Deep in rebuy with a draw

F

fiddy1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm new to posting hand analysis - i hope i've done it right ! :)

I'm a shortish stack, no reads on the villain as we've just moved - apart from folding to the raise, was a push here a bad move also ? Obviously not hitting the straight means yes ! :eek:

Its deep in a rebuy, 44 left out of 432, and 68 cashed.

Stacks:

* BB with 19385
* UTG with 33620
* UTG+1 with 107722
* MP1 with 16953
* MP2 with 71738
* MP3 with 41327
* CO with 160824
* BTN with 22290
* SB with 35435

hand.pl

hand.pl

Blinds: 800/1600
Site: pokerstars
* * Dealt to BB:A♥ 5♥
* * Sklansky group 5
Preflop:
* * 2 players fold.
* * MP1 calls [1600]
* * 1 players fold.
* * MP3 raises 4800 to 6400
* * 3 players fold.
* * Hero calls [4800]
* * 1 players folded.
* * Total folds this street: 7
* * Potsize: 15200
Flop:
* * 7♥ 6♠ 4♣
* * Hero: checks
* * MP3 bets [5000]
* * 1 players fold.
* * Hero raises 7835 to 12835 [ all-in ]
* * MP3 calls [7835]
* * Potsize: 40870
Turn:
* * K♦
* * Potsize: 40870
River:
* * K♣
Results:
* * Hero shows a pair of Kings:
* * A♥ 5♥
* * MP3 shows two pair, Aces and Kings:
* * A♠ A♣
* * MP3 collected 42220 from pot

Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this right here... Hero calls [4800]

why call 3bb which is almost 1/5 20% of your stack in this case, out of position and with such a weak hand. On flop Yes I would of done same but if you fold this pre flop you would of still had plenty of chips to work with after and could of waited for a better spot.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I probably just let this go before the flop too.

Yes, your stack is starting to get a little short but you've still got an M around 8 and can probably find a better spot to get your money in.

I take the overall pace of the tournament into account in this spot too - if the bubble's recently burst there's likely to be lots of people doing all sorts of crazy stuff: by tightening up at this stage you can likely get yourself bumped up the payout ladder a few spots too.

F

fiddy1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
by tightening up at this stage you can likely get yourself bumped up the payout ladder a few spots too.

This is where my experience is lacking ... sometimes i feel like if i push surely i wont be called ... and then i run into AA or something stupid ...

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is where my experience is lacking ... sometimes i feel like if i push surely i wont be called ... and then i run into AA or something stupid ...

It happens a lot at this stage of the tournament - everyone will tighten right up on the bubble to make sure they make it into the money, so often it's profitable to push people around at that stage. Making this exact move on the bubble, for example, might have worked.

As soon as the bubble bursts, however, people tend to lose their minds. Everyone starts thinking about getting enough chips to make the final table, the low-stacks start shoving willy-nilly in a desperate attempt to chip up and the big stacks start calling lots of shoves because they know quite often short stacks will be pushing light.

In your situation, it means you've got very little fold equity - you ran into AA this hand, but you would likely have been called by much lesser hands that had you beat too.

Quite often, the most profitable thing can be to just step out of the way until the madness is over. Things will tighten up again on the final table bubble, but until then you can probably just sit back and wait for a decent hand. The upside to the madness is that, when you get a monster, you'll likely get paid off for it because the big stacks are in calling mode.

Melkor

Melkor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, what has been said above is true, A5s is not what you want to be calling raises with. An M of 8 means we are looking for first in vigorish (us being first into the pot) and big hands to shove over raises with, not calling raises OOP with marginal hands. Also remember that there is still a player to act, who could re-raise, even though those chances are slim with him limping.

On the flop, to check-raise with a draw needs to have a lot of fold equity attached to the play, and unfortunately here we are not getting much at all. Obviously with villain having AA there is none, but with odds of 33035:7835 (around 4:1) he has the odds for probably calling with two overcards even!

Nice job on the cash though.:)

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A5 preflop, OOP, with your stack size = fold preflop

F

fiddy1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the advise without calling me an idiot .. :eek:

I guess experience is key here to getting me to final table instead of just ITM...

Thx