A Tough Decision

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This happened to me a couple of days ago and I wanted your opinion on it. I'm in late position and I am dealt Ac, Qc. The blinds are 10/20 so I raise $100. Everyone folds but the big blind who raises it to $300. I call. The flop comes 7c, 3c, 10d. Big Blind bets $300 and I call (I probably should have re-raised here). The turn is 8h. Big Blind goes all in. Now, this guy is a very loose player. Even so, even if he has a pair of 3's I'm screwed. On the other hand, I got a lot of outs if he has even top pair. With one card coming up, It's a tough decision. It's going to cost me almost all my chips. After what seemed like an eternity to think, I made my decision...Now, what would you do in this situation?

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Umm, stack sizes? ;)

SexyAceJoker

SexyAceJoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends if this is a sit n go, the more would of been to push on the flop with ur draw, you are a coin flip against top pair, that includes pocket pairs like JJ QQ and KK . Could you please give more information on the tournament

X

xdmanx007

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
MUCH more info needed! Stack sizes are important! You very well might be "pot stuck" at this point.

Doesn't appear as though you made the right decision on the flop, fold or reraise. With the small blinds folding on the flop was probably your "best" move. Also you raised too much preflop.. Big suited aces aren't hands that you want to discourage action with.

Last edited:
t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
t1riel said:
It's going to cost me almost all my chips.

This was a live tournament. I had about 300 more than the opponent I was facing. So, I had about 2500 and he had 2200.

Xandit

Xandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At this point i think you have to lay the hand down. you have 9 outs to the flush another 6 outs if you think your A or Q is good. the pot is about 2800 after his all in bet. it's going to cost you 1600 to call to win 2800 your only getting just over 2 to 1 on your money so it makes the call marginal at best.
Those numbers take into conderation your A or Q being good. If your just on the flush draw you need to fold. the pot needs to pay 4 to 1 to get the odds to call.

With the blinds so low you still have 1900 in chips and plenty of time to make a move. It feels to me that he has a pocket pair or Ace/10 and has been trying to blow the flush draw off, he did a poor job with that weak bet on the turn. Then got stuck with the all in on the river.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, I did fold. He showed me his hand and he had 2d, 7d. For shits and giggles, we looked to see what the river was. The river was 6h. So, I made the right choice. I had many outs though, Still, I don't think investing most of your chips and the nut flush draw so early in a tournament is a good idea.

Xandit

Xandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That was a good laydown. I know in the heat of battle sometimes my playing gets in the way of my math.

By the way, How did you finish in the tournment?

You are correct in the read that the oppent was loose, re raising only 200 with 7-2..I know, I know, they were soooted!
Thinking back on it do you think he would have laid his hand down if you re-raised the flop to say 1000-1200?

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Xandit said:
That was a good laydown. I know in the heat of battle sometimes my playing gets in the way of my math.

By the way, How did you finish in the tournment?

You are correct in the read that the oppent was loose, re raising only 200 with 7-2..I know, I know, they were soooted!
Thinking back on it do you think he would have laid his hand down if you re-raised the flop to say 1000-1200?

I think he would have since he knows I'm a tight player. I finished 4th overall.