The Dream: AA in BB

burntrider

burntrider

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stage #1461952271 Tourney ID 4074482 Holdem Multi Table Point Tournament No Limit $100 - 2009-02-11 19:03:42 (ET)
Table: 9 (real money) Seat #8 is the dealer
Seat 1 - YOURFATNESS ($3790 in chips)
Seat 2 - AJBROWN092 ($11512.50 in chips)
Seat 3 - POKEHER4LUCK ($1335 in chips)
Seat 4 - CLINTR ($2455 in chips)
Seat 5 - SADDESTSTEVE ($2230 in chips)
Seat 6 - CEASER5 ($820 in chips)
Seat 7 - CIGGYPOP ($6972.50 in chips)
Seat 8 - MARILYNKAY ($1210 in chips)
Seat 9 - BILLYBETZ01 ($2215 in chips)
BILLYBETZ01 - Posts small blind $50
YOURFATNESS - Posts big blind $100
*** POCKET CARDS ***
Dealt to YOURFATNESS [Ah Ac]
AJBROWN092 - Folds
POKEHER4LUCK - Folds
CLINTR - Calls $100
SADDESTSTEVE - Folds
CEASER5 - Folds
CIGGYPOP - Calls $100
MARILYNKAY - Folds
BILLYBETZ01 - Folds
YOURFATNESS - Raises $350 to $450
CLINTR - Folds
CIGGYPOP - Calls $350
*** FLOP *** [5c 5d 8d]
YOURFATNESS - Checks
CIGGYPOP - Bets $400
YOURFATNESS - Calls $400
*** TURN *** [5c 5d 8d] [9h]
YOURFATNESS - Checks
CIGGYPOP - Bets $600

What would you do?

eagle jim

eagle jim

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am raising the flop bet to 900-1100, then leading out on the turn. As played I guess you call, then check call the river. He is betting 600 into a 1900 pot...not showing a ton of strength. Any reads on villan. Really don't like the call on the flop though.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I bet 3/4 pot here, villian may just be weak betting a draw which is common when villians betting pattern doesn't make sense.
Betting 3/4 pot is barely giving him odds to call if he is drawing to the flush which is what you want here.
You want to give villian a chance to make a mistake by calling a bet which he wouldn't normally call, but giving him just enough odds to call will be the correct play here.

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is it me, or is 67s out of the question here? Does his betting not look like someone who really wants to get rebumped? I mean ppl limp in with SC'ers no? So why would it not be any different to lead out on a flop like this per-say?

As played though, I really don't like your calling on the flop because that does'nt really help you to figure out where the other player stands, nor does it help you to maximize your value, and he could really try to rep a way better hand then your-self say if the river were to fall a scary card, or if he were to push on river, then what can you really do?

Benjammn

Benjammn

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA in BB isn't my dream, but AA in CO or Button sure is. :p
But about the hand, you should have bet the flop. Not a dream flop, so you only want him to stay if you are sure you have the best hand. By checking, you probably revealed to him that your hand was a little weak (which he was right), so his range is pretty far if he is aggressive at all. In this situation, you might as well cut your losses and either call or fold. You might have the best hand, but you revealed too much to him and now he could have anything.

EDIT: To add, just remember this: If you bet like you have AA when you have AA, you might win smaller pots, but at least you won. ;)

Last edited:
kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was in the same spot, won the hand :D, at best i would say an under pair....

EDIT: I did the same thing. ;)

burntrider

burntrider

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea I'm embarrassed with how bad I played his hand. But w/o a re-raise by villian pre-flop, I was drawing dead immediately on the flop. What a way to bust from the tournament. The buy-in was so low it was practically a freeroll. It was a 25 Ulimate Point Turbo satellite on UB into a $1 tourney w/ $5k gauranteed. Blinds escalated every 2 minutes.

Stage #1461952271 Tourney ID 4074482 Holdem Multi Table Point Tournament No Limit $100 - 2009-02-11 19:03:42 (ET)
Table: 9 (Real Money) Seat #8 is the dealer
Seat 1 - YOURFATNESS ($3790 in chips)
Seat 2 - AJBROWN092 ($11512.50 in chips)
Seat 3 - POKEHER4LUCK ($1335 in chips)
Seat 4 - CLINTR ($2455 in chips)
Seat 5 - SADDESTSTEVE ($2230 in chips)
Seat 6 - CEASER5 ($820 in chips)
Seat 7 - CIGGYPOP ($6972.50 in chips)
Seat 8 - MARILYNKAY ($1210 in chips)
Seat 9 - BILLYBETZ01 ($2215 in chips)
BILLYBETZ01 - Posts small blind $50
YOURFATNESS - Posts big blind $100
*** POCKET CARDS ***
Dealt to YOURFATNESS [Ah Ac]
AJBROWN092 - Folds
POKEHER4LUCK - Folds
CLINTR - Calls $100
SADDESTSTEVE - Folds
CEASER5 - Folds
CIGGYPOP - Calls $100
MARILYNKAY - Folds
BILLYBETZ01 - Folds
YOURFATNESS - Raises $350 to $450
CLINTR - Folds
CIGGYPOP - Calls $350
*** FLOP *** [5c 5d 8d]
YOURFATNESS - Checks
CIGGYPOP - Bets $400
YOURFATNESS - Calls $400
*** TURN *** [5c 5d 8d] [9h]
YOURFATNESS - Checks
CIGGYPOP - Bets $600
YOURFATNESS - All-In(Raise) $2940 to $2940
CIGGYPOP - Calls $2340
*** RIVER *** [5c 5d 8d 9h] [4h]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
YOURFATNESS - Shows [Ah Ac] (Two Pair, aces and fives)
CIGGYPOP - Shows [Qh 5h] (Three of a kind, fives)
CIGGYPOP Collects $7730 from main pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total Pot($7730)
Board [5c 5d 8d 9h 4h]
Seat 1: YOURFATNESS (big blind) HI:lost with Two Pair, aces and fives
[Ah Ac - P:Ah,P:Ac,B:5d,B:5c,B:9h]
Seat 2: AJBROWN092 Folded on the POCKET CARDS
Seat 3: POKEHER4LUCK Folded on the POCKET CARDS
Seat 4: CLINTR Folded on the POCKET CARDS
Seat 5: SADDESTSTEVE Folded on the POCKET CARDS
Seat 6: CEASER5 Folded on the POCKET CARDS
Seat 7: CIGGYPOP won Total ($7730) HI ($7730) with Three of a kind, fives [Qh 5h - P:5h,B:5d,B:5c,P:Qh,B:9h]
Seat 8: MARILYNKAY (dealer) Folded on the POCKET CARDS
Seat 9: BILLYBETZ01 (small blind) Folded on the POCKET CARDS

nomasburros

nomasburros

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think i would put them chips all in and make the caller make the decision...i guess im an idiot that way..but i would rather take it down on the flop than give some donk the opportunity to draw out on me..

I

islandtime2

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, your explanation of the blind structure explains why he is calling your preflop raise with Q5 suited. With 2min blinds everyone plays like a desperate shortstack especially since he had posistion and had you covered so he is thinking why not take a shot at hitting a flush. These tournies are a crapshoot anyway - like you said more like a freeroll.

C

cardsDontMatter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, your explanation of the blind structure explains ...

I thought OP played Aces just fine until I saw the 2 min blinds!!

Value, Value, Value... there is no room for poker.

Always state the structure in original posts.

silverslugger33

silverslugger33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think i would put them chips all in and make the caller make the decision...i guess im an idiot that way..but i would rather take it down on the flop than give some donk the opportunity to draw out on me..

Go look at it again and you'll see how much of an overbet you're suggesting. Any hand that you have beat will fold to that bet and any hand that's beating you will call. I am strongly opposed to the all in here. You can't be afraid to play the hand. You have a strong hand. Just build up the pot.

edit: I know he lost, but that doesn't change much. 9/10 times the aces are good here.

T

THGE

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
You wanted to get more chips possible because of this you put yourself in risk. You lose, I know, but you played correct this hand.
I prefer lose in this way than win a few chips with AA in BB.

T

tdude

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with the stakes this high i doubt anyone would play with a 5 unless it is like a 5 suited, even that might not be played. i would just bet high to get your opponents out of your way. you do not want them to river you, which is possible if they are still in

Sumun

Sumun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its hard to fold with that hand, but thats poker, and those things happen

A

All in with a2c

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think your raise of $350 should of been higher. With such a bet it gave the villian 2 to 1 odds to call which are good odds to begin with. It was only roughly 5% of his chip stack so if he was conected or suited like he was it's a no brainer of a call to see the flop. Unfortunately he hit the flop and you were dead from there BUT you should of bet the flop as well and if he raised you could get away with minimal losses compared to your whole stack. If he just called your bet then you could of checked the flop and checked the river and still saved money or folded to a huge bet

Worst case you shove all in and you take down $350 or he calls and your still on the outside looking in

Janon

Janon

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
well the thing with aces you want 1 caller and thats wat he got the guy had chips to call the raise so he did he lucked out hit his trips on the flop and bet small for a call which he did over all i think its just aces getting cracked without knowing it happens to the best of us and i dont think you could get out of the situation except for a higher raise preflop but people love to get 1 call with aces so in the end nothing :p