Early in SnG... me don't like

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay, I don't have the hand history but basically villain and I both have about 1500 and blinds are 15/30. It's folded to me with KJs on the button, so I raise to 90. BB calls. Flops comes J64 with 2 diamonds (I don't have diamonds). BB checks and I bet 120. BB raises to 360. I call. Turn comes a 2 of clubs and BB leads out for 550 (half my remaining stack). What do I dooo?

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wait

Okay, I don't have the hand history but basically villain and I both have about 1500 and blinds are 15/30. It's folded to me with KJs on the button, so I raise to 90. BB calls. Flops comes J64 with 2 diamonds (I don't have diamonds). BB checks and I bet 120. BB raises to 360. I call. Turn comes a 2 of clubs and BB leads out for 550 (half my remaining stack). What do I dooo?

I would fold and wait for better spot, really its early and you have no idea how this guy plays so I put him on something like J4 or J6 and was defending his blind. These bets really really look like he hit 2 pair and is trying to protect it.

the only other play you have is to push all in, you cant call here because regardless of the river you are going to be all in because if you call half your stack is in already.

I think on flop though u should of repoped him for half his stack, only hands you can be worried about is something like J4 or J6 and even if he has those and calls off his stack you got outs.

Last edited:
arkeymedus

arkeymedus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
after seeing flop and pairing jacks with a kick kicker i would move allin unless he has 2 diamonds or a j he would prob fold...probably.
Early in tourney he's not likely to call only if he was lucky and flopped a set but then if he had PP surely he would make a small raise(depending on pair strenght)preflop

D

Dingodaddy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i check this flop a lot, both for pot control / inducing bluffs. as played, looks like a fold if u have no read on villian. what buy-in is the sng? low limit donks would do this with J10 i guess. this is one of those annoying spots you get in low buyin sng's. i guess it comes down to shove if you think you have the best hand fold if you dont. i mean you must have thought u had the best hand on the flop when you called the raise and the turn doesnt change anything, so shove?

oh yeah, sorry to tell you, but the Florida Gators have about a snowballs chance in hell of beating the Buckyes. LOL

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
BB called your 3x raise preflop & your 1/2 pot post flop bet was check raised. Have to question calling here. Fold if you believe him or reraise. As you say no way to know what he is holding so if you think you are still top dog play who's the donk wih him & shove allin or fold & get him later. You are not crippled yet.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$20 buy-in for those who were wondering. And yeah, no reads. Any more opinions?

brown110

brown110

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know how you can make a call in this situation...you don't have a read and he may have been protecting his blind with a marginal hand that hit big. This said, I wouldn't be surprised to see you fold and the villan to show a bluff or a flush draw... Even with this I just can't see a call.

And by the way dingo... final score 28-24 gators take home the national championship. You heard it here first.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally don't get involved with KJ in the first place. I don't want to get involved with anything that will give me tough decisions (like yours) in the early stages when I don't yet have reads on people. Marginal hands lead to marginal situations...

As played, I would normally say it's read-dependant, but since this is an unknown player to you, I'm leaning towards just dumping it. He could be a monkey with JT or he could be playing a set...I really have no idea.

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
really

I personally don't get involved with KJ in the first place. I don't want to get involved with anything that will give me tough decisions (like yours) in the early stages when I don't yet have reads on people. Marginal hands lead to marginal situations...

As played, I would normally say it's read-dependant, but since this is an unknown player to you, I'm leaning towards just dumping it. He could be a monkey with JT or he could be playing a set...I really have no idea.

it got folded to the you on the button not going to raise with KJ?

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it got folded to the you on the button not going to raise with KJ?

No, sir! I play very very tight in the early stages. Makes pot- and blind-stealing much easier in the latter stages.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I'm down with dumping this hand too in the early stages, totally understandable. Hands like these when it's folded to me in good position, I generally decide whether or not to play kind of on a whim (at least until I have reads on the SB and BB)... randomizes it I guess. There are times I would fold KJ here. But I don't think opening with KJs on button is a bad play by any means.

So yeah, I figured it was completely likely he could have JT or QJ orr was possible he checkraised with a good draw, like diamond draw with overcards and then made the big bet on the turn as a semibluff. The bet on the turn almost seemed too big to be a set, even with the diamonds out there... I mean, he could have bet much less and still denied me odds if I even have a diamond draw. I was really most worried about AJ, tbh.

Results: I decide I don't believe I'm beat based on bets and I poosh, he calls and shows, ta da, AJ, I go bye bye quick. Kinda unlucky considering he was the BB. But certainly could have avoided the situation in the first place, and could have folded... I thought both were pretty borderline decisions, but I'm thinking maybe I ought to fold if the same situation occurs in the future, because I know I could have folded, had like 1000 chips and still done some damage in better situations

ty for replies :)

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hey

Yeah, I'm down with dumping this hand too in the early stages, totally understandable. Hands like these when it's folded to me in good position, I generally decide whether or not to play kind of on a whim (at least until I have reads on the SB and BB)... randomizes it I guess. There are times I would fold KJ here. But I don't think opening with KJs on button is a bad play by any means.

So yeah, I figured it was completely likely he could have JT or QJ orr was possible he checkraised with a good draw, like diamond draw with overcards and then made the big bet on the turn as a semibluff. The bet on the turn almost seemed too big to be a set, even with the diamonds out there... I mean, he could have bet much less and still denied me odds if I even have a diamond draw. I was really most worried about AJ, tbh.

Results: I decide I don't believe I'm beat based on bets and I poosh, he calls and shows, ta da, AJ, I go bye bye quick. Kinda unlucky considering he was the BB. But certainly could have avoided the situation in the first place, and could have folded... I thought both were pretty borderline decisions, but I'm thinking maybe I ought to fold if the same situation occurs in the future, because I know I could have folded, had like 1000 chips and still done some damage in better situations

ty for replies :)

just to clear it up I will raise on the button with KJ about 96% of the time if its folded to me. As for the hand I don't think your all in was terrible, I think you are being way too result orientated here. I actually think you are ahead here on flop more then behind and I actually think his cold calling preflop in the big blind was very weak play with AJ. AJ is not the kinda hand I really want to see a flop with and If I feel someone is stealing it is the kinda hand I will re-raise with.