AJ all in pre-flop

G

Grahamrock766

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello
I was playing the pokerstars Sunday Millions Satellite tonight, I was chipping up quite well, I was second in chips at the table, it was quite early in the game.

I have 59big blinds. I have AJ off in Middle Position, I raise it 3 big blinds, everyone folds, apart from the big blind who goes all in for 21 big blinds.

I did give it much thought and called.

They had AQ off and won the pot.

They were not at the table very long, so had no read on playing style.

Was this a bad call?

Or is this a call all day with my holdings?

Thank you for reading.

Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Hello!🙋‍♀️💞
It's funny, but the other day the same thing happened to me. Only I was in a late position.

I made call at all-inn. I had AJ, the opponent had AQ. the table was useless for both of us, but the chips went to the opponent.😬

In fact, there are many factors under which we decide whether to play or fold, and often I fold this hand (especially if I'm close to a bubble). But the temptation is great and of course, Lady luck will decide everything here.🥰😃

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Calling an all-in with AJo it is not so good idea. Playing AJo from middle position it is ok and the rise of 3bb shows that you are serious about it. But when you face an all in better fold.

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
After the BB shoved, it is probably an easy fold for me, especially when the price is this high to see a coinflip in the best case. Of course the BB can push with a weaker ace but this is too much gambling for me. If the BB would have had less chips or just a few blinds, it would have been an easy call. Of course the decision to call or fold should be also depending on entrants left or if the bubble has burst already. When you fold preflop here you still have a healthy stack and you can wait for a better spot.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would probably fold the AJ, because you had a good stack of chips and AJ is not a very strong hand against an all in pre flop - there is a high chance of your opponent show a high pair or AK.

lyki67

lyki67

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
I think too that all in by AJ is not good idea. Many people do it, but it's not my case.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a fold against an unknown. An important general thing to consider is, that people have a lot of incentive to rejam from SB, because they want to drive BB out of the pot. But from BB a lot of hands can profitably be played as a call, so when people rejam from BB, its typically a much stronger range. Even AQo is kind of close here in my opinion, and I would not consider it a significant mistake to fold AQo to an unknown. With AK or AQs I press the call button though.

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I have AJ or AQ and someone goes all-in even if I have three times as many chips, I fold. Growing a stack is harder than giving someone chips.

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is one of the worst hands, you don't know how to reset or answer all in, I would recommend not going and risking all the chips all the same, this is not the hand you can shove with

J

June4Spades

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have done that too, but lost most of the times. When you are desperate, that might be a good move, but with 59 big blinds I would not have risked it.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
not a terrible call however bb will most likely have a better hand or at least a small or middle pair so calling with aj only beat hands like kj, qj or any ace ten or lower so folding is usuallly the best choice however that would also depends on villain poker style. if he is a very loose player maybe calling isnt a bad choice however since you dont know these player maybe folding was the best choice.

StealTheButton

StealTheButton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to put your opponent on a hand, which usually means a range of hands. You then look at the pot odds which is something like 1.5 to 1 if I'm not mistaken. You then have to look at what kind of position you will be in if you lose. These are all good reasons to fold if you answer the questions.

The only favorable hand to run into here is something like A 10 offsuit, or A 6 suited. Even if your opponent were to jam something like KQ with live cards this is still not a great spot.

D

DaMooca

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you had a short stack I think it would be ok to call this shove, because you would be wanting to double your stack, but you have a good stack here and it's not a good idea to risk your stack all in, even more without information from the other player.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think you should have taken a risk and played a great hand you had
Hello
I was playing the PokerStars Sunday Millions Satellite tonight, I was chipping up quite well, I was second in chips at the table, it was quite early in the game.

I have 59big blinds. I have AJ off in Middle Position, I raise it 3 big blinds, everyone folds, apart from the big blind who goes all in for 21 big blinds.

I did give it much thought and called.

They had AQ off and won the pot.

They were not at the table very long, so had no read on playing style.

Was this a bad call?

Or is this a call all day with my holdings?

Thank you for reading.