joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing a live tourney tonight, about 2 hours in..7 handed at my table

blinds 150/300

in the BB, look down and see 5h 6h.. folds to 4th position, he limps in, 5th folds, 6th (playing very erraticly because of a horrible beat a few hands previous, is on tilt) limps also.

i check it, and the flop comes 4c 5d 6d. i think about checking so 4th will bet, he has been bluffing a lot so far tonight and i figure i can trap him, but the very coordinated board scares me so i bet about the pot, a little less to try to string someone along with my made top 2 pair.

4th raises my 400 bet to 1200, and the tilted guy goes all in for his last 2300~ish, i immediately push myself all in, for about 4k more and the last guy calls

4th position flips over A9 diamonds, and the tilted guy flips 68o.

lost to the river'd flush, but did i make the right move?

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You didn't make the right move. First of all, you were in great position so it probably would have been a good move to raise (even the a mere suited connector) Second of all, NEVER slowplay two pair when there is two of the same suit on the flop. I would have bet big after the flop. Maybe it might not have changed the out come seeing that the player with the A-x suited probably would have called anyway, but you never know.

C

chicubs1616

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
#1) Bet the pot on the flop. Stack sizes for all players are helpful here...

#2) You lost to a 9-outer, o well.

titans4ever

titans4ever

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You had the best hand going in and got outdrawn. You knew someone with all that crazy betting was on the draw. You put your money in when it was good, that is better than most people do.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have been a little worried about that reraise all-in. That usually indicates better than top pair. But, if you really feel like you had a strong read then your all-in was the right play, and as it turns out you were right.

Now as for whether or not you made any mistakes, just pretend you've taken an F. Paulson magic pill and could see both your opponents hands. How would you have played it differently? I think you played it pretty close to perfect. I even like the NEAR pot sized bet on the flop. Remember, when you think you have the best hand, the name of the game is NOT to get your opponent to fold. It IS to induce him into making the most mathimatically incorrect play you can WITHOUT folding. Usually an opponent will have to get at least 2:1 odds to improve his hand. That's 1/2 the pot. If you can get him to call 3/4 that's even better. If you want action at all, the cutoff is usually somewhere around a pot sized bet. When I'm really trying to shake somone loose I'll overbet the pot.

Unfortunaly, there wasn't much you could do to keep 4 from chasing his nut flush. With 2 all-ins he was probably correct in calling.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You saw the flop with a small hand and hit it big; then made a nice bet on the flop and somehow managed to get both players all in. You were leading both, so aside from ending up getting unlucky and losing the hand on the river, everything went your way
I'd say it was pretty well played; I can't think of anything i'd do that was different

-ChuckTs

S

Styrofoam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IMO you played it right. 2 pair is a strong hand in holdem most of the timeholding up.... you got unlucky - but you made the right plays.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Long as you got your money in with the best hand, there isn't/wasn't much more you could do.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Correction
Four Dogs said:
. Usually an opponent will have to get at least 2:1 odds to improve his hand. That's 1/2 the pot.
1/2 the pot gives 3:1 pot odds.