$777 NLHE MTT: Missed Opportunity? WSOP 777

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is day 3 of the wsop Lucky 777 event. We started the day with 61 players and we are well into the money. We are about 40 mins into the day and have busted a couple people. I started the day with 23bb and I have not played a hand, so I've blinded down to about 20bbs.

My image is tight. I am the BB. Blinds are 200/600/1,200

Seat 6 in this hand the "LoJack" has a big stack of about 700,000. Seat 1 in this hand is a solid tough pro in the SB, he has about 1.2million in chips.

There is some history between these 2. Seat 6 started the day as the table chip leader and has been opening a lot of pots. Seat 1 has been playing back at him and they've already gotten into 2 big confrontations (in 40 mins that's a lot). Seat 1 has owned Seat 6 in both big pots and now seat 1 is the table chip leader, and seat 6 is 2nd in chips at the table. But both are still huge stacks in the tournament with average being about 370,000. I would imagine at this point, seat 6 is quite leary of playing pots with seat 1.

So, in this hand there are 3 folds to seat 6 in the LoJack and he min raises to 25,000. (yet again!).

It folds to the SB who flats.

Before I even look at my cards I think: "OMG, this is the most perfect squeeze opportunity ever. My stack size is right, my image is tight and I can leverage the Big stack against the other slightly smaller big stack. The SB will almost never have a hand strong enough to call my shove; because if he had a strong hand he would likely 3bet preflop rather than play a strong hand OOP vs. another big stack's wide range.

And seat 6 will have a hard time calling my jam with Seat 1 still in the hand putting his whole stack at risk.

Quickly I am thinking about the bottom of my range and I think "any pair. any suited 2 gappers or better, or unsuited 1 gappers or better down to 56 offsuit"

Then I look down at :kh4: :5d4: I hesitate. I imagine that one of the only hands seat 6 could call me with is AK...and K5 would be dominated by his calling range. I'd rather have live cards. However, I still think that my 2 particular cards don't matter; that neither player can call without a monster. But once I've hesitated I lose heart and Fold.

Thoughts? OK to fold. Or should I take that opportunity to squeeze any 2 cards and increase my stack by 5.5bbs or 27%?

Also, I realize that I'm getting better than 6:1 on a flat here. But I think flatting with this hand and this stack size vs. 2 very tough opponents is my worst choice....though still not a terrible choice due to great pot odds.

Last edited:
W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
honestly didn't read too much of this, but it all seems like a good spot to squeeze to me. Nothing worse than just letting good situations go because "oh i might get a better spot later on".

Sometimes you have to just totally disregard your standard ranges in spots and just pull the trigger with absolutely nothing as the situation is just too profitable to not pull the trigger.

While this isn't an exact situation i've come accross in live games that much, i also have done similar things in regards to not looking at cards until it's your turn to act. I've found i'm much more likely to not pull the trigger or to give away tells if i wait to look at cards so what i generally do is take a really quick look while i observe the rest of the table. That way, for me, i can make a decision knowing all the aspects of the hand before i decide, rather than deciding some move is best, then checking out to see if my cards match my thoughts. Hope this makes sense sorry i'm in a rush, but i'm a huge fan of not waiting to look at cards. Of course you have to be a little more aware that you may be giving away tells preflop, but really if you work out a routine it won't make too much differance in my opinion. and for my particular "style" not waiting gives away way less than waiting until i know eyes are on me to make my move.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think in this particular spot I should have decided on "any 2 cards". And then only "pretend" look at my cards as a fake out...knowing full well that if I look at 23o or j2o I'm jamming.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think in this particular spot I should have decided on "any 2 cards". And then only "pretend" look at my cards as a fake out...knowing full well that if I look at 23o or j2o I'm jamming.

that works too :)

4soul

4soul

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
keep time and when no clue what you must do ...teoretically... you must do what you feel....so folding there into a "no name mtt" is not like the moment of your most important mtt of your gameplay for a long time. interesting fold....good ....must wait a little more...after all? is all about poker and discipline and time ;)

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
..so folding there into a "no name mtt" is not like the moment of your most important mtt of your gameplay for a long time. interesting fold....good ....must wait a little more...after all?

I don't think any wsop bracelet event is a "no name MTT". Especially on day 3....but your point is well taken that it's not my most important poker decision ill ever make...

D

DGOOD

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think flat is the worse play (IMO). I think this is a great spot to shove with any two, but you still have some play left and being day 3 of a wsop bracelet tourney i can see the hesitation. You may be able to find a better spot to put it all in with than k5o so its more of a feel spot. I think its a great play to shove but i dont think i would have the guts to do it!

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have gotten out of that hand in a heartbeat. It is too early to get into panic mode, and while the spot was right for picking, I would be looking for an opportunity to get a double up (jamming with something that you hope gets a call) vs. risking my tourney life by jamming with marginal cards and hoping for folds.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
M<7, you have your image and these 2 players have been active. Feels like the right spot for the AI squeeze. Absolutely correct you cannot flat here.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
God I just had another night of being card dead in a tourney with good players who would respond accordingly to moves like this. All I can say is I didn't pull the trigger again with an OK hand and it would have worked out just fine. I ended up waiting way too long for a hand as strong as K7 then I ended up jamming T6 desperatly, and lost.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually against a villain with big stack they will not hesitate to call,but imo small pair like 44+ is good enough to shove tho.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Trust your instincts and pull the trigger. You are scared of doing it because likely you don't do it enough. Don't think he could have AK. Think I've got a blocker to AK. Practice this online at lower buy ins and push out of your comfort zone.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is something I am practicing at lower buy-in MTTs online and it's not always easy. Especially when you're sitting on that 20BB stack and you start hesitating or thinking you can wait for a better spot.

In the end, I always end up regretting not making the move when I have the chance.

Delvuter

Delvuter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am pretty sure Merson won the 2012 WSOP Main Event w/ K5. I have loved the hand ever since. He shoved and was called and it held up.

WSOP