Is this avoidable?

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
full tilt poker Game #727573342: $1 + $0.25 Sit & Go (4806401), Table 5 - 200/400 - No Limit Hold'em - 1:23:35 ET - 2006/06/20
Seat 1: Jim_OC (2,395)
Seat 3: Sulla 27 (13,929)
Seat 4: Effexor (6,035)
Seat 5: Miss bluff (7,350)
Seat 6: fizzoff (4,600)
Seat 9: sonitek (3,126)
Effexor posts the small blind of 200
Miss Bluff posts the big blind of 400
The button is in seat #3
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Effexor [4d 4h]
fizzoff has 15 seconds left to act
fizzoff folds
sonitek folds
Jim_OC folds
Sulla 27 raises to 800
Effexor calls 600
Miss Bluff folds
*** FLOP *** [2d 2s 4s]
Effexor bets 800
Sulla 27 raises to 1,600
Effexor has 15 seconds left to act
Effexor calls 800
*** TURN *** [2d 2s 4s] [Tc]
Effexor bets 1,200
Sulla 27 calls 1,200
*** RIVER *** [2d 2s 4s Tc] [9s]
Effexor bets 2,435, and is all in
Sulla 27: uh oh
Sulla 27 calls 2,435
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Effexor shows [4d 4h] (a full house, Fours full of Twos)
Sulla 27 shows [Td Th] (a full house, Tens full of Twos)
Sulla 27 wins the pot (12,470) with a full house, Tens full of Twos
Effexor stands up
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 12,470 | Rake 0
Board: [2d 2s 4s Tc 9s]
Seat 1: Jim_OC didn't bet (folded)
Seat 3: Sulla 27 (button) showed [Td Th] and won (12,470) with a full house, Tens full of Twos
Seat 4: Effexor (small blind) showed [4d 4h] and lost with a full house, Fours full of Twos
Seat 5: Miss Bluff (big blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 6: fizzoff didn't bet (folded)
Seat 9: sonitek didn't bet (folded)

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You know the answer - put this in the Bad Beat section, not hand analysis.

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hate the "Bad Beat" section... It's so depressing looking in there and well...who REALLY wants to show their bad beat after they're done crying over it!? I dont blame Effex for not putting it in there. . . It should be renamed "The Not So Good Beat Section" or something to bring the mood up and entice more posting!

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
An argument could be made for folding preflop - I think it's a definite push or fold situation depending on how often villain has been trying blind steals from late position. I definitely don't like calling out of position with a marginal hand.

Then again it's a $1 SnG - villain could call with A5o, and I don't know if you really want to be flipping at this stage.

titans4ever

titans4ever

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I should be nicer. This is just like asking should I have layed KK down when I got it reraised? NO! The odds of them having a better hand are not that great but it is still part of the problem of playing smaller PP. You know you are going to have over cards to your set, you just have to hope that they don't hit their set as well. I have busted out of games with hands just like your before. I look at it as he had you dominated preflop, you hit your set and then he got his. He had you preflop something like 65/35% Not fun to see when yours is the smaller one.

Monster vs monster is the most frustating part of poker. You finally get a good/great hand but it is beat by an even better one. It is like flopping the flush only to lose to some donkey who chased w/ just the A and and the 4 card for the flush shows up on the river.

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was a serious question, I was not complaining about a bad beat.

I think the PF call was questionable at best, but there were only 11 people left and I wanted to loosen up a little. The villian had been stealing blinds so I thought it would be worth a call to try and flop a set. The flop bet I should have come over the top and gone all in. I'm sure he would have called knowing now what he had, but it's the play I'm questioning not the result of the hand.

titans4ever

titans4ever

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After you called his mini raise. I don't see how this hand would have finished any different unless the guy was super tight and folded to you thinking somehow you hit your set on the flop or you let it go preflop. You were not going to let it go and he just had you beat. It is just one of those hands that is going to end the same no matter how you play it, all-in.

gord962

gord962

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even if you pushed after the flop the villian would have called with over cards. As Titans said, no what you do, you are beat on this hand.

spore

spore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Basically to answer your question... the only way you couldn't have gone broke on this hand is to fold pre-flop. Pretty much after the flop there was only one hand you were behind against.. and that would be Pocket 2's... that's just bad luck. Otherwise you are WAY ahead, having your opponent down to, at best, 2 outs. So the fact that he hit on a 25:1 shot is again, bad luck.. and no you couldn't have folded on the turn or river. I mean yeah it's possible he has pocket T's or 9's but, pretty unlikely.