Bad Play?

S

SankTheTank

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm trying to get my game up so I'm wondering if this is a bad play.

Full Tilt Poker Game #7125191968: $100 Freeroll (54061178), Table 193 - 30/60 - No Limit Hold'em - 16:17:56 ET - 2008/07/07
Seat 1: mosavage (1,585), is sitting out
Seat 2: Phenix Remind (7,038)
Seat 3: clmspa (5,915)
Seat 4: jointy181 (2,640), is sitting out
Seat 5: littletree7 (1,180), is sitting out
Seat 6: Tundra4 (2,140)
Seat 7: Candee51 (2,702)
Seat 8: bigbotts (915)
Seat 9: Zolil (1,170), is sitting out
littletree7 posts the small blind of 30
Tundra4 posts the big blind of 60
The button is in seat #4
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Tundra4 [8s 2d]
Candee51 calls 60
bigbotts folds
Zolil folds
mosavage folds
Phenix Remind folds
clmspa calls 60
jointy181 folds
littletree7 folds
Tundra4 checks
*** FLOP *** [Qs 9s 3d]
Tundra4 checks
Candee51 checks
clmspa checks
*** TURN *** [Qs 9s 3d] [As]
Tundra4 has 15 seconds left to act
Tundra4 bets 120
Candee51 calls 120
clmspa folds
*** RIVER *** [Qs 9s 3d As] [2s]
Tundra4 checks
Candee51 bets 180
Tundra4 calls 180
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Candee51 shows [Jd Js] a flush, Ace high
Tundra4 mucks
Candee51 wins the pot (810) with a flush, Ace high
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 810 | Rake 0
Board: [Qs 9s 3d As 2s]
Seat 1: mosavage didn't bet (folded)
Seat 2: Phenix Remind didn't bet (folded)
Seat 3: clmspa folded on the Turn
Seat 4: jointy181 (button) didn't bet (folded)
Seat 5: littletree7 (small blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 6: Tundra4 (big blind) mucked [8s 2d] - a flush, Ace high
Seat 7: Candee51 showed [Jd Js] and won (810) with a flush, Ace high
Seat 8: bigbotts didn't bet (folded)
Seat 9: Zolil didn't bet (folded)

Reads I had on Candee51 was that she's an aggressive player but she has folded on the river on previous hands. Not to me but to other players.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your temped to call there fold, instead of checking (cheaper in the long run).

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Instead of checking in the big blind and seeing a free flop, fold.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Right, but if you fold you won't be tempted to lose anymore chips calling with a truly hopeless hand.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Was this a bad play? It depends on what you were trying to do. If you actually thought for one nano second that you were going win this hand either outright or by stealing than yes. In fact, bad doesn't do it justice.
1st off, bluffing OP in a freeroll is uneccessary and rarely works. Your almost always going to get called by any pair, or even a single high card, which is why it's also uneccessary, you'll get plenty of action when you get a real hand. Tighten up in EP, and loosen up a bit on the button or cut-off. Go ahead and take advantage of good pot odds from the blinds but don't get carried away.

In this case, the table looked weak and you thought you'd try to represent the ace. The bet size was good, but the problem is that you were OP (out of position) vs 2 limpers. Ax is perhaps the most common limping hand, which makes it highly likely that at least one of your opponents has one, in fact, at a full table, it's about 80%; and in a freeroll they rarely get mucked. If your going to try something like this, it's best to act last and against no more than one limper, or perhaps both blinds.

So you bet and got called. That should have been the end of it. There is absolutley nothing that should have induced you to call another bet. As it is, you rivered bottom pair, but even an 8 would have left you facing 3 ovecards and a possible flush. A min bet can be called if for no other reason than to satisfy your curiosity, but nothing else. Tournament chips are precious and should not be forfeited lightly.

Granted, Candee51's JJ was hard to see based on her pre-flop weakness. She really should have raised, but trying to read hands in freerolls is an excersize in futility anyhow; there's just no figuring. At any rate, there's nothing she could have been calling or betting with that was worse than 82o, even most bluffs had you beat.

Now, if you were intentionally trying to show down a donkishly played hand in order to cash in with a real hand at a later time, then you played it like a pro. Perhaps someone at the table was paying enough attention to tag you for a worse player than you hopefully are and you can cash in on your poor image later on. But again, this is a freeroll. Nobody saw, nobody cared. They were to busy tugging their Johnson or watching the Telly Tubbies.

pitter22

pitter22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
suggestion #1 click the "unregister" button before the game begins...

Lo-Dog

Lo-Dog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
FYI he hit a flush on the river as well.

Was this a bad play? It depends on what you were trying to do. If you actually thought for one nano second that you were going win this hand either outright or by stealing than yes. In fact, bad doesn't do it justice.
1st off, bluffing OP in a freeroll is uneccessary and rarely works. Your almost always going to get called by any pair, or even a single high card, which is why it's also uneccessary, you'll get plenty of action when you get a real hand. Tighten up in EP, and loosen up a bit on the button or cut-off. Go ahead and take advantage of good pot odds from the blinds but don't get carried away.

In this case, the table looked weak and you thought you'd try to represent the ace. The bet size was good, but the problem is that you were OP (out of position) vs 2 limpers. Ax is perhaps the most common limping hand, which makes it highly likely that at least one of your opponents has one, in fact, at a full table, it's about 80%; and in a freeroll they rarely get mucked. If your going to try something like this, it's best to act last and against no more than one limper, or perhaps both blinds.

So you bet and got called. That should have been the end of it. There is absolutley nothing that should have induced you to call another bet. As it is, you rivered bottom pair, but even an 8 would have left you facing 3 ovecards and a possible flush. A min bet can be called if for no other reason than to satisfy your curiosity, but nothing else. Tournament chips are precious and should not be forfeited lightly.

Granted, Candee51's JJ was hard to see based on her pre-flop weakness. She really should have raised, but trying to read hands in freerolls is an excersize in futility anyhow; there's just no figuring. At any rate, there's nothing she could have been calling or betting with that was worse than 82o, even most bluffs had you beat.

Now, if you were intentionally trying to show down a donkishly played hand in order to cash in with a real hand at a later time, then you played it like a pro. Perhaps someone at the table was paying enough attention to tag you for a worse player than you hopefully are and you can cash in on your poor image later on. But again, this is a freeroll. Nobody saw, nobody cared. They were to busy tugging their Johnson or watching the Telly Tubbies.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why would I do that? I'm going to lose those chips anyway so I might as well give it a shot.
It's alright to give a bluff a shot but when you meet resistance and you have nothing, then there is no shame in check/fold remaining streets.
I understand that aggression is important in poker but so is discipline.:)

C

CfPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some of the replies here seem a bit harsh.

He had this in the big blind and got to see the turn for free.

As for taking a shot on the turn when everyone checked the flop, that's ok in some situations but I wouldn't do it here for 2 reasons. Firstly, it's an ace. People like to limp preflop with weak aces (in freerolls at least), so there's a decent chance someone hit it. Secondly, it completes a flush draw, and gives a flush draw to anyone with a high spade. I'd check/fold the turn.

As played though you really need to check/fold the river. Your opponent would in all likelihood not bet that river without a good flush.

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree you should have just seen it for free 8 2 8 could have come on the flop you dont know but i wudnt have bluffed with this hand i would have checked it all the way and folded at any resistance.