A10 - what would you do...

K_Kahne_Fan

K_Kahne_Fan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars Game #16462148520: Tournament #83356115, $3.00+$0.40 Hold'em No Limit - Level VIII (200/400) - 2008/04/03 - 16:39:34 (ET)
Table '83356115 1' 10-max Seat #8 is the button
Seat 4: 09kKahneFan (4030 in chips)
Seat 5: ffter81 (3738 in chips)
Seat 8: Crash55555 (1874 in chips)
Seat 9: mefeeney (2185 in chips)
Seat 10: YaB0yC (3173 in chips)
09kKahneFan: posts the ante 25
ffter81: posts the ante 25
Crash55555: posts the ante 25
mefeeney: posts the ante 25
YaB0yC: posts the ante 25
mefeeney: posts small blind 200
YaB0yC: posts big blind 400
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to 09kKahneFan [:10d4: :ad4:]
09kKahneFan: raises 800 to 1200
ffter81: folds
Crash55555: folds
mefeeney: folds
YaB0yC: raises 1948 to 3148 and is all-in
09KKahneFan: What would you do?

- Relevant stack sizes
Seat 4: 09kKahneFan (4030 in chips)
Seat 5: ffter81 (3738 in chips)
Seat 8: Crash55555 (1874 in chips)
Seat 9: mefeeney (2185 in chips)
Seat 10: YaB0yC (3173 in chips)

- Nature of the game (tourney/ring, limit/nl etc)
1 table - 10 person - $3 - SNG

- Blinds (if tourney)
200/400

- Limits (if ring)
N/A

- Stage of the game (if tourney - i.e. are you in the money/on the bubble?)
5 People left, 2 to the money

- Table positions of yourself and all relevant players
I was UTG

- Any reads on relevant players (even if it's your first hand at a table, say so so that people don't have to ask if you have reads)
Most of the players I had decent reads on where gone. At this point BB's only play was to push or fold.

- Your table image (more important in a $200 tourney than a $1 SnG, but still useful to know)
I showed strong hands when it came down to a SD. Kept my opening bets standard (3x).

- Any other general comments on your thought processes as the hand progresses
I knew BB's only option was to push or fold. Everyone else was pretty tight. So I figured I needed to raise to push most of the table out, BB was the only one I was worried about.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its definitely a call at 2.5:1 odds. Hopefully he has a weaker Ace or a small pair to make it a coin-flip situation.

Also, even if the table is playing tight, you have to take into consideration that you're in EP and have the full table behind you to act. So, if you're planning on getting involved in a hand with your stack size, its better to just shove. You're practically committing yourself to the pot with a standard raise, so it'll be very hard for you to fold your hand if someone shoves since you'll be getting the odds to call. In this situation, since table has been tight, I'll push with A10 and try to steal the blinds.

allndave

allndave

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this late in the game you should have a read on the table , i think you do and now believe you are beat if that is the case fold you still have enough chips to pick a better spot, three bb steals from the tight players and you are right back

P

pkrook

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry but...

u sucked yourself into calling! if u raised more preflop at least u you have a better idea of what the player has. oh well better luck next time.:(

bluesboy47

bluesboy47

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At this point I would fold. Why risk nearly all of your chips on an A=10. If you call the all in and loose you will be severely crippled. Too many hands can beat you and if everyone has been playing tight then you can assume that he has a hand. Walk away from it.

Given that you are in an early position I would have initially either called or shoved. A call because of position and the weakness of the hand. Too many over-value A-10. An all-in because everyone is playing and no-one is going to take many chances and not finishing in the money so here is a chance to steal the binds. The min raise only gets you in trouble

F

frykas

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
if a player was very active and agresive i call...
if tight fold..
bet is good i gues not much to say at this stage..

thought u have more chips nto much but u can suckout back in :)

K_Kahne_Fan

K_Kahne_Fan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure how long I should wait b4 results, so here you go...

I figured A10sooooted would be strong 5 handed, guess some of you would disagree? As y'all said, I pretty much priced myself in. Plus, I figured since BB had been pushing a lot, if anything I could easily be against KQ, KJ, QJ, 99>, all which would pretty much be a coin flip. I did call...

09kKahneFan: calls 1948
*** FLOP *** [:ah4: :10s4: :3c4:]
*** TURN *** [Ah Ts 3c] :9d4:
*** RIVER *** [Ah Ts 3c 9d] :4s4:
YaB0yC said, "unbelievable"
*** SHOW DOWN ***
YaB0yC: shows [:ks4: :kd4:] (a pair of Kings)
09kKahneFan: shows [:10d4: :ad4:] (two pair, Aces and Tens)
09kKahneFan collected 6621 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 6621 | Rake 0
Board [Ah Ts 3c 9d 4s]
Seat 4: 09kKahneFan showed [Td Ad] and won (6621) with two pair, Aces and Tens
Seat 5: ffter81 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: Crash55555 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: mefeeney (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 10: YaB0yC (big blind) showed [Ks Kd] and lost with a pair of Kings

...and the railing began.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally I would fold AT preflop here. As played fold. Villan is shoving over the chip leaders UTG raise, you have to give him credit for a big hand if you have no reads.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By my calculations you're getting 2.8:1 odds to call, meaning you need to be at least 26% to win. AT vs. KK is 32.3% meaning you made a good call even if the hands were face up. Maybe not a great raise, but at this point and depending on previous hands AT has good showdown value so I don't mind the raise. But it is definitely a call there, getting too good odds to fold at that point.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When facing a player who is push or fold mode, they will push Ax and any PP so IMO the propeper play here was to call the all-in.
You also had the odds with you here so calling with A10 was not a bad move at all, a move most of us would have made in a heartbeat.

B

Bentheman87

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What were you're pot odds exactly Kahne? Here are some useful things that you should remember it will help in situations like these. A high card and low card vs an in between pocket pair (like A10 vs KK) is a 2.5:1 underdog to the pair. When two hands that share a card with different kickers (like AQ vs AJ or 10 9 vs 10 7) the dominated hand is a 2.7:1 underdog. So if you're pot odds were around 2.5:1 or 2.7:1 or more then folding would have been a big mistake. Also His M is small so he might have had something weaker like KQ KJ or a smaller PP.

benevg

benevg

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By my calculations you're getting 2.4:1 odds to call, meaning you need to be at least 29.5% to win.
FYP
still, i would agree with the rest of the people - good call.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you're focusing on the wrong decision in this hand. Your opening raise was the problem, not what you did once you were re-raised.

Why raise enough to make yourself committed, but not put your whole stack in at once and increase your fold equity? Openshove, don't raise 3x.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you're focusing on the wrong decision in this hand. Your opening raise was the problem, not what you did once you were re-raised.

Why raise enough to make yourself committed, but not put your whole stack in at once and increase your fold equity? Openshove, don't raise 3x.

:withstupi. There's no way you can fold to a reraise here, so you must open-shove in order to minimize risks. 3xBB raise is bad unless you actually wanted to encourage action, which is a bit suicidal with ATs.

As played, it's a good call.

AlexeiVronsky

AlexeiVronsky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd push all-in preflop, you've likely got the best hand and you pick up a nice pot even if everyone folds, and you'll be priced in to a reraise if you raise to 3BB. You could have gone for min raise preflop if you want to try to suck people in, but considering your opponents stack sizes I think the all in's probably better.

beechleaf

beechleaf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well since you where priced in you had too call but you could have limped in and still got the same results if you checked your two pair because he would have wait for you too catch a a card too pair and tried too sand bag you not too mention any other that did fold because of your raise