Call River? Unknown villian

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, its fine game, range villain here can be 8x or 9x, with your best kicker and good pot odds you need only call river.

L

lukeellul92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeh, I'd call. You got coolered, nothing else you can do.
Probably would have raised more preflop though. 2.5bb instead of just 2x. Probably wont make much different but yeh.

C

captainD

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a tough spot bro. I would of most likely made the call too but I would of fired a second barrel on the turn. By not firing on the turn you creating a really tough spot for yourself. There are so many pro's too firing on the turn in this spot. I can mention two important ones that are of importance.

1 - By betting the turn, you have control of the pot size. If you get re-raised here, you are more than likely behind and can easily fold. Not likely you will be getting re-raised with anything weaker than A;9 besides the occasional bluff or semi bluff of J;10 (most likely not going to take place)
2 - When you fire on the turn and your opponent has a monster such as the hand in question. If he decides to flat call, you do have position on him. It is most likely your opponent is going to try to extract even further value from you by checking the river. In this case you get to check right back at him and save yourself some funds.

Overall you are going to save yourself a lot of money in the long run by extracting as much information as possible from your opponent in cases such as the one displayed. These little things are the difference between long term profits and losses.

I am not saying you not a profitable player. Just my view on the hand provided.

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never will understand those preflop minbets in a middle position (+ante), but this is more like personal preference!

Answering your question: yes you have to (at least, this is questionable but what he could have here - anything since you give villain horrendeous odds anyway by minbeting preflop) call river, folding is out of question for me, even pot size bet i would call. What villain could possible have here? This time villain hit his trips on flop, but this does not happen very often. Knowing the result is negative affect of the entire analyze anyway. imo

As played most of the time i would bet turn to gain value+for protection our holding.

But i never bet for info, i bet for value or for protection.

Last edited:
C

captainD

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never will understand those preflop minbets in a middle position (+ante), but this is more like personal preference!

Answering your question: yes you have to (at least, this is questionable but what he could have here - anything since you give villain horrendeous odds anyway by minbeting preflop) call river, folding is out of question for me, even pot size bet i would call. What villain could possible have here? This time villain hit his trips on flop, but this does not happen very often. Knowing the result is negative affect of the entire analyze anyway. imo

As played most of the time i would bet turn to gain value+for protection our holding.

But i never bet for info, i bet for value or for protection.

I do agree with your analysis, however the instances where I refer to betting for more information is crucial also happens to be mainly related to hands where you are basically paying for protection. But there are other instances in which I feel that betting for information is required, regardless of the protection.

2Pacavelli

2Pacavelli

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I continue betting on the turn , but the way you played minimizing losses , it is very difficult to read this kind of hand without villain information.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Standard/bookline play on your part. Good job.

Minimizing losses is also a winning poker.

C

captainD

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

The reason this spot is so tough is how the hand has played out, and not having any information on the villain.

By checking the turn, you are only confusing yourself and I have to disagree with the above comments about it being good play to control the pot size because this is completely not true. Checking the turn is the worst possible play you can make for many reasons. When you check the turn, you are already showing weakness.

Let's give the villain some possible hands which we will include the outcome of each hand and how the hand would of played out had you bet the turn VS no bet on the turn:

Scenario with villain holding pocket 4s:

- By checking the turn:
Villain decides on the amount to bet on the river as you have now checked the turn and he wants value for his made hand. If you have a hand which you did, and your villain has a good read on you he is going to come out betting stronger than your turn bet and extract as much value as possible. On the rare occasion your opponent may check the river enticing you to bet with a missed draw but at these stakes, you won't see this play often. Player's need to make sure they get paid with made hands. ( Villain controlling pot size )

- Betting the turn:
By betting the turn you are only profiting and protecting yourself. If you bet the turn, more often than not, your opponent will be re-raising your bet with a monster hand should he have one. You simply fold. ( Controlling pot size )
If your opponent flat calls with a monster hand. Well great. His more than likely going to check the river again hoping you take another stab at the pot. I am guessing you will check right behind him here. ( Controlling pot size )
Also, by betting the turn you making your opponent pay for any drawing hands to be completed such as J,10 or 7,10 in this case. By checking the turn, you allowing your opponent to check a card for free which is never good.

The only time you should ever be checking the turn in this hand should be with drawing hands such, as j,10; 7,10; and any suited clubs.

I could go on and on, but I'm sure you get where I am going with this.

This is just my opinion and I think it makes the most sense to me. Feel free to let me know if you disagree and the reason behind it. Would appreciate the input.

"We always learning"