tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I hear this alot, raise or shove with aces preflop and you somehow avoid bad beats, but I'm not exactly clear on how this works. Can you elaborate?

When you have AA, you have a big chance to win the game, but still have a probability to lose. The higher the number of players, the lower your chance. Using the CC's odds calculator you can see it clearly. With a pocket of aces against one opponent, you have always more than 80%. Against four, even having the best hand possible, your chance is 57% of winning. You can be beaten by someone who make two pairs with J7o, who is in the game just because is cheap to see the flop.

With a good raise, you can add value to the pot and put out some of the players and decrease your risk.

A call increases your chances to be called all in, but I think that a Cbet after the flop and turn will put the villain in a position that he can only call a shove in the end. You can make slow play without checking all the hands.

Bet All in preflop is a serious risk to gain nearly nothing with a good hand, if everybody folds. But if someone does it, it's a must call.

Last edited:
E

El Forevista

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like all in depending on the opponent and your chips

xpvictor1

xpvictor1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raise with pocket aces pre-flop

Raise with pocket aces pre-flop. Take out some of the floaters who just want to see a cheap flop. All in can chase everyone out and you miss a chance for a big pot.

W

walleye

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise. You don't want too many people on the flop.

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Well, sometimes all theory is useless. Today in CC Tuesday tournament I had a AA in BB. After four calls I bet and just two stay in the hand. Flop AK7. I bet, one folds and the other put all in. All perfect for me. I called.

He showed QT. In the turn came a 5 and in river a J. I stayed with two BB, out of the tournament. :(

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, sometimes all theory is useless. Today in CC Tuesday tournament I had a AA in BB. After four calls I bet and just two stay in the hand. Flop AK7. I bet, one folds and the other put all in. All perfect for me. I called.

He showed QT. In the turn came a 5 and in river a J. I stayed with two BB, out of the tournament. :(

How many bb did you raised?You should raise the pot by at least 8bb because there were to many players involved.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you have AA, you have a big chance to win the game, but still have a probability to lose. The higher the number of players, the lower your chance. Using the CC's odds calculator you can see it clearly. With a pocket of aces against one opponent, you have always more than 80%. Against four, even having the best hand possible, your chance is 57% of winning. You can be beaten by someone who make two pairs with J7o, who is in the game just because is cheap to see the flop.

With a good raise, you can add value to the pot and put out some of the players and decrease your risk.

A call increases your chances to be called all in, but I think that a Cbet after the flop and turn will put the villain in a position that he can only call a shove in the end. You can make slow play without checking all the hands.

Bet All in preflop is a serious risk to gain nearly nothing with a good hand, if everybody folds. But if someone does it, it's a must call.
So you shove all-in or over bet the pot in order to get the guy with the worst hand to fold so you don't get a bad beat. I agree that in most cases you should just raise, and if you think you can get called by a shove then by all means, bombs away. but you're objective should never be to avoid a bad beat but rather to overcharge your opponent for the opportunity to try. If they call, well then that's their mistake, whether they get there or not. Trying to raise someone, or 9 someones out of the pot is just bad poker.

Last edited:
tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
How many bb did you raised?You should raise the pot by at least 8bb because there were to many players involved.

I had 19 BB and bet 4. I think it's OK against limpers. I didn't wanna put everyone off and add value. Two calls. The pot increased to 14 BB. The villain had 17 bb. I bet again with 8 BB, forcing a shove/fold situation after the turn. If both folded, that put me in the top ten, with 29 bb. But I was expecting one or both shove.

He shoved, what I consider a bad decision with a draw. I would fold with 4 outs for sure. But he hits the J.

Do you think I played wrong?

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
So you shove all-in or over bet the pot in order to get the guy with the worst hand to fold so you don't get a bad beat. I agree that in most cases you should just raise, and if you think you can get called by a shove then by all means, bombs away. but you're objective should never be to avoid a bad beat but rather to overcharge your opponent for the opportunity to try. If they call, well then that's their mistake, whether they get there or not. Trying to raise someone, or 9 someones out of the pot is just bad poker.

That's my point. Why put all in or overcharge preflop with AA and get 2 or 3 bb? It only works in freerolls in the early stages, when are maniacs calling with any cards. In that case I would shove, there is a big chance of one o two calls.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's my point. Why put all in or overcharge preflop with AA and get 2 or 3 bb? It only works in freerolls in the early stages, when are maniacs calling with any cards. In that case I would shove, there is a big chance of one o two calls.
That's fine but in that case you're shoving to get called, not to avoid a bad beat. When worse hands fold, you lose.

dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
with AA, do not call, re-raise
and do not go all in right on the spot, unless you're playing some freerolls
;)

M

miley17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually, mate, it depends... It depends in which part of the tourney u are..Early mid or late game, do u want to get in the money or lose as bubble... But anyway, mostly i raise 5-10BB or all in :)

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I had 19 BB and bet 4. I think it's OK against limpers. I didn't wanna put everyone off and add value. Two calls. The pot increased to 14 BB. The villain had 17 bb. I bet again with 8 BB, forcing a shove/fold situation after the turn. If both folded, that put me in the top ten, with 29 bb. But I was expecting one or both shove.

He shoved, what I consider a bad decision with a draw. I would fold with 4 outs for sure. But he hits the J.

Do you think I played wrong?

I think you played it well. You want people to call who are chasing gutshots. That he hit it is just unlucky, but you put yourself in the perfect position to get a huge double up.

Remember, it is a freeroll, and people don't always make sound decisions in those. The only thing you might could have done different is to check the flop and then shove the turn. Your opponent then would have only had one chance to hit his jack and might have given more thought to folding.

leshausa03

leshausa03

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Silly theme. If you do not go allin with AA when the time to go ???

H

haystack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
your all in there was fine in this case just had some bad luck good job.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on what tournament you are playing, and with some players. Freeroll plays a lot of weak players, then it is better to ollyn or very big raise. In order not to allow enter the game with an average card or weak. In tournaments with the money and cash simply enough 4BB.

ThinkDiffrent

ThinkDiffrent

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you just call give them a chance of landing a set ir a flush draw, atleast raise

PokerNuts01

PokerNuts01

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends, in frirolls sometimes i play allin bcz avoided a lot of followers.. in tournaments with bayin i play miniraise or 3bet.

S

sekcapilniqt

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Give everything bro and do not think
will Chez spelled or lose
if you win welcome
if you lose your health is

B

bumerangue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm being more agressive these days, so I would raise and isolate, its working out for me

J

jokr23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would not just call with that amount nor would I go all in. May do the standard 3x - 4x bet so as not to chase too many people out of the hand. Unless it is late in the tournament I may go all in with large ante/blind, short stack. Maybe call or go all in if I have enough to call someones shorter stack raise.

ClickPoker

ClickPoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
J

John Bor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like hardcore I like always all-innnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

R

rushdaman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would agree with most of the people above me when calling was a good call with AA. I like the idea. cheers.

A

armher

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call in in early stages, raise in babble