On the button, pocket 9s

C

chrisash

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm on the button, slightly above average stack. A guy has joined the table recently and has played every hand since he joined (about 10) however he is chip leader by a good 400% to the next person down so can afford to bully. He's extremely loose though - has won hands with 7 2, 10 4 etc.

I've got 99 in hand, two calls, three folds, then on me. I raise 3x BB, next person (SB) goes all in for 6x BB. New joiner reraises 10x BB. I go all in seeing an opportunity to double up...

Short stack SB turns over nothing (Q 3 offsuit I think), new guy turns over JQ offsuit, I show my 9s. He hits a jack on the river.

Right move?

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Blind sizes? Actual stack sizes? Hand history?

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You weren't wrong, just unlucky. You had to know the situation was not all that favorable, but textbook poker suggests you have to slow down the maniacs somehow.

Not absolutely sure I believe that having suffered a recent serious similar beat.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i prolly fold if it's the situation i think it is.

Afterlife000

Afterlife000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well if you say he has been playing every hand, and you see him re raise that much, then yeah i wouldve done the same thing you did. You just got unlucky, nothing you can do about it.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't really like it because its too much action for 99. If the loose guy had folded then its an obvious call for only 3 more BB, but as you describe it its a fold.

With 2 callers in the pot your PF raise should have been 5BB's when it was your turn to act, not sure it would have made a difference but as played you likely won't isolate anyone because your raise is offering good odds, and people will still call even with marginal hands like QJo, particularly if they're loose.

As was already said you're not giving us stacks and blinds sizes, because maybe the right move would have been to shove with 99 when it was your turn to act. Like this I can't really say. For sure the PF raise is too small. Another important consequence of not knowing stack sizes is that I don't know how big the side pot is between you and the loose guy.

With the info you give, it sounds more like a fold.