A9 sooooted from the button

Chevren

Chevren

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Forgot to grab the hand history at the time so I'm gonna sort of wing it here, numbers aren't exact but its pretty damn close. Its midway through a 2 dollar buy in tourney villian here is gonna be mp3/chip lead has been playing loose and calling down with subpar hands 4 hands before this he 4 raised utg with 57o and called an all in with a bdsd on the flop. I have a tight image but have started to loosen up and steal a few pots recently with c bets and position plays.

NLHE Blinds 100/200

SB(6000)
BB(3500)
UTG(13000)
UTG+1(7000)
MP1(5000)
MP2(8000)
MP3(17000)
CO(4000)
Hero(9000)

Preflop:
Delt to Hero Ad9d:
1 fold, utg+1 calls, 2 folds MP3 raises to 600, 1 fold, Hero Raises to 1800, 3 folds, MP3 calls. pot 4100

Flop:
AhAc7d
MP3 checks, Hero raises 3000, MP3 Raises to 15200 and is all in.

Do I call here and hope its a bluff or do I give him credit for the stronger A or perhaps a boat fold and keep the last 4200 chips for a better time?

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whether villain is more LAG than LAP will sway my decision (stats help...), but getting more than 3:1 on your money vs a player who is known to be loose (ie has a bigger hand range here), we've got to get our money in.

He could have a smaller ace, an underpair or even a complete bluff here, though a bigger ace is of course very possible.

A

alan1983

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You put 5000 of your 9000 stack in, hit trip aces after reraising preflop against a loose player who plays ATC, the board is paired so your c-bet might not be believable and could get raised by PPs, he plays weak hands so could have a weaker, you have 2 call 4000 into that big pot with all the other hands he could have, go ahead and call.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On paired flops players often use the check/raise representing trips, I see this a lot of times, although in this case, because of 3bet PF, stacks are kind of ugly for this play. Adding the fact this guy is loose makes it even more probable its a stone cold bluff, or a high PP trying to get you to fold, but its not impossible he does have a better A.

With over 50% of my stack in this pot I don't think I can fold. I'm not saying I fine to go busto here but the mistake, if there is one, was made before and not by calling this flop.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Snapcall given stacks/pot odds. He's bluffing or moving it with a weaker Ace often enough to justify calling here - you're just unlucky he had A7 here (judging from your post). ;)

Chevren

Chevren

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol actually had AQ and got a Q on the turn leaving me dead in the water, after playing the hand I felt like it was a bad decision guess I just shouldn't be playing with dead mans hand:eek:

RammerJammer

RammerJammer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are only three things I have to hear in this scenario:

1.) It's only midway through the tournament.

2.) Hero is holding 30x the blinds in valuable chips.

3.) There's a raiser in front while holding A9.

There are only three things I need to know in this scenario:

1.) The first rule of tournament play is survival.

2.) Every chip is precious.

3.) A9 is not a hand to risk a single chip on at this stage, in any position.

The pot odds mathematicians and opponent-reading psychologists are overthinking. Shoulda folded without hesitation preflop and let someone else engage the idiot. They're too dangerous to confront with marginal hands in tournament play. Save the monsters for them. And save your stack...ALL of your stack...for better opportunities. You got the usual results of overplaying weak starters...a hard decision and a pile of wasted bullets.

B

bw07507

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are only three things I have to hear in this scenario:

1.) It's only midway through the tournament.

2.) Hero is holding 30x the blinds in valuable chips.

3.) There's a raiser in front while holding A9.

There are only three things I need to know in this scenario:

1.) The first rule of tournament play is survival.

2.) Every chip is precious.

3.) A9 is not a hand to risk a single chip on at this stage, in any position.

The pot odds mathematicians and opponent-reading psychologists are overthinking. Shoulda folded without hesitation preflop and let someone else engage the idiot. They're too dangerous to confront with marginal hands in tournament play. Save the monsters for them. And save your stack...ALL of your stack...for better opportunities. You got the usual results of overplaying weak starters...a hard decision and a pile of wasted bullets.

lol i mean no offense when I say this, but from reading some of your previous posts and this one, I have come to the conclusion that you are the biggest nit I have ever seen. You cannot just sit around all day and wait for AA and KK in a tournament. He may have 30 BB now, but in 10 minutes he will only have 15-20. Sometimes you have to make some plays and get a little lucky. The way you suggest playing in these would make it near impossible to get to the final table in any substantial field MTT.

Against a maniac like this I would make this call in a heartbeat. Just bad luck that you ran into him actually having a hand this time.

GiveUpFishy

GiveUpFishy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
2$ buy in =caaaaaaaaaaaalllll 4 sure this guy obv doesnt even care and is playing reckless

RammerJammer

RammerJammer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lol i mean no offense when I say this, but from reading some of your previous posts and this one, I have come to the conclusion that you are the biggest nit I have ever seen.
Now, why in the world would I ever take offense to that remark? :bird:

And if I'm a nit by making the recommendation to play tight through the first couple of hours of a tournament, then I'm in really good company. Tom McAvoy. T.J. Cloutier. Phil Gordon. Howard Lederer. Chris "Jesus" Ferguson. David Sklansky. What a bunch of championship-winning, poker-book-writing, no-name nits THOSE guys are, huh?

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I gotta agree w/ Rammer here, I'd fold it preflop 90%+ and especially against a loose player. The only flop that I'd really like here is the nut flush or all 9's. There is no way I'd be raising A9 here, you have to ask yourself, are you going to call or go AI if he comes back over the top of you?

Chevren

Chevren

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
are you going to call or go AI if he comes back over the top of you?
I assume you mean preflop, of course I'm not it looked like he was making a play at a pot there was little interest in up to that point so I thought I would resteal. The cards preflop are irrelevant I would have made the same play with most any 2 cards.

The problem came when I hit a very inviting flop and was dominated. I'm still on the fence on whether it was a bad call or not on one hand the player was pretty weak and it was a low buy in tourney still in the loose stages I'd say he was probably getting all in with any A and most pocket pairs and I have pretty good pot odds. On the other hand I should have seen his check raise as a sign of strength since he would probably lead into the pot with most hands and he was doing more calling down with mediocre hands than check raises and wasn't being all that tricky.

K

khand

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, you definitely have pot odds to call I mean how can you foldsuch a strong ace,, A9 for chris sek

D

dripnose

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If he has a big ace he would have played it slower. If he'd a checked it to you I be more suspicious. I'm calling that all day.

B

Bentheman87

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
EZ call, you have TRIP ACES against only one opponent, what is there to think about? He might have AK or AQ but it's unlikely since 3 of the aces are used up. What's more likely is a big or medium pair thinking that you would slowplay if you had an ace here. QQ or JJ maybe.

Chevren

Chevren

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, you definitely have pot odds to call I mean how can you foldsuch a strong ace,, A9 for chris sek

Did you even read the thread?

EZ call, you have TRIP ACES against only one opponent, what is there to think about? He might have AK or AQ but it's unlikely since 3 of the aces are used up. What's more likely is a big or medium pair thinking that you would slowplay if you had an ace here. QQ or JJ maybe.
Thats what I thought while I was playing the hand but after it was over and I began analyzing it I felt like a big A was more likely, I was probably just being results oriented :argh:

Last edited: