Another live game analysis

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My friend and I went to a live game (about 34 people if i remember correctly) last night, and early on he busted to a really aggressive guy that made a bad call and caught. I go on and end up in 2nd with about 10 people left and get moved to this guy's table. He has me covered by about 3k-4k chips (blinds 500/1000). I have about 45k, he has almost 50k.

Hand is delt, I'm UTG+1 and the BB and sb both are almost out of chips, so I raise from 1k to 5k with my jack of spades and 7 of spades. 2 folds, and then the aggressive guy reraises from 5k to 10k total. (I put him on AK/AQ/or a pp like 8s or 9s, because he has been really aggressive with these hands, and less of a raise would make me think he had JJ or better) and it folds around and I call it.

Flop comes, 5s 6d 9c.

I immediately push all in, because aggression wins pots :D

He thinks for about 2-3 minutes, and calls. Flips over AK unsuited. The way I bet preflop, I could see him putting me on 10s/Jacks/Queens, or a suited connector possibly like 78/89/910. Either way, with any pair I would have him 75/25 beaten.

I know for sure if I hadn't pushed all in, he would have put me all in, because he had done it several times so far in this tourney, including the time he put my friend all in and caught a lucky card and busted him.

After I catch the straight, he bitches about how bad of a play I made, and I just sat there smiling back at him, being as I knocked the almighty chip leader out of the tourney pretty much.

Do you think it was worse that I pushed all in, or worse that he called?

Remember, the only reason I pushed with j7s preflop was because I was trying to lean on the blinds.

my stack, 45k. sb/bb stacks were around 4-6k each. The callers stack was slightly above mine.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
also, turn was 3s, so after the turn it was 48/52.

I personally don't see how he can risk being out of the tourney with ace high :p

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO:
well your push all in was pretty risky, and maybe a bad play, but would probably be a good play against a more experienced player who knew he couldn't call with just A high
but his call was worse in my opinion
he sounds like one of those maniacs that just keeps laying it on
anyways, hard to explain, but i say your play was a poor one against someone as bad as him, just because the play was too advanced for him
oh well ya got lucky and hit it anyways
good job - i love busting the a$$holes out of tourneys:D

F

Fish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow....
Glad it worked out for you....

#1.... You mentioned you were raising with J-7s because the blinds were almost out of chips....
Why? assuming chipleader left you alone and mucked, 1 if not both blinds are calling with virtually any hand. (most of which will have you beat)

#2. I definitely don't like the all-in raise by you, Basically, what is he going to call you with that can't beat you?

#3, His call was also poor for the same reasoning as #2....unless he had some sort of knowledge on your prior play, where you had shown down bluffs, or had been getting aggressive lately, to think that you may be overplaying A-Q or worse, well... I would definitely have a hard time calling off virtually my whole stack with just AK

Organize a Home Poker Game Top 10 Games