• Thread starter Dorkus Malorkus
  • Start date
Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early, villain here seemed pretty loose/passive but it's early stages so nothing is concrete.

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (7 handed)

Hero (t3125)
MP1 (t2680)
MP2 (t1840)
CO (t1390)
Button (t1545)
SB (t1250)
BB (t1670)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A
heart.gif
, K
club.gif
Hero raises to t90, MP1 raises to t150, 5 folds, Hero calls t60.

Flop: (t345) 8
diamond.gif
, 5
diamond.gif
, A
spade.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, MP1 bets t150, Hero raises to t400, MP1 raises to t650, Hero calls t250.

Turn: (t1645) 5
spade.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, MP1 bets t1880 (All-In), Hero calls t1880.

River: (t5405) Q
diamond.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)

Final Pot: t5405

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd like to see a larger bet on the flop here, 3/4 to Pot sized. That 150 is less than half the pot, now giving him odds to call the flush draw. There are two diamonds out there and you need to protect your top pair. If he is that loose, the 150 bet gets called anyway but maybe a larger bet doesn't get raised. There's a good chance too that he is playing AK (based on the reraise on the flop), or is (correctly?!) raising with his flush or straight draw to push you off top pair.

(Yeah, there could be a set involved here, but you're not sure about his aggression and loose/passive is less like to have a set here IMO.)

Rest is fine based on flop action.

K

Kennyseven

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with JD....anyway that is a balzy call. I would definately like to see the outcome. I have him on AQ. Just my intuition though.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
CHRIS

WFT

Horrible yuk, whats happening to you ??????? Flop/turn is nothing short of horrific.

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
CHRIS

WFT

Horrible yuk, whats happening to you ??????? Flop/turn is nothing short of horrific.

Why's that? The only re-raising hand that beats him is AA... and since there's one Ace in your hand and one on the board, it's much less likely that he has AA here than if say, you had KK and the board were low cards. So you're 95% sure you're ahead. There's a chance he has A♦K♦ for the flush redraw, but unlikely... just get as much money in as possible, which is what Chris managed to do.

Expect to see AK most of the time, AQ some of the time, a flush draw some of the time, and AA a tiny bit of the time.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why's that? The only re-raising hand that beats him is AA... and since there's one Ace in your hand and one on the board, it's much less likely that he has AA here than if say, you had KK and the board were low cards. So you're 95% sure you're ahead. There's a chance he has A♦K♦ for the flush redraw, but unlikely... just get as much money in as possible, which is what Chris managed to do.

Expect to see AK most of the time, AQ some of the time, a flush draw some of the time, and AA a tiny bit of the time.

Err nope

A5 ? 55 not likely, A8, 88, + giving a free card to a flopped semi-bluff flush draw.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$11 donk and go ?

Yer i see it in the $22's

D

Dingodaddy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you lost to AQ? i dunno, the only other hand I could see him having is AA, maybe 88 a SMALL percentage of the time. loose-passives generally dont play a flush draw like this.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, my thoughts.

Preflop - I think this is fairly standard. I'm not going anywhere with AK but once villain minraises I'm happy to just call and see a flop, no need to race (perhaps) this early on.

Flop - A on the flop, A in my hand, the likelihood of villain having AA (a hand we have to fear in a $11 against an unknown's UTG+1 minreraise) is now statistically tiny. I check, expecting villain to bet as he's shown huge strength preflop. Villain obliges, checkraise is standard. Once he minraises back I'm not worried about just calling and letting him see the turn before getting all the chips in. Flush draws just don't play like this. Occasionally you will see a donk minraising with hands like QJs preflop, but a naked flushdraw would not 3-minbet this flop. If he calls or if he pushes, then we can add various flush draws to his range, but I give him absolutely no credit for a flush draw here. So I call. What do I put him on now? I think his range is something like AK-AQ, maybe AJ, and a high pair, say KK through TT that he's unable to get away from. I'm only worried about the possiblity of 55/88 and to a lesser extent AdKd-Jd here, which fits to an extent with the action so far. There's a possiblity of him running a bizarre bluff with two cards too, of course, but this is probably at the lower end of Harrington's 10%+ chance, but even without this I'm beating his range.

Turn - The turn pairs the board but it's a nothing card - absolutly nothing in villain's range includes a 5, except possibly 55, which is statistically very unlikely now too. I check using the same logic as on the flop - if villain is going to 3-bet me on the flop I think he's going to bet big at the turn, whether he has a huge hand, has TPQ/J kicker, has an underpair to the A on board, or has nothing and is running a bluff. I'm getting my chips in regardless, so by checking I gain value on the occasions on which villain either elects to bluff when he would have folded to a big bet, or where he bets with his marginal hand trying to push me off what he has to suspect to be an Ace of some description with his mid/high pair, again when he might have folded had I bet. On many occasions when I check the turn I'm trying to control the size of the pot - here it's the opposite - I'm trying to get all the chips in because I think I'm miles ahead of villain's pushing range given the action so far. Much like on the flop, if the worst case scenario does happen and he checks behind, I'm not overly concerned about gicing a free card, as I said earlier I only really consider AdKd to be a flush probability and whether I bet or check the turn I'm doomed on a diamond river if that is what villain has. Either way his turn push does nothing to change the range I gave him after the flop action (except that 55 is now less of a consideration).

Villain's hand wasn't in the range I gave him. Try and guess if you like.

Last edited:
Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
T2 offsuit. Sure, why not. I'll discount every possible holding and go with something off the wall.

Failing that, I'll have to put him on Ax, or diamond suited card at least one being T or higher.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain had 22. I felt some bizarre mixture of bewilderment, relief, and hilarity.

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good job, you roped the dope perfectly.

K

Kennyseven

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The villain is obviously on tilt....I have done it. I think maybe you had that right table image and position where he just went brain dead. Good job at staying aggressive.