Bluffed

L

Legex

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
to make it short, here is the hand i thought about 3 days. would like to hear your opinion:

i called with AJ os in position vs 3BB raise

flop:

9h 4h 2s
-> he bets about half the pot -> i reraise ( 2x his bet) -> call

turn:

Ah
-> big bet from opponent -> fold my AJ -> showed me his bluff ( KQ of)

dont know was his call after my reraise just a weak play? did i have to bet more? its crazy but i was scary of AA and ofc the flush.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
to make it short, here is the hand i thought about 3 days. would like to hear your opinion:

flop:

9h 4h 2s

turn:

Ah

dont know was his call after my reraise just a weak play? did i have to bet more? its crazy but i was scary of AA and ofc the flush.

Why did you fold? God gave you that ace on the turn for a reason.You can't be that afraid of unlikely hands like flushes and pocket aces. A more likely hand would have been 2 pair like and Ace with a 9,4 or 2 along for the ride. No way you should give this one up. There are too many possible holdings that you can beat. Call if you must, but don't fold.

Your raise may have been a little light. He could have been getting decent odds (implied) to call with 2 overcards, which is what he had. But which 2 overcards? The ace on the turn gave him the opportunity to represent top pair. I'm not impressed with his bluff, but that was probably his line of thought.

Last edited:
shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all, why just call with AJ in position? That should have been an automatic re-raise IMO(my style), if he had AA, you would have known then because he would have come over the top.
Now if you had been sitting with this same player for over an hour, he had you read as a tight player that would fold to possible straight/flush on the board.
Don't adopt one style of play and stick with it, change it up from time to time.

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold this preflop and avoid all the trouble, you're up against AQ, AK enough here and getting stacked that it's worth picking a better spot.

AJ is great when first in a pot, it sucks hard when calling raises.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all, why just call with AJ in position? That should have been an automatic re-raise(if your going to decide to play it) IMO(my style), if he had AA, you would have known then because he would have come over the top.
Now if you had been sitting with this same player for over an hour, he had you read as a tight player that would fold to possible straight/flush on the board.
Don't adopt one style of play and stick with it, change it up from time to time.
Had to edit

L

Legex

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont understand why to reraise with AJ. Its not that strong - even AQ or AK would have beat me in this spot. But going with my AJ to the river where iam faced to a secound big bet? i thought it is a bad spot for me so better dont risking to much money in a marginal hand. it wasnt internet poker. i thought about the fold long time. counted my and his chips to think about what could happen on the river.

TheMaster88

TheMaster88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You re-raise and hit possibly the perfect card, yet you fold to what seems to be an over-bet. He could be strong with AK/AQ but I guarentee you he'd either bet less (wanting a call) or checked to you hoping that you'd bet out.

Anyway, I pretty much agree with Four Dogs on his points.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

flop:

9h 4h 2s

turn:

Ah

To properly answer this there is alot of info missing here. Is this a tourney or cash game? How does this villain play? How big was this turn bet? What is your table image? How many players are at this table? etc

These are important things to know. Even if you're in position, PF there are times when you fold this, smooth call it as you did, or reraise.

Now, even without that information, there are 2 things I notice here. First is that he called your flop minreraise, second he bluffed into you on a scary board. Unless I'm missing something, both actions by villain strongly suggest he has a great read on you. I think you need to go back and find any patterns in your game that he's probably taking advantage of.

About the minrereaise on the flop, do you often do this when you don't connect with the board, and raise more when you have a stronger hand? Do you raise when you have a draw and are in position? His big turn bet implies that he was sure:

a) you weren't on a draw
b) your minreraise meant weakness

His 2nd action, betting big on the turn, is a consequence of the first.

This is what you need to consider here. I wouldn't worry too much about having lost the hand falling for a bluff, because this will happen every now and then even to the best players. Folding to 2nd best hand, as long as you keep playing poker, is something you can't avoid every single time, noone is that good (I wonder how many times I've done it).

When it happens though, I think its best to forget about the pot and ask yourself why this player thought he could get away with it. If you suspect that somehow he has a good read on you then you need to make changes and mix up your game to confuse him. In that perspective occasionally you need to reraise PF with AJo, or reraise stronger on the flop, just to mention a few. You might not feel comfortable with any of those, but remember you need to do it only occasionally, not every time. Anything to decieve him is great and will pay off in the long run, garanteed. There is nothing worse than playing against someone who has a great read on you and you keep playing the same style.

I hope this offered you some ideas, GL.

smells_flushy

smells_flushy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The bigger question is, should you just flat call, or re-raise? And how much should you re-raise?

L

Legex

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
first of all i thank everyone to good the good ideas mentioned :) .
i had a tight table image but my opponent ( i play lot with him) know iam capabable of bluffing. he has a very tight image and i was kind of suprised as he showed his hand. i think the mini raise was luring me into this bad situation. i reraised because he makes a lot of continuation bets but the amount was to short. but i cant figure out why i should reraise preflop with AJ. can anyone tell me pros and cons ?

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
but i cant figure out why i should reraise preflop with AJ. can anyone tell me pros and cons ?

Don't misunderstand, I'm not telling you to make a habit of it, you certainly shouldn't.

Depending on opponents and position, its an ok move just to mix it up and decieve, if it goes to showdown it will largely affect your image and the rest of the game, and your opponents won't read you easily anymore, not to mention you might take the pot down right there. If you give a LAG image, you can be able to profit from it. It's a "once in very while" move. Doing it all the time will definitely lose in the long run. Actually, you have to fold this enough times even when you have position and pot has been raised, again, depending on raiser.

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok

i had a tight table image but my opponent ( i play lot with him) know iam capabable of bluffing. he has a very tight image and i was kind of suprised as he showed his hand. i think the mini raise was luring me into this bad situation. i reraised because he makes a lot of continuation bets but the amount was to short. but i cant figure out why i should reraise preflop with AJ. can anyone tell me pros and cons ?

the following info is assuming it is against a total unknown player, this does not pertain to playing against a TAG player that has only been showing down good hands,

lets make it simple.

you have position, he could be open raising with a variety of hands here and you just have no idea what?

you have to define your hand, by just calling you have no idea how ahead or behind you are. If you re-raise and he folds then good you won no problem ship it and thank you.

if you get cold called you can think ok this guy just cold called me out of position what kind of hand can he do that with?

small pairs 22 - JJ yes
AK - yes
AQs - most likely

now flop texture.....

flop is safe and is a good time for continuation bet, once you continuation bet lets see what he does.

if he cold calls you then you can put him on some kind of pair, most likely something small and dosent think board hit you and you are making a continuation bet.

If he raises you then you can assume he has a overpair to the board and you can get away from it easy! hell you didnt hit anything why not get away from it right? KQ is not raising you on the flop because all you have shown is strength entire hand, unless this guy is clueless.

on turn you pick up what is most likely the best hand, remember AK is not going to call you continuation bet on flop and neither is AQ so we have to figure there is a good chance he has a pair. At this point I would check and give him a chance to bluff river and call him.

sidenote- never mini raise its such a weak play!!!! I would repop you with almost anything if i saw you re-raise me minimum because that is the kind of play that chasers do to get free cards.

L

Legex

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
you missread something : he made cont bet and he is cabable of doing this. than i raised him ( yep miniraise sucked )