Exactly what you want when holding KK

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
full tilt poker Game #2837211236: $5 + $0.50 Sit & Go (21643363), Table 1 - 20/40 - No Limit Hold'em - 1:15:05 ET - 2007/07/03
Seat 1: zebra_0007 (1,215)
Seat 2: furioustyles (1,665)
Seat 3: Effexor (1,830)
Seat 4: bsm10 (1,370)
Seat 5: SALMEXUSA (1,530)
Seat 6: Sin_sere321 (1,125)
Seat 8: PugliaDoc (3,015)
Seat 9: steadyfredy (1,750)
zebra_0007 posts the small blind of 20
furioustyles posts the big blind of 40
The button is in seat #9
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Effexor [Kc Kh]
Effexor raises to 120
bsm10 calls 120
SALMEXUSA calls 120
Sin_sere321 calls 120
PugliaDoc has 15 seconds left to act
PugliaDoc calls 120
steadyfredy calls 120
zebra_0007 calls 100
furioustyles calls 80

I'm having a heck of a time playing these donk-n-goes.

My forehead has a permanent imprint of my space bar after this past week.

The winner of the hand? The guy that called with 86offsuit.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol wow. move up to where they respect your raises ;)

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol Effexor. No offense buddy, I'm laughing but I really understand how frustrating that is, having been in the same situation way too many times on FTP because mostly there I play the same stakes you're playing. Worst part is that this has nothing to do with real poker, so besides losing money you don't get to learn anything.

I've really noticed how this happens very often on FTP, much more than you see on stars, to the point that it has disgusted me so much that I'm trying to take most of my BR away from FTP to send it to stars, although I'm a winning player at FTP. To those who think this happens only when the blinds are low, you're wrong. It happens just about ALL THE TIME on FTP, even when blinds are, say, 100/200. You raise 3BB's with a good hand and the standard is that an avg of 3 players flat call your raise with all sorts of marginal and speculative hands (ex. Q8, J9, T9 etc), turning it into a crapshoot. Many times you can see it happening, as soon as you raise if the player on your left calls, that's it, you know its coming, its at least a 4-way pot and your AK or QQ is now very vulnerable. Once I had QQ and in a 5-way pot I lost to player on my left who had 53s that made a FH, lol, and to think I was happy when the flop had two 3's.

I'm sure there are strategies that you can use against these donks, I remember Sklansky's section on very loose games where he suggests to don't raise but just limp on these tables in order to beat them. But that applies mostly to cash games, I'm not sure it can work in tourney situations because you have a limited stack and that strategy is very card dependant, you need to have the goods to win and if you take an early hit, ex your 2 pair loses to a better 2 pair, its very hard to come back. Most importantly, as I pointed out in the beginning, this has nothing to do with real tournament poker strategy, and it takes a lot of stomach to play it, w/o really learning anything (besides your BR taking a hit).

Effexor, all I can tell you man is try to play very few of these, if not you'll end up really having to take effexor XR because it'll drive you insane (and sleepless at night).

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, no respect there at all. Maybe you should have raised to 125 instead to chase some of them out. :)

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
for sure, that woulda done it

rob5775

rob5775

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmmm... 7 callers? If a A comes on the flop, go all-in.

Seriously, though, 7 callers? By the time it gets to the BB, he'd be nuts not to call with ATC given those odds.

EDIT: Hell, the cutoff would be nuts not to call...

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seriously though, I don't think I've ever seen an entire table of 6 or more people call an UTG raise before, even at $5 stakes (although I never played much there). Pretty ridiculous

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's what you DON'T want. You're odds of winning with all those players in the pot are very low. If an Ace, three of same suit or a pair doesn't come on the flop, push all in.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seriously though, I don't think I've ever seen an entire table of 6 or more people call an UTG raise before, even at $5 stakes (although I never played much there). Pretty ridiculous

Yeah, if you've never played much at those stakes let me give you some savvy advice: DON'T DO IT.

Lol, seriously this is a little extreme with 7 callers (8-way pot), but trust me 4-way pots are very common even when you raise UTG on FTP at these stakes, and even when the blinds get bigger. I don't know what strategy you can use against this, if there even is an effective one. Maybe you should raise like 7/8 BB's. I really don't know, but it is dam frustrating and I sure understand Effexor posting this, especially when you have to see 86o win this pot.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's what you DON'T want. You're odds of winning with all those players in the pot are very low. If an Ace, three of same suit or a pair doesn't come on the flop, push all in.

He was being sarcastic, Tim ;)

How did the rest of the hand turn out, effexor?

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I was being sarcastic, thought it was kinda obvious ;P

I'm not proud of the results, I made a huge donkey play. Frankly I was so frustrated at the entire table calling me I Tilted and pushed all in on a flop that was something like 8,8,3 after the blinds both checked to me.

One guy after me called with some total garbage hand.

Late position player, (who clearly had the odds to play atc) called with 86off suit and held on to win the hand.

M

Myar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had to have a pair stand up to 6 others the other day. Playing late and I had reraised a raise, next thing I knew its was all ins. After the hand my raises got a bit more respect. :)

It is a ride at times.

arkadiy

arkadiy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Should've raised 250 AT LEAST preflop. That'll take it down to 2 or 3 calls and if you just win the blinds, well hey it's better than losing your whole stack to the guy who lucks out.