88 v. Loose Larry

The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been on a bit of a downswing lately. Decided to keep going with my normal SNG game when this hand came up. The button raiser has been involved in a lot of hands...shown down mostly just big card combinations.

pokerstars Game #21034242941: Tournament #112958037, $10+$1 Hold'em No Limit - Level III (25/50) - 2008/10/08 16:43:14 ET
Table '112958037 1' 9-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: luckywhite (1455 in chips)
Seat 2: BAZZA1967 (1055 in chips)
Seat 3: jerryvp (960 in chips)
Seat 4: AngrMngmt (1460 in chips)
Seat 5: LeoMJ (3270 in chips)
Seat 7: The Shrog (1555 in chips)
Seat 8: kherzakhov (1255 in chips)
Seat 9: Sampil (2490 in chips)
jerryvp: posts small blind 25
AngrMngmt: posts big blind 50
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to The Shrog [8c 8h]
LeoMJ: calls 50
The Shrog: calls 50
kherzakhov: folds
Sampil: folds
luckywhite: folds
BAZZA1967: raises 100 to 150
jerryvp: folds
AngrMngmt: folds
LeoMJ: calls 100
The Shrog: ?

davejs1671@yahoo.com

davejs1671@yahoo.com

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We are all different but for me there is 425 in the pot and I have to call another 100 to see the flop and possibly hit trips at which point I would hopefully be able to make the hand pay out well. If the flop is a bad one and there is strong action then I fold and get out.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is just a fold preflop, especially with a loose player yet to act.

Seriously, get sngwizard and start plugging your hands into that.

M

mvelas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
he says is a loose player, not an aggressive one, just call and perhaps the flop hits hard. standard move.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
he says is a loose player, not an aggressive one, just call and perhaps the flop hits hard. standard move.
Roflz, no. Calling off 10% of your stack when to setmine against a loose player probably ain't profitable, since you're going to be check/folding 8 times out of 9 or so.

The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is just a fold preflop, especially with a loose player yet to act.

Seriously, get sngwizard and start plugging your hands into that.

Thanks for the reply, two questions...

1. So is folding the medium pairs at this level just standard with this guy to act behind me?

2. Is there a fee for SNG wizard?

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1) I'm no stt guru, but I often watch moshman's stox videos and it surprises me how tight he is in the early stages. I don't doubt folding 88 is standard without a known loose player behind you, but again I'm no guru so take my advice with a grain of salt.

2) yes, $100, but you can get free (and less fancy) icm calculators. Just google or search 2p2.

edit: these results are pretty skewed because of the 'deep' stack sizes (ie not <10bbs), but it gives you a rough idea of what you should be getting involved with. Obviously we're opening like kings-jacks and tens, but I'm not sure where the line is drawn. I'm pretty sure AQ would be a fold here, AK being a raise.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Chiefer

Chiefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you are UTG + 1. if you are going to play this hand, raise, otherwise, fold it. if you get called you can assume that you are up against another small Pocket pair, suited connectors, or two overcards, ie KJ, KQ, etc. if you are up against a high pocket pair, any AK, AQ, or any AJ suited, you will most likely get reraised and then can either call the reraise depending on the pot odds or fold, again depending on the odds.

since you only called the blind and are facing a raise. i suggest you call it and see the flop. there is 425 dollars in the pot. it will cost you 100 more, you already have 50 invested. at this point you have over 4:1 odds to call the 100.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
edit: these results are pretty skewed because of the 'deep' stack sizes (ie not <10bbs), but it gives you a rough idea of what you should be getting involved with. Obviously we're opening like kings-jacks and tens, but I'm not sure where the line is drawn. I'm pretty sure AQ would be a fold here, AK being a raise.

i routinely fold 88 here, maybe raising every once in a while if the table is overly nitty and UTG limp-folds a lot. if it was 15/30 or something I would probably limp behind unless there were a couple of superlags behind me.

i routinely raise AQ here though. at $10s, lots of AJ/AT and maybe worse hands will give you action and either stack with TP or dump off a healthy amount of chips to you. still, i'm not sure if i'm right.

i would speculate that stox guy is playing higher buyin games where the aforementioned action with weaker Ax hands invariably won't happen because players aren't so bad.