99 vs AA - Bad move or bad luck?

A

altruist

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand History Posting and Rakeback

I haven't seen the SB play a hand since I was moved to the table, about 20 hands ago, so I had no information on him. I figured he was limping in with a speculative hand. The other player who checked was an aggressive player and would've definitely bet if he hit the flop.

I was pretty sure the flop didn't help either of them, and decided I needed to take the risk.

Going all-in seemed to be the smartest move since any other bet is likely to encourage a draw, and a smaller bet would likely have me pot committed.

Bad move? Or bad luck?

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bad move. If you were gonna do it, you should have done it preflop. Same result, but any Jx is gonna beat you., along with all the upper pairs.

With the overcard you got to tread lightly.

dwbrown7680

dwbrown7680

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I semi agree with what DJ said....maybe 6k instead of 8k preflop, but you still get both callers....even if you check the turn i'm thinking your all in this hand no matter what....something of a cooler in a sense....really the guy with Aces is just lucky he's not cracked by what I see as a bad play of aces....but with 24k in the pot, moving all in was your only option, anything else does no good.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I disagree-- good move: you took the aggressive line, making the necessary continuation bet given that you chose to raise preflop w 99. You ran into a bit of a cooler, but hey, that's poker. Your raise w 99 preflop might be a move you might consider revising (not that it is necessarily bad)-- perhaps just limp behind and play for set value?

rounder22

rounder22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not much you could have done the guy limped in not wanting to give away the hand strength because he hadn't played a hand in a while like you stated. He just played the hand well because if he raises preflop not playing a hand for a while would make everyone think he has a monster hand. It wasn't played bad just ran into a better hand could say its bad luck too no one can fault you with going with your instinct.

Christianello

Christianello

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
terrible move not your second raise but your first one!Never raise with a small pair

A

altruist

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Two reasons I decided to raise with 99 here:
1. I was becoming short-stacked. With the blinds at 2000/1000 ante/75 and climbing, I wasn't likely to last that long. I felt I needed to loosen up and take more chances.
(Feel free to disagree/suggest/comment here.. could I afford to wait for a better hand? I never know what I should be playing short-stacked, different people have different opinions)
2. The large stack player who limped before me tends to be a loose player who limps with a lot of hands, I've seen him with K8s. 99 was likely better than any hand he decided to limp with. I wanted to isolate him, or potentially steal his limp and the blinds.

I never intended for a third player to call.

Once a third player did call, and they both checked to me, I put them both on high cards. I felt I was pot committed especially if I had the best hand.

How would you handle being a short stack?

Last edited:
SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you made the only move you could.....whether before or after the flop, you weren't going to shake the AAs. just bad luck; a good player never loses on a bad hand; you lose with a good hand to a better hand.

rob5775

rob5775

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
terrible move not your second raise but your first one!Never raise with a small pair

What? Why? 1)its a med. pair... and 2)he is the short stack and needs to start making moves.

I don't even mind a push here. His M is 8 and just by looking at some of the stacks at the table he is way behind the tourney average. He needs chips and shoving with 99 in this situation is not a bad move.

I like the raise and think he played it well. Obviously you will make a CB here and a standard flop bet will commit him anyway... so shoving the flop is really the only move. And if you were planning to shove anyway... I would shove preflop.

B

bw07507

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that it was a good move. If you just shove and someone calls with 2 high cards they get the benefit of seeing all 5 cards. I like the raise and the shove. Just unlucky that you ran into AA

btw:

This is terrible advice

pink_floyd67

pink_floyd67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you did what most people would do in that situation.
you got to take the blinds into consideration and your stack size.
odds are only people calling you have picture cards or pairs you got unlucky. Imagine you flop trips that guy would never slow play aces again.

K

Kubikas

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
you did what most people would do in that situation.
you got to take the blinds into consideration and your stack size.
Odds are only people calling you have picture cards or pairs you got unlucky. Imagine you flop trips that guy would never slow play aces again.

It doesn't matter in this situation, he could move all in, and the guy would call anyway :) about slowplaying thouse aces - that was good move. Coz he didn't gave up what he has, no information from him at that point. And he won right? Even thou it's a cooler.

M

MrCannabis

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
BAD LUCK...AND WE ALL KNOW THIS MAN :rolleyes:

E

emosquito

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to agee with dj11 that if there was any all-in-inging here it should have been done preflop

F

FeelnAcey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Geewiz! If I where dealt 99,and previous flop patterns at the table had a 9 in the flop more often then A's. I would call the bet.

Pay attention to previous flop patterns. There are tells you can pick up on.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Two reasons I decided to raise with 99 here:
1. I was becoming short-stacked. With the blinds at 2000/1000 ante/75 [M=9(it has been mentioned earlier, if you intend on raising with an M of 9, then all-in is the only action)]and climbing, I wasn't likely to last that long. I felt I needed to loosen up and take more chances.
(Feel free to disagree/suggest/comment here.. could I afford to wait for a better hand? I never know what I should be playing short-stacked, different people have different opinions)
2. The large stack player who limped before me tends to be a loose player who limps with a lot of hands, I've seen him with K8s. 99 was likely better than any hand he decided to limp with. I wanted to isolate him, or potentially steal his limp and the blinds.- with the larger stack having 10x more chips than you, there is very little chance that he would have folded if there's a chance he can take you out here. Never try to play the against the big stack unless you have a premium hand

I never intended for a third player to call.

Once a third player did call, and they both checked to me, I put them both on high cards. I felt I was pot committed especially if I had the best hand.

How would you handle being a short stack?
I would play for set value only.
BTW, why hide your screen name?

Last edited:
rob5775

rob5775

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BAD LUCK...AND WE ALL KNOW THIS MAN :rolleyes:

I don't. Who is he?

Geewiz! If I where dealt 99,and previous flop patterns at the table had a 9 in the flop more often then A's. I would call the bet.

Pay attention to previous flop patterns. There are tells you can pick up on.

What in the hell are you talking about. This is not blackjack, previous hands dealt have no bearing on the likelihood that a 9 will or will not come on the flop. There could have been no 9 dealt on the flop for the last majillion hands, and the odds that a 9 will come is exactly the same every time. Please study a little more, this is basic poker.