catch up, what would you have done differently?

frisellan

frisellan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what would you have done differently?
I've shown the entire hand to show what I did.
I'll explain my thought process after I hear yours.

Table 3 - 15/30 - No Limit Hold'em - 12:36:35 ET - 2009/01/17
Seat 1: WEED ISGOOD420 (1,485)
Seat 2: bredstik (1,395)
Seat 4: DutchSweeny (1,575)
Seat 5: tasy_sebastian (1,440)
Seat 7: FCKDENNIS (1,710)
Seat 8: xX FATONY Xx (1,455)
Seat 9: Boon23 (1,440)
Boon23 posts the small blind of 15
WEED ISGOOD420 posts the big blind of 30
The button is in seat #8
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to xX FATONY Xx [Ks As]
bredstik folds
DutchSweeny folds
tasy_sebastian folds
FCKDENNIS folds
xX FATONY Xx raises to 90
Boon23 calls 75
WEED ISGOOD420 folds
*** FLOP *** [Ac 9s 6h]
Boon23 checks
xX FATONY Xx checks
*** TURN *** [Ac 9s 6h] [8s]
Boon23 checks
xX FATONY Xx bets 120
Boon23 raises to 480
xX FATONY Xx raises to 1,365, and is all in
Boon23 folds
Uncalled bet of 885 returned to xX FATONY Xx
xX FATONY Xx mucks
xX FATONY Xx wins the pot (1,170)
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 1,170 | Rake 0
Board: [Ac 9s 6h 8s]
Seat 1: WEED ISGOOD420 (big blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 2: bredstik didn't bet (folded)
Seat 4: DutchSweeny didn't bet (folded)
Seat 5: tasy_sebastian didn't bet (folded)
Seat 7: FCKDENNIS didn't bet (folded)
Seat 8: xX FATONY Xx (button) collected (1,170), mucked
Seat 9: Boon23 (small blind) folded on the Turn

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
ok

Nicely repopped vs bluff - imo.

That early stage of the MTT it is not impossible for random villian to call with Ax
- he probably missed the 2pr here.
Without further read I think you played it ok.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really like the line of checking behind TPTK on boards this dry. Especially when he could go nuts with Ax. Given how you played it + your big redraws you gotta get it in on the turn, if he's 2-/3-outed you, then nh gg. I don't think villain has much here, he's trying to represent the A, maybe thinking you have JJ-KK, but I don't think you were extracting much more from this hand.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't mind checking the flop for a touch of pot control, i hate shoving the turn however, when someone check/raises the turn, they usually have the nuts, or in this case a bluff, but the only hand that calls our shove is a hand that has us crushed, unless villain shows up with a,q but that would be a weird line. I much prefer just calling the raise then re evaluating river

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We're not going for pot control, we're trying to induce bluffs on the turn.

frisellan

frisellan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't mind checking the flop for a touch of pot control, i hate shoving the turn however, when someone check/raises the turn, they usually have the nuts, or in this case a bluff, but the only hand that calls our shove is a hand that has us crushed, unless villain shows up with a,q but that would be a weird line. I much prefer just calling the raise then re evaluating river

I actually checked the flop because I thought he would fold If I bet. Not for pot control but to try to let him catch up or get caught bluffing. I felt I was in control of this hand from the getgo. I shoved because I felt he was one away from the s8 and was going to make him have to gamble at a bad price. If I was wrong and he has the s8 I still have a few outs to escape with. That was the thought process anyway.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when i said pot control, i meant everything involved in the entire process, so i was acocunting for, keeping pot relatively small, inducing bluffs, to get vlaue on later streets, to prevent tough decision facing check raise etc. I basically just didnt want to write all of that, so used pot control to some it up, now wish i hadn't ldo since i had to type anyway

Last edited:
frisellan

frisellan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when i said pot control, i meant everything involved in the entire process, so i was acocunting for, keeping pot relatively small, inducing bluffs, to get vlaue on later streets, to prevent tough decision facing check raise etc. I basically just didnt want to write all of that, so used pot control to some it up, now wish i hadn't ldo since i had to type anyway

Well thanks for your thoughts. Sometimes you have to spell things out for me to understand, but you only have to explain it once.

M

mr tinkles

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
catch up, what would you have done differently?

I'm missing this. catch up to what?

??? You played the hand fine, and won. But you make 1 mistake.

who calls your reraise there?

Picking off a bluff is all good and dandy. Betting your stack with just TPTK is a little risky, imo.

frisellan

frisellan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I meant letting the villain "catch up"
I thought I was well ahead of him on the flop

FatBasset

FatBasset

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mostly bet when I hit my Ace because I want people to respect my continuation bets. I don't want to fall into a pattern of betting with nothing and checking when I hit something.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No one notices patterns in tournaments anyway...

H

hbkmad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually checked the flop because I thought he would fold If I bet. Not for pot control but to try to let him catch up or get caught bluffing. I felt I was in control of this hand from the getgo. I shoved because I felt he was one away from the s8 and was going to make him have to gamble at a bad price. If I was wrong and he has the s8 I still have a few outs to escape with. That was the thought process anyway.
that was a great play u won a thousand that early u can get really deep now. Great play

M

mr tinkles

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok, sure, well played. but, 'who calls your reraise there?'

seriously. Are you trying to protect your hand with an overbet? Making a bluff? Who calls you here? Total donks???

The hand that has you beat. I'd call you with any set, and any made str, maybe even CR you in that spot OOP. Which they did...

If you are so confident you are ahead, make a value call/bet, extract more chips?

Maybe you have better reads than me, but who calls that reraise?

AZE

AZE

DC Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would not raise PF, AK may look pretty but it is still a drawing hand. I'd much rather have 22 than AK, because 22 beats AK.

when you flop your ace you can't check this board is just wayyyy too drawy, and kind of card like an 8 or a T and you're just in a bad spot...

And look what we have on the turn, an 8... but we're not dead yet, as we have a spade draw. So I just like to shove this, and if we get called we can still hit a spade.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would not raise PF, AK may look pretty but it is still a drawing hand. I'd much rather have 22 than AK, because 22 beats AK.

youve been a member here for like 18 months, yet you still say that?

C

cardsDontMatter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

LOL.. sounds eerily familiar to a SB/AK hand tirade a few weeks ago.

Pricing Villain out? Approximates follow:

You're betting 1,365 to win 810, while your Villain has to call 860+- into a pot of 2175. What's in the pot at your bet no longer matters, it's the pot.

Villain is not committed to the pot, but the odds you've just laid ... marginal for TPTK. Going broke on that, as someone pointed out, is risky.

Last edited:
AZE

AZE

DC Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
youve been a member here for like 18 months, yet you still say that?

Yes. and? whats your point. I'm right and if you don't know that maybe you should spent alittle more time on here learning

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a,k suited is favourite over 22 fwiw, but thats not the point. The point is that a,k is 3rd or 4th best starting hand in poker depending on whether you rank it above or below queens, so you should be raising it because it isn't a 'drawing hand'. If you get it all in against a,q, what are you drawing to?

KardKlub

KardKlub

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is a drawing hand in my humble opinion because if you do not hit with any five cards all you have is A high, meaning 2 2 would win.

But A K is a raising hand 80% of the time so as to get rid of the lower hands and give you a better chance of winning. If a high card hits the flop and you hold 2 2, chances are your going to fold to any raise. If you hold A K and a Q hits, chances are you'll be the one making the continuation bet to a couple of people who will then fold unless they hit something or can draw with good odds etc blah blah blah

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 65.751% 64.91% 00.84% 21783519396 283348986.00 { AKs, AKo }
Hand 1: 34.249% 33.40% 00.84% 11210941032 283348986.00 { random }

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 50.334% 49.39% 00.95% 6215338932 119416020.00 { 22 }
Hand 1: 49.666% 48.72% 00.95% 6131263428 119416020.00 { random }

Settled?

T

thefatman313

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think i would also had bet the flop...i usually bet my hands. It's best practice to not try and trap or trick ooopenet early...betting your hand is always the best way to avoid the suck out.....i wish he would had sucked out on you for checking and then this thread would be about how to bet your hand! not how not to bet, seems you do your fair share of not betting.

C

cardsDontMatter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes. and? whats your point. I'm right and if you don't know that maybe you should spent alittle more time on here learning

Well, AZE... in this hand, particularly, you are missing some points. Now is the time to start taking pots nobody seems to want. 45 chips here is a free round. Chips, no matter what, are chips.

On top of that, Hero has position, a good hand and has enough chips here to play some poker, so, raising here GETS CHIPS INTO THE POT, which is want you want with A9s+, 22+ here.

We've all gone broke on AK when we've limped and when we've raised; when we've hit the flop and when we've whiffed. The biggest point of poker is never getting to a showdown unless you have the stone cold nuts and when that happens, you need your opponent to have a hand, too and all the chips need to be in the middle. Raising AKs is drawing to the stone cold nuts in this hand.

Raising gives you more chances to win a pot before showdown than limping.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I mostly bet when I hit my Ace because I want people to respect my continuation bets. I don't want to fall into a pattern of betting with nothing and checking when I hit something.

^^^ agree here. If you understand this, then mixing up your play is good, and the flop check is understandable, but then this becomes a brag.

No one notices patterns in tournaments anyway...

No one except the folks who eventually win.......:eek: