A3ss

J

Joed1580

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I flat called 2 bbs from a 10 bbs stack with A3ss v a aggro btn raiser from the bb we where in the money 180 out in the Classico on stars.fr flop comes 662 he calls with 88 I bust I didn't jam pre because A3 doesn't flop well ?

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You haven't explained this very well. Did you just open jam the flop when you missed? Typically, you'll be getting around 3-1 to call here and A3s flops perfectly well with those odds. If you had more chips and thus more fold equity, a shove may well be better but since the opener is likely calling with most of his opening range with your stack, a flat is fine and then you can just check/shove any time you flop a FD, SD, TP, two pair or trips profitably as well as board like 255 w/ one of your suit where you have a gutshot, an over and a backdoor flush draw. This board is not the kind of board where you would want to shove since when you're called you usually have at best 3 outs and are hardly ever ahead.

You also seem to have a fundemental flaw in your thinking. If a hand flops well, it is better to flat with here since you will hit enough boards that you can get it in on. If it doesn't flop well but has decent equity versus villain's opening range (like A7o or 44, for example), these would be a better candidate for shoving.

PCK

PCK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the situation of 10bb you have only 2 options,shove or fold...

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If BTN very more steal, so easy shove here.. call pre it is awful game.

B

baxre

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call on 10bb is inadmissible. You should play for all.

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is incorrect. Many top regs these days will peel certain hands with this stack, hands like suited connectors, weaker broadway hands, since against a min open you are getting the odds to do this. It is perfectly mathematically permissible to peel in this spot since we are closing the action and getting great odds.

X

xxMorpheusxx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting I would always go for the jam here.

Could you explain your thinking a bit more? How to we optimize this line of thinking without becoming a call station?

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's a great tool called Flopzilla which you can use to figure what kind of hands are good for calling and what kind of hands are good for raising. Essentially, we want hands that will flop equity enough of the time that we can get it in on the flop comfortably. This screenshot http://gyazo.com/2142ebfa1d67e85ef6aa985d0ccd8c26 shows how often A3s will flop decent equity (top pair, flush draws, two pair etc). So if we're going to hit that often, we can flat here and just get all the chips in when we hit.

On the flipside, a hand like 44 looks like this http://gyazo.com/3aa5cc1469fa19a838cd5ffd2dc1ec0e
We are far less likely to hit top pair of a flush draw (and even when we do it's never a good flush draw) so it's better to jam.

You can actually profitably peel things like high suited hands A LOT in the BB to a min raise, things like Q8s J7s K5s will likely play a lot better post and be dominated more often when we jam. Feel free to tag some hands and post them here or PM me them for discussion if you're not sure what kind of hands are best for this kind of thing.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think if I am in the BB facing a min raise I would flat with this hand and be happy to get it in on the flop on a lot of flops, or just check fold on the wrong kinds of flops. I think this should have been a check/fold flop (unless you flopped a flush draw).

If I have a little bigger stack that has some fold equity; I might 3bet jam. Especially if it is a loose opener in late position. The problem with jamming a hand like A3 is that you're not doing too well when you are called. usually you have only 25-30% equity when called. So that makes the jam essentially bluff...and if you're going to bluff jam preflop, your cards are irrelevant (as it's a bluff) it is just about the stack size, situation, image etc. Although for me, when I bluff jam I still like to have cards that I believe will be live against an AK/AQ calling range. so something like 97s or T8o makes me feel better than a hand like A3s.

As played, I think I would flat then check fold.