AQ vs a pre-flop shove

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a coinflip situation, your opponent's position is preferable. More precisely, it would probably be all-in right away. This is unlikely to change the outcome of the matchup, but it does increase your fold equity a bit.

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't think it matters how you played the hand, min-raise, open shove. The BB was doing that no matter what. I think i might have found the fold to his shove, if cashing was important to me. But overall, i don't think you done much wrong.

E

emirlidan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
seems like everyone agrees right play wrong outcome.

can't do much about it but move on to the next game.

based on position and bubble situation i may have considered a fold it'd be the wrong mentality but sometimes I like some return rather than none.

P86

P86

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's a standard play from the over sized stack he would have done that with Aj A10 but you should expect a race in this kind of positions question is are you confortable getting into flips on yhe bubble. I would consider how hot i'm running but most of the times i would have folded...

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
seems like everyone agrees right play wrong outcome.

No it was wrong play wrong outcome. AQo is either an open jam or a raise-fold because of the ICM situation with 3 shorter stacks present and 2 places to the money. And if we are going to raise small, we should never make it as much as 3BB out of a 14BB stack. A min-raise or something like 2,1-2,2BB will get the same result.

yes in an 18 player SNGO final table get KK and well history repeats itself...https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/9253xsDJE

Most tournaments end with us losing some kind of all-in preflop hand, especially when we play fast games like these turbo SnGs. So its really nothing to get worked up about. Instead you should just register for the next one and put in enough volume to eventually overcome variance. You can check out my challenge thread, where I started out with these kind of games, and see, how much volume I actually put in, and how much variance there was from week to week. As for the hand both KK and AJs was played perfectly, but of course there can only be one winner, and this time it was him.

$100-10.000 challenge on PokerStars - Poker Goals, Challenges and Wins - CardsChat™

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all I'm guessing its a Sit&go, because only 7 pays. Now min-cash is not we are aiming for I guess.
If you look at close, the late positions cover us. So we are hardly wanna get an action with 13bbs where we have to fold our strong hand AQo to a low flop or a King high flop. It makes this situation a shove. Moreover, I would suggest to shove even KK and AA from this position and stack cause you could be called, but laying down the blinds are just profitable as well.

In addition there's no ICM pressure on us, maybe it sounded like we have a serious decision cause we are sitting on 6th place, but if we are waiting for the smaller stacks somehow get out, we will found ourselves the bubble boy or a very small stack when the money-jumps becomes a thing.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I rarely go all-in with AQ . If I have everything in order with the stack, it is better to raise.In this case, I usually fold such a semi-weak hand if I get shoved. It will cost less. Rather than lose a lot.

Last edited:
S

StepUp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well it was an unecessary flip agaisnt Chip Leader
I wonder if the outcome would be the same if you open Jamed or if u opened a 2x size and then foled his shove for ICM

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
There is never a guarantee that you will win even if you seem to have done everything right. But as far as AQ is concerned, I probably would have folded the opponent had a lot more chips than you and it was very close to itm. But I very rarely go all-in preflop, not even with AA. Not to say that it doesn't, but I don't like playing all-in preflop because it feels more or less like bingo to me. I don't want to say that you played bingo, it's my own personal opinion. Because of the KK I think that was just bad luck