Calling down a preflop raiser

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone want to take a stab at explaining this play for me?

I've switched the HH so the Hero is my opponent, and I'm the SB, so we're looking at the hand from my opponent's point of view.

I'm playing my usual at this kind of blind level; no open limping, I've probably stolen some blinds to keep going. I think at some point I looked at my stats and I was 29/20 when the table was around this size. Table as is often the case at these low level buy ins is very tight when the blinds get high.

Stacks: - SB with 2755 - BB with 6055 - CO with 3475 - BTN with 1215

index.pl

index.pl

Site: full tilt poker
Holecards:
* - BB (Hero) is dealt
5c.gif
5h.gif

(Sklansky group 6)
Preflop:
* - SB raises to 300
* - BB (Hero)
calls [180]
* - Folds: 2
* - Potsize: 600
Flop:
2c.gif
td.gif
4h.gif

* - SB bets [400]
* - BB
calls [400]
* - Potsize: 1400
Turn:
6c.gif

* - SB bets [800]
* - BB
calls [800]
* - Potsize: 3000
River:
7c.gif

* - SB bets [1,255, and is all in]
* - BB
calls [1,255]

Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

I dislike the flop call the least; if I know me there's a good chance I've missed the flop and I'm c-betting. The rest I don't like at all.

Anyone else? This guy didn't seem to be a really terrible player; he and I ended up heads up and I was unable to manipulate him by mixing up my play and reading his bets, and like what often happens in this case is I ended up taking myself out with my aggression.

S

SpankYoAces

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So you got beat by a bigger stack is that what happened? Your pocket pair didn't hold up.

Walkmanx

Walkmanx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree with u ninelions, i can somewhat understand the flop call, but the turn and the river, is just odd, but i quess those are the players that are paying good players like us :D off :)

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He picks up a gut shot on the turn, and by the time he calls that probably feels he is committed to calling the river getting almost 3:1, and with no J+ card having hit. If you have an over pair or the ten, he is just resigned to paying you off.

Regarding your read: what did you think he was calling with on the fairly dry flop that he was then going to fold to second/third shells?

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So you got beat by a bigger stack is that what happened? Your pocket pair didn't hold up.

Like, FP, I'm a little confused too, unless you're saying I had a lower pair than 55 and lost?

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He picks up a gut shot on the turn, and by the time he calls that probably feels he is committed to calling the river getting almost 3:1, and with no J+ card having hit. If you have an over pair or the ten, he is just resigned to paying you off.

True, though the gutshot on the turn only gives him four 3s plus his two 5s for 6 outs, and I would guess that I'm not just firing a second bullet, although I might. The river call I can see as well given the pot odds at that point and the unlikelihood that I've done this with a club flush draw.

Regarding your read: what did you think he was calling with on the fairly dry flop that he was then going to fold to second/third shells?

Good question. Actually I was looking at it the other way as I had KcTc for top pair on the flop and I was looking to price him into making mistakes if he wanted to call down. I was just surprised that he did, and then with what.

Thanks AG. I'm glad I posted in this "reversed" perspective.