AJ suited on a live NL Hold'em tournament

J

johnnymta

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
OK, so I'm playing at a pub (no money invested other from the beers, prizes are discounts on the check for top 3)

we're down to the last 12 players or so (just before final table) out of about 40. my table contains 4 players (table balancing isn't very effective...).

blinds are 50/100, I'm UTG with AJ of diamonds.

I have about 2500...

I raise to 400 leaving me a little more than 2000, a raise I made 2-3 times in the several hands before this hand without having to show my hand at the end.

The button, a tight strong player, which has about 5500 looks at me with a suspicious eye, and reraises to 1400, leaving him with about 4000. The blinds fold.

It's a 1000 for me to call, pot contains 1950.
If I call I have about 1000 left and I'm pot commited.

What would you do instead of me?

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold because you're oop vs someone who reraised an utg raise. someone you said was strong.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold because you're oop vs someone who reraised an utg raise. someone you said was strong.

100% agree, but I take it u r suggesting the tight guy might just be getting a little pissed with u and he is trying it on? I still fold.

IMO a guy like this feels he is trying it on if he reraises with AQ!!!

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold; you're never ahead, you're very rarely even coinflipping... range of AQ+, JJ+ (which is even a slightly loose range for this move, having included AQ and JJ) kills you, and you're going to wiff most flops anyway, and lose the pot being out of position. Definitely have to fold.

J

johnnymta

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
OK, thanks... makes sense.

However, I figured out i'm getting a little less than reasonable pot odds to go all-in against KK-QQ, amazing ones against a bluff (which i really believed that was about 15-20% probable) or really good against something like TT or 99... AA is not probable because i hold one of the aces, and AK AQ just didn't seemd right (just calling in this case made more sense...)

I went all-in. In retrospective - me getting tired and not feeling like trying to find a better hand and survive with 2000 against stacks 2-5 times mine had a lot to do with this decision.

But was it that wrong?

(eventually i lost to aces BTW...)

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Folding here is almost always correct IMHO

J

johnnymta

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
sorry but I don't know what IMO and IMHO means...

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO = in my opinion
IMHO = in my humble opinion

J

jenkins_thelord

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It sounds like you are getting low so IMO i would consider starting to play aggressively. However that is a dangerous situation if you get a bad flop so I would fold.

Organize a Home Poker Game