Donk play or Taking a good chance?

F

Freakakanus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This was a $5 sng with a top prize of $50.
Final table

Was this an o.k. risk that just didn't work out or a totally stupid play from start to finish?
I am trying to be more aggressive without playing like a total dummy.
I don't play knowing pot odds and EV and that stuff mainly because I can't do the math in my head that quick.
I figured the $50 out of the big blind was o.k. even with a 9/3
I could have folded after the $600 bet but this is where I'm trying to be more aggressive so with 2 straight draws I had I thought I had enough outs and the pot was big enough to try and hopefully steal it.
I had been aggressive all tourney having the nuts sometimes and buying blinds with nothing at other times so I'm not sure what my image was.
Anyway let me know what you think.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_4.jpg
    ScreenHunter_4.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 81
ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PF, call is ok; you have odds to call with almost anything
on the flop, with a bet and a call to you, i think you should definitely lay it down; somebody's got to have something.
I say being more aggressive is a good choice, but you could have picked a better situation.
(plus the 4 would only give you the sucker straight, and youd be very vulnerable)

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PF: Fine

Flop: Double gutshot, one end of which may well not be clean, facing a decent-sized bet and a call and with very little fold equity if you push? Err, trivially easy fold. There's a marked difference between being aggressive and being reckless. You might find a case for pushing as a squeeze play if (a) your stack is a bit bigger, and (b) your opponents aren't total donks, but even then I much prefer folding.

T

Threesixes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats a must fold on the flop in my opinion.

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You're pre-flop is OK. Pot-odds and all that. But as soon as that $600 bet came out, you should have ran away like a scared little girl. And the all-in move was way too aggressive. Sure, you got the bluffer out of the hand, but IMO you should never risk your entire stack on a bluff or semi-bluff.

Another thing is what you are drawing to. Sure, you have two draws here, but what happens if you get the 4? You are vulnerable to anyone holding an 8 (as one of your opponents did have). Ok then, so that straight is basically worthless if you hit. What about your other option? Same thing. If you hit an 8, you are vulnerable to a 10. Either way, you wouldn't be holding the nuts even if you did hit your straight.

So, like the guys say, pick a better spot next time. :)

F

Fish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To answer the question in the title of this thread: Donk Play.
First off, you don't have the chips to push anyone off of this hand, let alone 3 players. Not to mention you have a player that is all-in ahead of you who will most certainly beat 9 high.
Unfortunately, this was the definition of donk-play.

F

Fish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
juiceeQ said:
but IMO you should never risk your entire stack on a bluff or semi-bluff.
The better players Can, and DO.

T

Threesixes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fish said:
The better players Can, and DO.

I Can and DO, does that mean Im one of the better players :D

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Threesixes said:
I Can and DO, does that mean Im one of the better players :D
Yes,it does. Freak I am in agreement with the above, preflop fine, but after that walk away. Being more agressive is certainly good but controlled aggression is the key, not just aggression for aggression for aggressions sake. Based on what I have seen from you at the tables lately, you are on the right track.;)

JessieBear15331

JessieBear15331

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OUCH! It happens to the best of us though! I agree with everyone before me, your PF was perfect. But you should have definitely thrown away your hand after the flop. You would be extremely vulnerable had you hit the straight with a 4, or with an 8. Unfortunately, you did'nt have the nuts, and you stayed in this hand for too long with nothing. Unfortunately, you learned your lesson the hard way.

F

Freakakanus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for setting me back on track guys. I appreciate all the input, you guys are great.

papa_dp

papa_dp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
of course you have to call the 50 preflop. this example of pot odds is simple, 50 more for a 750 pot. hands down your in this hand. However the check on the flop was good as your drawing to one overcard and a inside str8 draw. leaving you with 7 outs. not great.....when the guy bets 600 with that board you have to think about a few things. many online players will call the 250 all-in especially against the blinds with a marginal hand to try and knock-out the all-in. with a 5-6-7 rainbow, when a player bets 600, a number of hands could cause that bet. 1) he has top pair good kicker. 2) he flopped his two pair (suited connectors will often call the 250) 3) perhaps a low set, though doubt full...a low pocket pair (considering the player is decent) would push all-in and get you out of the hand to go up against the all-in HU. the check raise is a great idea, but definetly not in this situation...

zinzan1000

zinzan1000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With 5 players seeing the flop and the flop showing 5-6-7, holding 9-3 this was not the time to to be aggressive.
As some of the others stated, wait for a more favourable time to use this play.
With the pot at 1250 pre-flop it was a good opportunity to be aggressive but after seeing what flopped and with half the players at the table also seeing it, you are somewhat vulnerable.

zinzan1000

P

pokerbrat0582

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The first thing that a player should learn is when to let it go. You probably shouldnt even have called that raise PF. You should ask yourself if you were playing live would you risk $50 on 93o?!?!?! You should have either folded or raised, but flat calling was definitely the wrong move.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Kudos for being able to push with nothing. Was a good semibluff, but when you are semi-bluffing you are looking at a multitude of things, the main one in this instance being:

-Can you take this pot down now by pushing them off their hands?
I think you could have, but not by checking. You would have had to bet out, and probably go all in. By letting him bet 600 and have 1 caller, he had the odds to call 900 more, so you couldn't push him off of the a/8.

I don't think the idea was bad, I just think you should have bet out instead of checking.

T

Threesixes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fish said:
Just for fun: I haven't seen you play, but the answer is probably No.

Darn it, im gonna have to stop doing that then :D

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Threesixes said:
Darn it, im gonna have to stop doing that then :D
Well I am glad you came to your senses before I lost all my money.:p