AQ in SB - final table of 4/180

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
screw the hand converter :)

initial limper is 24/0/4.67 over 49, i had to fold to his min 3 bet earlier in the tourney. also limped AA earlier, ended up calling my river bet on 6A333 board.

ive been playing kinda spewy, betfolding a lot, etc, my usual self 26/19 over the tourney

keep in mind stack sizes and blinds

pokerstars Game #15274575004: Tournament #77363828, $4.00+$0.40 Hold'em No Limit - Level X (400/800) - 2008/02/14 - 00:49:57 (ET)
Table '77363828 10' 9-max Seat #9 is the button
Seat 1: vanq (12912 in chips)
Seat 2: beauzo3591 (8105 in chips)
Seat 3: jmscrff (57696 in chips)
Seat 4: gopher4u (14522 in chips)
Seat 5: adam_r227 (14720 in chips)
Seat 6: COCOWASH (15896 in chips)
Seat 7: wolfferine (45439 in chips)
Seat 8: MephMaster (78536 in chips)
Seat 9: keyana17 (22174 in chips)
vanq: posts the ante 75
beauzo3591: posts the ante 75
jmscrff: posts the ante 75
gopher4u: posts the ante 75
adam_r227: posts the ante 75
COCOWASH: posts the ante 75
wolfferine: posts the ante 75
MephMaster: posts the ante 75
keyana17: posts the ante 75
vanq: posts small blind 400
beauzo3591: posts big blind 800
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to vanq [As Qh]
jmscrff: folds
gopher4u: calls 800
adam_r227: folds
COCOWASH: folds
wolfferine: folds
MephMaster: folds
keyana17: folds
vanq:....?

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well your M is 7, and we're definitely raising to remove the BB from the picture. And villain is mega passive preflop so we're not afraid of being 3-bet before the flop.

/me votes for raise to 3800.

This should remove the big blind unless he's holding something decent. And we'd like our raise to be on the larger side. Villain seems like scared money (if he's afraid of quads on an A6333 board, he's obviously a bit paranoid). Also, players like this that limp in want to see flops, and they'll usually call any pre-flop raise. Thus, we'll extract a lot out of him preflop, and then shove just about any flop to take it down. We get to act first so he should find something on the flop to get scared of.

That'd be my plan anyways.

Tigersmith

Tigersmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like a 3bet here from out of postion, i have been to many of those donk 4 dollar 180 person final tables, and people are usally scared of big 3 bets and they usally lay it down. And vang your way better then anyone at that table im sure of it lol.

Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is totally read-dependent at this stage of the T.

You can make a case for limping, standard-raising or all-in.

I don't think the numbers can tell us in this case what to do.

Tigersmith

Tigersmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is totally read-dependent at this stage of the T.

You can make a case for limping, standard-raising or all-in.

I don't think the numbers can tell us in this case what to do.
I also agree with this, 3 bet here if your read says he has a semi weak hand.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your stack were around 11 or 10k or smaller I'd say it's a %100 shove, but we're a little deep here.

I think I still shove anyways - villain's got a huge limping range, and being OOP you don't want to raise and face his postflop aggression unimproved. I just shove.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
face his postflop aggression unimproved.
I think we get looked up here by 77+ too often. And what postflop aggression are we going to be seeing if we shove all but the scariest flops?

BillyTheBull

BillyTheBull

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well your M is 7, and we're definitely raising to remove the BB from the picture. And villain is mega passive preflop so we're not afraid of being 3-bet before the flop.

c9h13no3 votes for raise to 3800.

Theoretically I like that raise, too, but the problem is -- if you get called -- your post-flop options are either check-fold or push, and with what sort of flop will you really feel comfortable pushing all-in? If villain calls he almost certainly has a pp, two face-cards, or possibly Ax, and unless you flop a straight, QQx, AQx, or AAx you just can't be sure you're ahead. . . .

/me votes AI here, because you give yourself a better chance of picking up the blinds and antes without a fight (along with villain's limp); also, this way you put the difficult PF decision on him, and you eliminate your risk of folding the best hand to a post-flop bluff.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This one really made me think... but I reckon I just open-shove this too.

First, if we just make a standard raise we leave ourselves open to hard decisions post-flop when we don't really have a lot of post-flop options: we're pretty much committed to either seeing the river or getting crippled. If we shove we at least see all five cards.

Second, it's the short stack in the big blind. If we make a standard raise, they'll be getting a good price to come into the pot. Worse, if we've been bet-folding a bit, they may shove over the top of our raise, and then things get messy.

If we shove, it turns out they've got nothing and we just take down the blinds, we're back in the running with the middle field and the short stack just got shorter. We force the short stack in the big blind to have a hand, because they know they'll be playing for their tournament life if they come in, and we put gopher in pretty much the same position.

benevg

benevg

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ive been playing kinda spewy, betfolding a lot, etc, my usual self 26/19 over the tourney...

i think this is tipping the scales toward pushing here. especially since we are oop after the flop.
2600 in the pot is not a small amount, and anyone who would call with the 6 to 5 pot odds will likely follow whatever we do here. and seeing a flop cannot really help us in making a more educated decision usually anyway.

push imho. too bad you end up 9th. :)

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oh yeah so i ended up limping and folding after an awful flop. maybe a mistake on my part but i was super wary of the initial limper who had limped AA earlier, and didnt really want to try to shove preflop to be at best a coinflip here

CrackaNACtion

CrackaNACtion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
actually a tough decision i mean usually final tables are mostly luck lol. but on this one id go allin. gl in it :)

B

Bentheman87

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate to push all in preflop with an M over 5, it just seems unnecessary and the risk (out entire stack) vs reward just isn't worth it yet. You probably have the best hand here so you can't just call, Id raise to 4000 or so and if he calls, push all in on the flop in the dark. Remember if you raise to 4000 and he calls, pot will be 8000 and you'll have about 9000 and he has a little more, so even if the flop comes rags you might still have the best hand if he has AJ A10, KQ, or KJ. And if you bet half the pot if he goes all in you have the right odds to call with 6 outs (two overcards) so you might as well push first. Even if it comes 10 9 2 and he has 77 he's got a very hard decision and he might fold the best hand.