straight outs, and 3+3/2 out of the remaining cars for two pair outs... which puts you at about 52% against a pair, 51% against two pair and about 45% against a set... But I dont know how aggressive you are - so you re raise or fold... anything but call here.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
double gutshot. 7 & jack will do it for me. rather, OESD + flush draw, one being the straight flush draw,

cbt711

cbt711

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so you're a favorite - but you're commiting your stack witha re-raise, on the first hand... So now your options are fold or All In over the top. Assuming this isnt a deep stack tourny. 1000 chips starting.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you are right to assume. and as far as what i did - i pushed over the top, all in. (you are right, i am aggressive)

cbt711

cbt711

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
off the top of my head, I would put you around 60% favorite at this point to top pair, over pair... even two pair is only 8-10% less with the boat outs he would have... so he folded considering the early hand and tourny buy in to your re raise... or he's a donk, and drew out since it's full tilt. Either way, I like your play here

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I push here just about every time. Certainly don't think you can fold... if you're gonna fold here, there's no point playing suited connectors in these spots to begin with. It's a good-sized pot and you have some fold equity. If he calls, you're a 55/45 fave over AQ, KK, or AA (unless one of his cards is a spade, in which case it's closer to even). Accumulating chips early in a tournament is of course really important. It'll lead to opportunities to accumulate more. If he calls and you lose, you didn't waste 4 hours to bubble or merely win back your buy-in or whatever, that's fine.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
he called, flipped over A-10 and it held. how cute. didnt see it coming, especially from a $75 buy-in tourney.

cbt711

cbt711

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in the words of empire.. so sick. Can't be blamed there.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Woww, called with AT, and played the whole hand like a retard. In that case you had tons of fold equity. Stupid, shame he wasn't punished for it.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why get so involved with crap and no reads in the first hand of a donkament?

Fold preflop, fold flop. His call isn't necessarily that bad as shoving screams "I HAVE A DRAW LOL".

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
His call isn't necessarily that bad as shoving screams "I HAVE A DRAW LOL".

From joosebuck's description, villain bet about 360 into a pot of 360, and joosebuck has ~1380 chips left. How much is a made hand supposed to raise here if they wanted to drive out a draw? Raise to 900 and leave yourself with 480? An all-in is not even close to an overbet in this situation, so I don't see how it's indicative of a draw. AQ does the same thing.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oh, is it 1500 starting chips. point taken.

fold preflop anyway though.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold. with position. a suited connecter. and then again. with position. an effective OESD + Flush draw. K.

zebranky

zebranky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold. with position. a suited connecter. and then again. with position. an effective OESD + Flush draw. K.

Yup, that sounds right. At least early in MTT/ MTSNGs, I won't play suited connectors unless they're JT or better. There's just too many wild players for me to bother playing anything but the monster hands. Nothing worse than having a T9 straight busted by a 27 FH (and it's happened to me twice)

As for after the flop - I don't think I could fold your hand, but I'd still be tempted to cold call. I couldn't drop the draws you have for the price he's giving, but I just don't like the risk of an all-in early in a multi-table event. some numbnuts with a pair and a kicker is too likely to call when he shouldn't and hold up!

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

duudde i <3 you but wtf

You want to play suited connectors cheaply in unraised, multi-way pots. This is not a cheap, or unraised pot, and is not guaranteed to be multi-way. It's a trivially easy preflop fold.

Shove the flop though and make the best out of a bad situation though, yeah.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like 56-89 way better than 10j man.
also, i can see the argument for a fold preflop now.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands