Endgame $33 MTT AQ preflop with raise ahead

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
18 left in $33 MTT of190.

Villain has played 5 hands at the table and made one similar raise which didn't reach the river.

Average stack is 31k.

***** Hand History for Game 6479802966 *****
NL Texas Hold'em Trny:36508678 Level:11 Blinds-Antes(1,000/2,000 -75) - Tuesday, November 06, 16:50:51 ET 2007
Table Regular (1208960) Table #2 (real money)
Seat 4 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 1: Irexes ( 67,440 )
Seat 4: patty2610 ( 39,445 )
Seat 5: PetjeXL ( 64,745 )
Seat 6: Rob13444 ( 10,435 )
Seat 2: kiscsenya ( 14,065 )
Seat 7: ralle234 ( 14,621 )
Seat 10: gork92 ( 15,390 )
Seat 3: patchi0 ( 16,205 )
Seat 9: PRUAC_ ( 84,055 )
Trny:36508678 Level:11
Blinds-Antes(1,000/2,000 -75)
Irexes posts ante [75]
kiscsenya posts ante [75]
patchi0 posts ante [75]
patty2610 posts ante [75]
PetjeXL posts ante [75]
Rob13444 posts ante [75]
ralle234 posts ante [75]
PRUAC_ posts ante [75]
gork92 posts ante [75]
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Irexes [ Qd Ac ]
ralle234 folds
PRUAC_ raises [5,000]
gork92 folds
Irexes folds

Lats

Lats

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise it to 15k, fold to a shove preflop. You got position, you have to take advantage of this hand.Cbet harmless flop, check behind K 10 x or KJx flop.
He uses big chip stack as his advantage on the table and its Final Table bubble everyone wants to be there.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Part of me likes it on the basis that we really don't want to go after the only guy at the table who can bust us and villain has raised in early position into a fellow big stack's small blind (fu party for screwing with the seating in the HH :().

Part of me is thinking "wtf Rex, you're such a nit".

I'm slightly more inclined to listen to the former. We're in a nice position as things stand - lost of shorties to our left and the big wall of chips two to our right, so I don't really mind folding this and moving on. Obviously if he's raising from a few positions later we repop to ~15k as a standard, though.

"Villain has played 5 hands at the table" doesn't really mean much btw sir, seeing as the table could have been formed 5 minutes ago or could have not been broken from the start. :p

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
readless utg+1's range = beating AQ IMO

Also with a maniac to act (forgot that part rex ;)) makes this a pretty standard fold for me.

I much prefer sticking to small pots as 1st in than getting involved in a potentially very big (and disastrous) pot where we could easily be dominated.

Agree that if this is in later position it's definitely a repop though.

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Villain has played 5 hands at the table" doesn't really mean much btw sir, seeing as the table could have been formed 5 minutes ago or could have not been broken from the start. :p

Sorry, meant to say has been sitting for 5 hands at table :)

And Chuck's right a bunch of nuts waiting to act behind.

Chiefer

Chiefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what i would do, and this has been a huge problem for me, is cold call. see the flop. if i hit check raise, if i don't, dump it. i know this is not the right play but it's a lot less dangerous than raising almost a quarter of my chipstack.

jaketrevvor

jaketrevvor

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I get so timid against the big stack and I sure as hell don't want to get into a raising battle with him PF with AQo, so I'd probs just call, see a flop, bet out 7k on a non-threatening one or if I hit - you have enough chips that he will be a bit scared of you too :cool:

P

phatjose

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I count 5 at that table that have a M<10 (I'm too tired to figure out the messed up order of that table but it looks like 2 are still waiting to act). That means they are in shove or fold mode. I think we are at best tied with, and probably behind villains range here, and if one of those short stacks wakes up to a hand, then we could possibly be behind them as well. Knowing there is a maniac behind us makes this even less desirable to play, pretty easy fold.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds like you were watching this one, Chuck.

I do wish you would post more hands for discussion, Rex. I always learn something from them. :)

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd be happy to let this one go. You've probably got him beat, but the situation is all wrong.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Solid fold considering the circumstances already outlined by other posters (EP raise from big stack, 3 shorties behind in push/fold mode, etc). It might look nitty but AQ often = trouble and it's just not necessary to get involved. Folds like this are the ones that can make the difference between a top 3 spot or finishing 13th.

Rex how would you play this if table were 6-handed (12/13 players left), stacks are the same, raise is from UTG+1 (who has been there for 5 hands), you're CO or button, and 2 shorties in the blinds? Everything pretty much the same but 3 less players on the table. Fold? Call? Repop? Just curious to know if you'd change anything :) .

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rex how would you play this if table were 6-handed (12/13 players left), stacks are the same, raise is from UTG+1 (who has been there for 5 hands), you're CO or button, and 2 shorties in the blinds? Everything pretty much the same but 3 less players on the table. Fold? Call? Repop? Just curious to know if you'd change anything :) .

I'd be inclined to call in this circumstance. If you are going to repop then presumably you are going to fold to if he comes back over the top (anything else is suicide in the long run).

If he calls a reraise then you have successfully built a pot that you are obliged to c-bet (and this is going to be a significant chunk of change) and if it comes Axx or Qxx you are potentially fried when faced with AA, KK and AK.

Worse there are not many flops that he hits that you hit better.

AJ and KQ aren't likely to call a reraise (assuming you 3-bet) and so if you are going to reraise you are doing so more to induce the fold than the call which means you may as well have any two cards. In fact any two may be better than AQ for a reraise!

Essentially I don't like getting involved where I could get stacked and my opponent is unlikely to and AQ is a swine for that.

I don't mind a call in better position or with a read (and with a read I'll be much more likely to reraise, in fact I went out of this tourney reraising all in with AJ in the SB to a CO+1 raise, he called with KQ and hit). In fact a call isn't horrible as the hand is here and there's plenty of opportunity for post-flop shenanigans that could result in a nice pot.

But with these stacks, with no read, with fools with shortstacks behind I'll give a miss and wait for favourable context :)

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Next time try printing out all the actions, cut them into strips, put them in a bag, shake and pick them one at a time and create a fresh HH.

To me it is nearly unintelligible.

However, if you were mp after an EP raise, with AQs, I call. Nothing fancy. 1 bet in 5 hands is not much of a read. Your hand is so playable that it's worth seeing a flop.

V

viking999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the other hand. playing very aggressively 6-handed is going to encourage other players to play very tight and give you more opportunities to win blinds and antes. Many times when I've been reraising a lot short-handed (whether with legit hands or not), players tend to not raise into me, and I often get a walk in the BB, which is crucial when the blinds are big and coming around frequently. Not that this really has anything to do with AQ, but it's a case for reraising in general.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Next time try printing out all the actions, cut them into strips, put them in a bag, shake and pick them one at a time and create a fresh HH.

To me it is nearly unintelligible.

However, if you were mp after an EP raise, with AQs, I call. Nothing fancy. 1 bet in 5 hands is not much of a read. Your hand is so playable that it's worth seeing a flop.

Calling is pretty terrible. Also, why go with strips when you could just ask the donkey 8-ball?

PokerProBetZip

PokerProBetZip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with Chuck.. Play it safe and fold..

Top 10 Games