Could I have gotten villian off his hand?

P

phatjose

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, I play in a weekly thursday night live tournament with some friends and a few randoms. I've played with villian on a couple of occasions now. Have a very good read on him as being extremely loose and only slightly aggressive. He will raise when he has the goods, but usually just be a calling station otherwise. To put it in perspective, I was calling his hands blind to almost perfect accuracy after this happened just cause I was so disgusted with what happened. He also classifies a "draw" as being able to hit runner runner to make it. Here's the set up, fairly early in the tourney so most people are still working with their initial 1500 except for villian and BB who combined to take out someone else in a three way all in that amounted to basically swapping chips around.

SB (1500)
BB (~2000)
Villian (~2500)
UTG+1 (1500)
MP1 (1500)
MP2 (1500)
Hero(1500)
Button(1500)

Hole cards: AcJc

SB (posts 15)
BB (posts 30)
Villian raises to 100
UTG+1 folds
MP1 folds
MP2 folds
Hero reraises to 250
Button folds
SB folds
BB folds
Villian calls

Pot: 545

Flop: 10s 10c 8c

Villian checks
Hero bets 300
Villian calls

Pot 1145

Turn: 10s 10c 8c 6d

Villian checks
Hero bets 500
Villian calls

Pot 2145

River: 7h

Villian bets 600
Hero mucks in disgust

Villian shows Qd9d (yes he raised UTG with Q9)

It's obvious he hit his hand at this point and that he was holding a 9, my only question is could I have bet more on the flop and turn to get him off this hand? Generally in this tournament a 500 bet will scare off almost anyone, regardless of pot size (most people don't understand the concept of pot odds here so they just look at raw chip counts vs their stack size). Needless to say this crippled me and I ended up busting out in 5th (amazingly I outlasted 3 other people with some shrewd blind stealing).

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
bluffing (or even semi-bluffing, as in this case) a calling station is always be a dangerous thing.

The description fits a few people that I play live with as well, and if I know them, they'll often even call a shove with a hand like that. So if the villain was anything like the ones I know... no, I don't know if there's much you could've done to get him off the hand.

Instead, I'd just acknowledge that they're a calling station, and bet harder into them with my made hands instead.

P

phatjose

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, in retrospect I probably should have slowed down and waited. It's just irritating knowing that my A had him dominated up till that river (and I knew it), and that he would have folded had he not been on a draw. In any event, we are going to be playing at the same cash game tomorrow, so I will get my revenge on him then.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands