Final table, on the bubble - reraise with 5-5.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Given that we're on the bubble, how likely is he to be stealing and can I use my big stack as the bully like this, or is it too risky? I'm hoping he'll (incorrectly) lay down a hand like KQ. It's a kind of a semibluff. Perhaps he'll even lay down 6-6?

poker stars
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t400/t800
(Ante: t50)
8 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t1840
UTG+1: t4540
MP1: t11255
MP2: t7865
Hero: t16545
Button: t16855
SB: t4000
BB: t4600

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is CO with 5♠ 5♣
2 folds, MP1 raises to t2400, MP2 folds, Hero raises to t7200

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well the risk here is if he pushes you have to fold instead of seeing the flop. A lot would depend on reads and your table image.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I'd say this would depend on reads, but the only case that I'm making this reraise is if MP2 is a known blind-stealer and has been doing it alot lately; either that or if I was sitting on around 10BBs as a shorstack. Even then, I'd probably lean towards folding and waiting for AT+ or 99+ to make a play on him.

They say to get aggressive around the bubble, but I think it's smarter to get aggressive in the sense of playing many small pots rather than big ones.

I would have no qualms about raising as the first into a pot on the bubble, but reraising is too much for me with a hand as vulnerable as 55.

I'm surprised to see a NL HH from you, Fredrik :)

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First tournament I've played in 6 months. Went on to win it, too.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$5, 45 people SnG on Stars

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unless the player is kinda tight and doesn't raise pre-flop often, I like this play a lot. The SB and BB are both shortish stacks, but not so short that they'll be obliged to go with anything less than a solid hand--they have a whole orbit to find better opportunities-- so it's clear that MP, being among the bigger stacks at the table, could make a raise here with a number of speculative hands to bully them. The last thing he'll usually want is one of the only 2 bigger stacks at the table to re-raise him. Even if he elects to call, unless he hits the flop hard, he's going to be very weary of your re-raise and you'll be able to take it down on the flop the majority of the time.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold or just shove. I don't really know why you're raising to 7200 when pot odds are forcing you to call if Button or MP1 shove over the top of you. Obviously just calling the 2400 is out of the question.

On the bubble, with UTG so short I like the idea a lot though. Villain has a comfortable stack and will not place it at risk without a big hand here (unless he is stupid). You definitely get a large range of better hands/hands we're flipping with folding.

Last edited:
F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pushing didn't seem appealing to me for two reasons:

1. In my head at the time, it made sense to not put him all-in because if he called I had position on him and could use it to my advantage after the flop. But since we'll both be pot committed, that's kinda dumb, really. Not to mention the fact that if he has a monster, he'll shove when the action gets back to him, and if he doesn't, he'll fold.

2. Also, a large re-raise looks more powerful - at least to me - than a shove. I don't want to invite him to race with me, I want him to fold, so projecting monster is sort of important. Perhaps I'm overoptimistic about my chances of him folding, or maybe no one but me thinks "AA" when someone comes over the top but "steal" when someone shoves.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Seems to me agressive plays get payed off much more often than not on the bubble & if you have read MP1 wrong & he pushes back you are not crippled.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So - any juicy ending for the results-oriented, Fredrik?

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont think position matters in a spot like that. youll see a stop and go a lot, and with at least 2 overs it's going to be a bitch to call. i say push here, make him make the decision for his tourney life.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villain called, and - as joose said - pushed the flop. Unfortunately for him, one of the three cards was a 5, so a call wasn't difficult at all, and my hand was held up.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol at villain trying the stop 'n go with 1/5 pot in front.