another pocket aces

S

spindoct

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let us pretend: You are not only at the final table at the final table at the wsop (granddaddy of them all), but only three of you are left. For argument sake the other two players have approx. 4 million in chips. You have only 300,000. You are on the button and look down, and lo and behold, their they are. AA. But before you have a chance to blink, the small blind moves all in.
While thoughts of either ("about time I got something") to ("I got em now") are racing through your head, you hear "I call" from the big blind. Now it's your turn. What do you do? You fold. But wait you say. There hasn't been a flop yet. How can anybody have me beat? I can't argue with that question because they can't have you beat at that particular time. But to fold them is the correct play is to fold and here is why:
You donot want to play because if you should take some kind of a bad beat and lose, then you get third place money. But if you let them to play, Pray for a decision, (no split pot), because then you get second place money. Which will be considerably more.
During the course of your lifetime you will more than likely never find yourself in such a dramatic situation. But if you play as many Sit & Go's as I do, you will find yourself in this position a lot. There are times to play and times not to play. It is up to you to determine which is which, and to also not go through all the "theatrics" when you do throw the best hand away. Keep your "COMPOSURE" and always keep telling yourself that not only did you made the correct play, but (under the same circumstances) you would do it again.
Oh yeah, a lot of pros knew the answer to this one. But did they also know that there is a time during a football game that you should just open up your defense and let the other team score a touchdown? And not because you have a bet on the other side either. Think about that one.
Later,
Spindoct

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let the other team?? That is like saying we are up by 20pts in basketball but we will let you come back and tie the score. LOL one better Golfer is up by a shot on the 2nd place player on the 18th hole with a birdie shot. I will let you come back by missing this birdie. From your scenario you are down in chips to where you are going to have to bet the all-in. So why not do it on your best chance instead of waiting for... the 2nd best chance?

S

spindoct

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In football, Your down by 1 point. 1:55 to go in the game. And not only don't you have the ball, it's first and ten at your 45 yard line. And it gets worse. You don't have any timeouts left either. They line up to run a play, not the QB down kind either. Don't you think it will be to your advantage to just open up your defense and let them score a TD? Granted not every team has a snake (Ken Stabler-Crimson Tide-my fav.) but then again the Cardinal (John Elway) should not be overlooked either.
Now they are up by 8 when they kick the extra point. Now you have the ball back with plenty of time left on the clock. The alternitive is what? Don't forget you cannot stop the clock. The point is this, don't be so hasty. The obvious might be an illusion.
Example: Your playing omaha hi. Your heads-up. You have Ah, Jd.10h, 9d. player #2 has Kc,Ks,3s,and 4s. Here is the flop: Kh,Qd,4h. Now who has the best hand? You picked the set, I know you did. You are so wrong.
Later,
spindoct

p.s. that ploy was done in a high school game. It worked up to a point. They came back scored a T.D. made the two point conversion, but lost the game in O.T.
At least they had a chance.
Later,
spindoct

Last edited:
twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
spindoct said:
In football, Your down by 1 point. 1:55 to go in the game. And not only don't you have the ball, it's first and ten at your 45 yard line. And it gets worse. You don't have any timeouts left either. They line up to run a play, not the QB down kind either. Don't you think it will be to your advantage to just open up your defense and let them score a TD? Granted not every team has a snake (Ken Stabler-Crimson Tide-my fav.) but then again the Cardinal (John Elway) should not be overlooked either.
Now they are up by 8 when they kick the extra point. Now you have the ball back with plenty of time left on the clock. The alternitive is what? Don't forget you cannot stop the clock. The point is this, don't be so hasty. The obvious might be an illusion.
Example: Your playing omaha hi. Your heads-up. You have Ah, Jd.10h, 9d. player #2 has Kc,Ks,3s,and 4s. Here is the flop: Kh,Qd,4h. Now who has the best hand? You picked the set, I know you did. You are so wrong.
Later,
spindoct

LOL Yeah the Set to A Nothing hand.. the flush isn't made. So the best hand always will be the set. Now You can play forest gump and chase those cards down the river in hopes of making that flush. I can even give you some bait to go fishing for that straight. The best hand starting is the Set no if ands or buts about it.

p.s. that ploy was done in a high school game. It worked up to a point. They came back scored a T.D. made the two point conversion, but lost the game in O.T.
At least they had a chance.
Later,
spindoct
No they took a chance that the other team wouldn't stop them. Now that ploy would have looked worse if they lost by 8 instead of 1. Yes he looked like a genius cause it worked but people would have remembered him more if it turned into a bonehead ploy.

C

chicubs1616

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I look down at AA in that situation there is NO DOUBT in my mind that I call. This might be your ONE chance to triple up (go to 900,000) and have a crying shot at winning the tournament.

You must look at it this way...

Lets say you call and your opponents flip over QQ and KK. There are only 4 cards in the deck that can hurt you (+ a couple of runner cards to make a straight/flush). SO lets say those other cards add another out. So your opponents would collectively have 5 outs against you. There are 46 cards left in the deck, so they have an 11% chance of beating you. I would take those odds anyday.

The best case scenario if you fold is that there is no split pot and one player gets eliminated. So you COULD gain 2nd place money (Which in this past years WSOP would be a difference of $1,250,000). However, you would be dead against first place (8,000,000 in chips, while you would have 300,000).

If you call and lose, you would take the 3rd place money, which isn't too shabby.

If you call, you have HUGE odds to win the pot, especially with only 2 other players in the pot. If there is no split main pot and your aces hold up, you move into second place with 900,000 and are up against roughly 7,400,000, still a daunting task, but with two double ups, you are even.

M

maderj241

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i call and don't worry, i mean seriously with a hypothetical question like this? I'd just be happy to make the top 3, having the opportunity to triple up and watch someone else get knocked out at the same time is just icing on the cake

mongani7

mongani7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From experience

I totaly agree. Fold them ur there for the money of course. the regulars are there for the title and the bracelet so i wonder what they would do?monymaker made that choice in a tourny simmilar with leader if u remember with JJ and the only reason he called , he asked if they both lost against the chip leader would he get second "yes" he called and lost .placed 2nd he was ther for the money.. FOLD

R

rambojr03

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I let my hand do the deciding for me. In this scenario I have to agree- you call with A A. I'd much rather lose knowing I went in with the best chance to win, then not play and kick myself for not doing so. If the difference between 2nd and 3rd place was $1 Million or more dollars, then I'd maybe hestitate for a second or two. THEN I'D STILL PLAY THE HAND :)

P

poolmaster

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A great scenario, but I'd have to play the AA and take my chances. If for some ridiculous reason they split, you gave up a GREAT chance to triple up and probably (NEVER say NEVER) are dead.

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hypotheticals like this post should go in the tournament strategy section.

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/tournament-hand-analysis-51/hand-analysis-read-before-posting-174517

I think to answer this question though you have to ask yourself why you are playing. If you are playing because you want the bracelet or if you are playing to make money. If you are in it to try and get 1st place then I would call. If you are in it to try to make money, then I would fold and guarantee yourself 3rd place.

S

Shroomium

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Call. I'm sorry but this is kind of a no-brainer. I'll elaborate when im less tired :p

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Let us pretend: You are not only at the final table at the final table at the WSOP (granddaddy of them all), but only three of you are left. For argument sake the other two players have approx. 4 million in chips. You have only 300,000. You are on the button and look down, and lo and behold, their they are. AA. But before you have a chance to blink, the small blind moves all in.
Lol I think this is the best part of it all.
I guess in live poker someone can go allin in the dark? Sick eleven year bump.