Awful Hand in £30 live freezout

X

Xavier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was playing in a live £30 freezout poker tournament last night, with around 90 entrants, and was doing OK. There were 22 players left and I had around 40,000 chips with the average chips around 25,000. The blinds were 1500 and 3000. I was small blind with 7 or 8 players on the table.
I turn over
kc.gif
4c.gif

Everyone folds round to the dealer who calls for 3000. I call for 1500. The big blind checks. Big blind had around 36,000 chips, and the button had around 20,000.
The flop comes out
tc.gif
4h.gif
4d.gif

I decide to check and slow play the hand. Big blind and button just check behind me.
On the turn
as.gif
comes out.
I decide to check again hoping someone else will bet, big blind and button check behind me.
River card come out
7c.gif

At this point I bet 3000 and big blind raises to 10,000. The button folds.
There were no flush or straight draws there and I figured the chances of me being beaten here were very low. The guy might have interpreted me betting on the end as just trying to steal the pot without a hand and thought he probably just had an ace, 10 or 7 in his hand or maybe a hand like 10 7.
I raise to 15,000. He then goes all in for 36,000. I decided to call and he turns over
7h.gif
7s.gif
and takes the pot with a full house and I only have about 3,000 chips left.
Looking back I'm not sure how I should have played this hand. Maybe I should have just called rather than reraised when he bet 10,000 at the end. Or maybe I should have bet on the turn. Obviously I could easily have just taken down the pot on the turn or flop but thought my chances of being outdrawn here were low. I really didn't think he had a big hand at the end either and just misread him
pout.gif

I thought it would help me to get some feedback of what better players think of this hand.

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You had a M of 10 assuming no antes. K4 should go straight into the muck. Even though you were the small blind what are you hoping to hit?

Then you slow played yourself out of the tournament, just be the flop and take the 9k pot, that is almost 25% of your stack. Again you checked the Turn just bet out.

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd have bet the turn - if no one's got an ace it's unlikely you are going to get anything from the hand at all.

On the river, it's much more likely in my opinion that you are ahead than behind, I think calling behind is much to tight. Raise him, then call the reraise.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
folding preflop is probably the best move in a game with no nates, if there were antes i may have limped getting a gazillion to 1 odds, but folding is still the best option.

As for the hand, i lead out with trip as by doing so, people will not put you on the 4 so you will get increased action from a ten/pp's.

After you slowplayed to death, stacking river is standard

10crow10

10crow10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you let him catch up you. really have no one to blame but yourself on that one

P

p0K35

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
K4 should go straight into the muck. Even though you were the small blind what are you hoping to hit?

They sooted! They are hoping to hit THAT FLOP!

Limped pot, 1500 to complete, perhaps read on limping tbl? 1500 into a 7500 pot? Granted BB to still act. I can make that call, priced in, minimal holdings.

[bang][Ts 4h 4d][/bang]

That is the flop you hope to hit, with this complete the SB play.

I decide to check and slow play the hand. Big blind and button just check behind me.

Why o why, would you do something this stoopid?

Even though you were the small blind what are you hoping to hit

THAT FLOP!

Check? Are you daft? Bang out a pot sized bet, take it down. Your hand is not good enough to slowplay.

C

Cilderr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can see why you checked flop, but there is no reason the check turn. I'd bet turn there and actually with that stack, I'd muck K4 preflop easily while being a SB.

D

DrewP25

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok here goes. with stack sizes, i think your mistake is checking flop. when you call this pre, you are trying to hit this flop either flush or this monster you hit. If you lead out in live play, its more like you have 10 instead of 4. if you get callers. checking turn is huge +EV play cause you are acting like you have 10. Its bigtime chance the ace is bluff card. There is your action. you don't run into the 7's full this way. and you can take a monster pot down on turn with your reraise shove. just my opinion.

Organize a Home Poker Game Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands