$8.8 NLHE MTT: Should I have slower played this? Or donk'd?

P

PPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Called a 3-bet pre-flop as I had JQs and everyone else had folded so I felt OK going heads up with that.

Flopped Three of a Kind, three different suits, the only other card is under. Pretty certain I'm ahead, the only thing beating is surely 10-10, J10, AJ or KJ and not sure if they'd have drawn a 3-bet. Check/raised rather than doing a Donkey bet and the villain folded.

I felt fairly confident I was ahead here and was somewhat tempted to just call to lull in a C-bet on the Turn, but I've been burnt a lot recently with villains hitting outs I haven't made them pay to see. I suppose the other risky ones where villain could hit an out is any other pocket hitting a Set (which would be a Full House), or KQ (or 98) which would be open-ended for a straight.

So I feel like the Check/Raise was the right play rather than slow-playing like I normally try (although a check/check could have been riskier) or should I have just called his raise?

Or should I have done a Donkey bet?

888Poker, $8 + $0.80 - Hold'em No Limit - 40/80 (10 ante) - 9 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 5,256 (66 bb)
UTG+1: 3,829 (48 bb)
MP (Hero): 10,462 (131 bb)
MP+1: 6,025 (75 bb)
LP: 5,068 (63 bb)
CO: 4,708 (59 bb)
BU: 4,862 (61 bb)
SB: 4,783 (60 bb)
BB: 4,721 (59 bb)

Pre-Flop: (210) Hero is MP with J Q
1 fold, UTG+1 raises to 160, Hero calls 160, 1 fold, LP 3-bets to 640, 5 players fold, Hero calls 480

Flop: (1,650) J J T (2 players)
Hero checks, LP bets 544, Hero raises to 1,632, LP folds

Total pot: 2,738
MP (Hero) wins 2,738

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like just flat calling there as you also have a kicker that is a blocker to drawing hands which further limits the good hands villain could have. If villain does have an over pair then you will get value from them by the end of the hand. Plus villains SPR is less than 3 on the flop so you should have no trouble getting it in by the river. If you both were 100 BBs deep I can see more of a case for raising flop but I also think you get a lot of folds from that as well. Does depend on how often villain 3 bet squeezes here. I believe best course of action for this hand would be to call flop, check turn and hope villain bets. If they bet then it depends on how big they go whether I raise or not. You could always just check call turn as well and then lead river if you get checked to on the turn. My lead on the river would either be small or very large depending on how I think Villain plays and perceives me.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
For me QJs is a standard open from any seat at the table, but when you are this early, and someone else have already opened, its a clear fold. You are dominated by a normal EP opening range, and you still have 6 players left to act behind you. When you face the 3-bet, and UTG+1 fold, you are getting a good price, but you are also out of position with a hand, which is even more dominated by the 3-betters range. So while close I still lean towards a fold.

Flop
If he has AK specifically, he is drawing almost dead, and you have great implied odds, if he improve on a Q, so we definitely dont want to make AK fold. He could also have AQ or KQ, which have a live straightdraw, but you block those hands, and they are also 3-bet at a much lower frequenzy than AK especially KQ. So you dont have much to protect against here, and for that reason I prefer to slowplay and just check-call. Depending what the turn bring, you can then either donk lead the turn or check and hope, that he bet again.

L

lanelosee100

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
yes you should have trappedin this hand