Was this correct?

G

Googlez

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a $40 buy-in real game @ the Bicycle Club here in LA...
2/4 no limit

I have 31 chips and the button.

9 person table

UTG folds
2nd folds
3rd folds
4th makes it 15 to go
5th folds
6th folds
I raise all-in 16 more, making it 31 to go.
SB folds
BB folds
the guy who had bet 15 calls 16 more.... he has about $80 in chips @ the begining of the hand.

i was holding AQ suited...

we dont immediatly show...

flop comes 2 rags and a 9
i show him my AQ suited, he shows me a 9h

Turn comes the Ace of clubs, he flips over the ace of hearts.

river is another rag.

him: Ah 9h
me: Ad Qd

he has been loose all day, raising in early positon with K-10 and so forth.

I had been on the table for about a little over an hour, and this was my 3rd hand i had played the whole time... the first hand being a free flop holding 3-4 off.... which i then folded... and the 2nd being a KQ suited which flopped a straight and everyone saw...

Now i was a tad upset he would call my re-raise all in with A-9.... but my friends are saying having $15 invested... calling $16 more was perfectly fine.. and i guess A-9 suited i could kinda understand the call with his pot-size.. but this wasn't a tournament, and i had been playing pretty tight....

am i wrong to be a tad upset with his call, or would u guys have made the same call??? and wtf was he doin raising it to $15 with A-9?

BB

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Googlez said:
am i wrong to be a tad upset with his call

What you should be upset with is your temporarily bad luck, not how he played. He got his money in with the worst hand, and not only that, but a dominated worst hand. You were a 2 to 1 favorite.

Let me put it differently: When you made the raise, what other hand were you hoping he'd have that would have given you better odds?

G

Googlez

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
was hopin he'd fold =]... he was damn loose since i had sat down, but a damn lucky bastard who won a couple of pots being a heavy under-dog....

my friends were just tellin me im stupid if i had bet $15.. and when re-raised to $31, i would have folded A-9 suited..... if the person who raised all-in had been folding all night long..... and i just wanna confirm that playing that hand in that situation (the A-9) is wrong, and that i just got unlucky..... because im being told it was the correct play... and even more insulting, my friend said "if you were gonna fold that hand if you were in his shoes, ide love guys like you on my table.. folding everytime i re-raise".....

i guess more than anything, im looking for reassurance =]

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ah. Well, no, A9s is not a particularly strong hand when someone else has indicated strength, no. It's a hand that's often dominated. But here's the thing:

When you raised him, he was getting 3 to 1 (46 to 16) odds. In fact, even if he knew you had AQ, he should call, because the odds of him winning this hand were about 2 to 1 (7 to 3). In fact, I think only AA would be strong enough to get him out of the pot at this point.

This doesn't mean that you were wrong to raise, quite the contrary. The mistake he made was making a big raise with A9 to begin with, but once that mistake was made, he would have been wrong to fold when you reraised him.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, it's not necessarily a good thing to expect opponents to act the way you would. You're also assuming this opponent had a table image of you as tight; that he was thinking the same way you were. Just because you think someone should have a certain image of you doesn't mean they actually do, not even if everyone else at the table does have that image of you

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe he called because there were suited and therefore would have more outs (preflop anyway)? After all, he didn't know what you had when he raised.

Rockbuster

Rockbuster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played it right. Sorry you had some bad luck. Loose players are great to have at a table but they do catch cards and better their hands at the most inopertune times. Been there done that. They win more pots but lose more money in the long run...............Rock